1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maid kejriwal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear ps
    Who would not want a honest n efficuent driver.but if I have two guys to choose from I would choose the efficient chap keaving out tge good chap who will oractice on ny car outtibg our lives at risk

2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kamalji, With due respect, I beg to differ in both the maid and Kejrwal case.
    About Kejarwal, that he has not seen money, he could have, he was an IITian and also was in administrative service. So, if he had greed for money, he could have come to USA (its so easy for IITians, exceptions are reserved categories) or could have earned money in administration by passing the files..........but he chose not to. So, I will still say honesty is there in him, but I would not guarantee the other members of his team.
    About the maid case, being here in USA, I have seen the honesty in the people here, they usually never blame any one without having reasons. The Indian politicians made a huge cry over nothing, it was all Vote bank business.......it is only to show how much they care about their people abroad......what a JOKE......
    When they can not do anything for the people that stay in their own country, tons of victims still sitting in INDIA waiting for the jury, why these politicians not helping them to resolve the issues rather than making fuss in outside matter......and they have not sponsored any green card to any maid, only her family members were well taken care of so that Ms Devyani's Husband/father could not do more harm to the poor pepople.
    Think again, why on Earth America chose only Ms Devyani to take revenge against India.........so, let the police do his duty here and stop far cry over nothing .....
    I have no intention to hurt any one's feeling.
    Meeta

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

My dear friend Kamalji,

It is my understanding that the actual minimum wages w.e.f. January 1, 2012 is actually $8.25 going up to $9 w.e.f. December 31, 2013. In the US, generally, maids work for 4 or 8 hours and leave the house that they serve. In case of the IFS officer, her maid's responsibilities included cooking, cleaning, babysitting and many others. It is my understanding the complainant filed a petition informing that she worked from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. everyday which works out to 18 hours a day. It is also my understanding that the complainant also informed the labor department that she was not given a break over the weekend as well. This works out to back wages of 18 hours X $8.25 X 30 days = $ 4,455 a month.

You might ask what about the food she takes at home and her residing in the house. In the absence of any contract to deduct boarding and lodging charges, her staying at the employer's house will be considered work related by the labor department unless there is a mutual agreement between both parties. Therefore, most people prefer their maids to leave after working for a few hours. For your information, labor laws are pretty strong both in New York and California because of the high level of immigrant population.

Franky, people with earning capacity of $20,000 or higher per month also think twice before hiring full time maids at home in those states and obviously, it would definitely be out of reach for an IFS officer to hire someone as a maid at home full time with a monthly salary of $ 4,500 a month unless she does not expect the maid to be available at home for long hours. It is high time that Government of India think of compensation the IFS officers working overseas to pay adequate compensation as otherwise, the IFS officers will have no option to violate the labor laws of the US, if they have to hire maids. Frankly, $4,500 a month salary is too low for someone of an IFS officer's status lead a decent living in New York, leave alone hiring a maid.

The allegations made against the IFS officer is filing a petition to get visa for a maid without paying her the minimum wages payable as per the laws of the State of New York. It is my understanding, Preet Barara will not even file a case against anyone unless he validated that the offense is prosecutable with enough evidence. I will be very surprised if he loses the case against the IFS officer.

I hope this will answer your questions.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meeta,

My feelings aer not hurt, andneither i take it otherwise, for thse are forums for discussions and everyone has the right to air their opinion.And still we can agree to disagree. So here goes.

Not eery IIT ian is a wealthy person, and not every indian in america is wealty.i have many relatives in USA, and many are on hand to mouth.For me, America is not the sure shot way to Riches, india is better in that sense.

Kejriwal, is a dreamer according to me. Giving free water, and giving subisdized electricity, from where is the money going to come from ? So tax rthe rich.is being rich from yr yr own hard work wrong, tobe penalized by high riates ?The rate must be one for all.

REgarding the maid, so many questions remain. Yes devyani underpaid the maid, yes it is a crime in america, agreed. There aer many crimes , but their punishments differ. Here , the punishment is of the highest degree.Can preet justify cavity search, which is done for dangerous criminals?

And then why did the maid agree to 30,000 in india? if she had said iw ill charge u 4500 dollors, when i work for u in america, would she have gone there ? Do maids of her calibre and expierence get 4500 dollors in india ?

Theis is vendetta and vindictivness i feel , from the severe actioon preet has taken.

kindly find out and let me know how much are maids and drivers paid in India, by the american embassy and theior personel ?

Does not preet feel sorry for devyani, that she gets paid less er than the maid?

There i end what i have to say, let us say we agree to disagree.No hard feelings please.

Regards

kamal

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Preet is trying to be please his american bosses, , and we know he is ambitious. So what better than to pick a scrap over a small thing like wages. When u want to pick up a fight, u can choose the smallest of the issues.

OK, what do the Americans pay to their maids and drivers in india, may i ask preet! And why ispreet not sorry for the diplomat, who receives a salary lower tha n a maid in american !!!!

Preet wants to move up in the politican circle, it is our politicans who are lousy here. They must deport the "partners " meaning gay parnters back to america, or lock them up as homosexuality is a crime in india, so we cal lock up both the partners, we want to know what their staff is paid here, and so on.

