1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bridal trousseau for the minimalist

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Kera, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

My wedding is in 7 months and I am slowly trying to collect desi outfit suitable for married lady. I wear desi clothes often (saree, kameez, home kameez) and I see similar trend after marriage. Now tge problem is, I have lot of crap pilled up from decade of bad shopping. Most of my current outfits arent worth taking over. I also want to start over n have a minimalist approach to my new closet (I.e. buy 1 gold jewelry n 1 silver or stone, these will go with 90% of desi outfit. No need to buy color matching).

I am looking for list like that so I can start collecting essential. What are some must haves?
    1) Recently I brought floor length kameez - its modest inlaw appropriate I assume n in style. But I dont see a reason for 5 floor length kameez.
    2) I have a cotton banarasi kameez that I love for normal wear to visit shop or run erran
    3) my favorite white Churidhar is another normal erran run worthy clothe
    4) mi have 1 lehanga saree that I like and a pink heavy design saree I know I will take

what else n how many should I take?

1 person likes this.

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations Kera.:)
    My:my2cents

- Stock up Kurtis, leggings/patialas - Can Mix n Match and get different looks with a few of them.

-Sarees- a few in Cottons ( Can choose different types- like batik, bandhini, Bengal cotton etc etc) , Some good Crepe/Chiffon/Georgettes for the less formal look.
    - Blouses with interesting prints/embroidery/mirror work to team up with the sarees for different , classy look.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I have never thought of mix/matching kurtis and shalwars (patialas) together. Thats different.

Do I never cotoon sarees? I am on the chubby side and have always stayed away from fluffy/hard materails. I have mostly worn georgettes/chiffon/crepe type sarees, I have good collection of that. But those were collection as a single girl, I figure i need to change a little bit to make it newly married appropiate.

4. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I took out all my saree's this weekend and picked out which i will take with me (old/new). I think i am set with sarees

4-5 fancy saree for parties/invitation to others house
    4-5 Easy wear sarees I can wear around house if guest are coming or to go over relatives house. These are easy to put on and most I have worn several times before
    2 very casual wear at home sarees

Went thru my jewlers and found matching necklace/earring. Now need to match bangles wth it so I remember all this

Next week I will go thru kameez and sort them out between party wear, casual and in-between

1 person likes this.
  5. naliniraut

naliniraut Bronze IL'ite

Congratulations dear.
    It is always wise to invest in Silk sarees, as they look very elegant and are everlasting fashion wise.

6. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi
    Congratulations!
    I would like to suggest a couple of printed silks.These are affordable and look very elegant!Easy to wear and never out of style.
    Silk cottons are also in fashion and are not as stiff as cotton or as heavy as silk. I would suggest that you choose such sarees that can be worn with 2 different kind of blouse, one that can mellow the look of the saree and good for casual wear, and one that will give a rich look to saree. That way you can use 1 saree for different occasions!

1 person likes this.
  7. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

Is silk saree easy to wear? I have never worn them but always been under the impression one needs to have perfect pleats to wear those.

You reminded me I need to stitch a golden blouse and maybe one one other to use with normal saree.

8. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi
    The silk cotton and printed silks are both easy to manage. Pleats can be made very easily in both. You can check out these textures in some shop and decide if you will be comfortable.

9. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I thought i was set with my shopping. i did not want to buy too many unncessary clothes as style changes. But yesteruday my fiance asked if i can buy the 4 sarees they were suppose to give and my makeup kit that they were suppose to put together.

I only have a month and half to go and he ask me NOW? I was certain his bhabis will take care of this & was looking forward to getting things that others have picked out (different from my style). four saree from groom side to bride side are suppose to be expensive and above normal sarees. I dont even know where to start from. From the comments above I have:

1) get one silk saree
    2) get a saree thats worthly of wearing in walima (maybe banarasi katan, not sure)

What do I need in my makeup kit? My family doesn't knwo I am putting this together so i don't want to embrass my fiance to my family by putting too little

do I buy a ready made makeup kit, which i most likely won't use much but maybe I can return it after our wedding
    or
    do i find foundation..eyeshadow from different brand that I will use & make a kit myself?

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Kera, for sure buy a kit which comes with basics of everything. Most brands starting from Loreal to Chanel have it. Depending on how much you were allowed to spend, certainly go with the already-put-together-one; especially if you do not wear makeup on a daily basis.
    Dont get stressed about sarees. My marriage was fixed in a hurry and I had 3 days to put together my whole wedding wardrobe. I went to a good store and picked everything without trying on to see if the color suits (i already know what suits me). Make educated choices. I mean, you already know which colors suit you. So, stick with those colors and you will not go wrong. Dont go to 10 different places. Stick with one since you have less time now.

And you are right about proper silk sareers which come with borders. You will need to know how to tie properly; else, you are going to look a little on the heavier side because of the border/texture. If someone from a parlour or some lady in the family is helping you tie sarees during/soon-after wedding, then even silk sarees should be good.

1 person likes this.