America wants privileges but one sided ones. and our politicans are spineless sorry to say.
    i am not saying devyani has not committed a rime, but cavity search eh ! Horrible and shameless.
    Regards

kamal

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamal,

He is a prosecutor and what do you expect from him other than prosecute someone who violates the law? What is the point in his being sympathetic to a consular officer who is underpaid by the Government of India? He can't direct Government of India to pay better salaries to their consular officers. He can only control the implementation of laws in Manhattan.

There is no question in my mind NYPD could have treated Devyani better considering her consular status. Preet doesn't handle NYPD and he is a prosecutor. Again, Devyani was not subjected to cavity search (it is propaganda by the Indian press and Government of India and Preet already responded to it) but she was subjected to strip search by a woman officer. Unfortunately, many police departments have procedures that are cumbersome and unnecessary.

Preet enjoys a great status already as a prosecutor in Manhattan. I don't understand how arresting and prosecuting Devyani was going to help him in his career ambitions. He had handled much high profile cases than that.

Government of India has every right to enforce the laws of the land as they deem appropriate. If gay relationships are illegal in India, they have every right to deport American diplomats who are gays. Government of India also has already requested for salaries paid to Indian staff and if they are not paid minimum wages, the Government of India has every right to proceed against person responsible as per law.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  7. Frontier

Frontier Silver IL'ite

------
    As far as cavity search is concerned, everyone goes through that before they are put into the holding cell. I don't know where you got the info that cavity search is done only for hardcore criminals. Check the Supreme Court ruling that states cavity search is allowed no matter how minor the crime is. The diplomat lied on the visa documents as well as did not pay the minimum wage as per US standards. If you have checked your facts, this is not the first case where maids have been mistreated by diplomats. I think the prosecutor wanted to send a message that one cannot use diplomat immunity to get away from the crimes they have committed.

bottom line if you cannot afford to have a maid then don't have one..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Kamalji,

I have no problems with Kejriwal but when people start shouting from the rooftops that they are the only ones who are honest, thats where the problem creeps in.

Many a time, I find AK contradicting himself. His entire campaign was based on how AAP was the only honest party and all other parties were corrupt but then he goes ahead and inducts ex-BJP n Congress members into his own party !! So is he trying to say that when candidates from corrupt parties join AAP, they suddenly become honest ?

He says that AAP does not have an alliance with Congress since he never asked for their support - so what is he trying to prove here ? That he is running a majority government which doesnt need support from the very party he has been criticizing before elections ?

I feel some of his decisions as CM could have been better researched. He has decided to set up porta cabins for the homeless under flyovers and other such places where a group of 10-20 people are huddled together for the night. Shelters for the homeless is a good thought but erecting these all over the city ! So if 20 homeless people decide to sleep on the footpath near your home, you can have the pleasure of being greeted with new neighbours in the morning where there weren't any the night before !! This is in addition to all illegal colonies being regularised and slums not being demolished till land is allocated for their rehabilitation.

He has decided to provide free water rather than concentrate on upgrading the system to include more households in the network. His "lifeline water" slogan is making everyone feel that delhi is a city with surplus water which is not being distributed properly whereas in reality its quite a different story.

AK wants to abolish contract labour and give permanent government jobs to all those who have been hired on temp basis - is this practical ? At a time when other countries are aiming to reduce doles n tightening their purses to come out of recession, India is doing the opposite !

Initially, I was quite impressed with the man and his zeal to bring about a change but now I see his political ambitions overshadowing everything else. The over confidence of AAP members in daring other political leaders that they can defeat any and everybody is something that can be avoided at this stage.

I hope that in his rush to prove that he was the messiah that delhites have been waiting for all these years - AK doesnt leave delhi with more problems than before !

love,
    Kylie

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

The least preet could have done is to ask the maid, did u agree to come here on a 30,000 salary, did u sign that contract, how much were u getting before thisin inda(30000 is a kings ransom vishwas for a maid, in india)

And why is he bothered about the maids family being harassed ion india that the american embassy paid for their visas and air passages to the states ?

Anyway , i agree that deviyani did commit a crime, but not such a one where she needs a bail of 2,50,000 dollors, an atrocious amount for a crime such small as this.

Anway let me close this discussions for we are going nowhere, so let me sum it up, that let us agree to disagree.HAHA

Regards

kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Frontier,

none of my many cousins in america can afford to have full time maids. What devyani did was against the law, but it was not that severe, for a body search, cavity search, and a 2,50,000 bail bond.Atrocious is the word.

if u kill a fly and if u kill a human, and if both are crime, u cannot sentence both to death.

Why was the family of the family secretly airlifted to America, ? They aer interfering in our internal matters here. And how as the figure of 4500 dollors arrived at for the maid, at 9.75 dollors an hour, at 40 hours a week,.

Did preet try and find out, if the maid agreed to come to usa at 30,000 a month, that is 500 dollors, ?Why not prosecute the maid herself, when she went back on her word of 500 dollors. Did the maid not know what is the salary inamerica, or is she a babe in the wooods?

Agreed Deviyani commited a crime, but so did the maid, what are they doing to the maid ?

i close the topic here, thanks .

Regards

kamal