urgent !! Moving to london - need info on schools

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by HasiniS, Sep 13, 2012.

1. HasiniS

HasiniS Gold IL'ite

Dear ILs

I am moving to London next month and have a toddler boy who would turn 3 coming Jan. When I was talking to my friends about finding a house for us they suggested me to decide about the school and then finalize the area where I would settle. They dont have a kids so they dont have much info on schools.:spin Can anyone please tell me how I should find a school for my son ... He would go to pre school and continue further schooling in the same school. This is urgent because I need to decide an area and tell the agent to look for a house in that area. Any info regarding this would be very helpful for me ...

2. Maha Raj

Maha Raj New IL'ite

Hi Hasini,

I am also looking for info abt schools to decide on the area.Have u moved to London? Do u have any info on schools? My daughter is 7 yrs old and she is in 2nd standard now.Pls share any info that u have.

Thanks in advance,
    Maha

3. Geetee

Geetee Silver IL'ite

Hi hasini and maha,

If you could specify the city you are planning to move that will help. In London you will find information about the schools in the local council office and even in the local library . There are council schools and independent schools. The council school is free of charge and independent school you need to pay, it cost roughly around £2000 - £2500 per term i.e is for 3 months. The intake period is September, however in council school they may admit children through a term and it vary in independent school.

Hope this helps.

4. Maha Raj

Maha Raj New IL'ite

Hi Geetee,

Many a thanks for ur reply.I am looking at local council schools with atleast few Indian kids.We are planning to rent a house based on this.I dont know if it will work.Which area do u stay in?

Maha

5. Geetee

Geetee Silver IL'ite

Hi maha,

I live in harrow, london which has got Indians, if you take any school, there will be few Indians in the class. Nowadays you find Indians everywhere except proper English village. Renting a house should not be a problem, you can rent an apartment to start with. Do you have any idea where you will be landing?

Geetha

6. Maha Raj

Maha Raj New IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

My husband will be landing there this weekend and his work location is close to London Bridge.We preferred areas like Harrow,Croydon etc. We heard abt Krishna-Avanti and Newton Farm schools in Harrow LA.If we could get interm admission for my girl we will move there by mid-Dec.Hopefully we should get admission.....
    Thanks a lot for ur replies...
    Maha

7. Geetee

Geetee Silver IL'ite

Hi maha,

Welcome to London. You have actually done your homework. Krishna avanti is a model Hindu school, started recently and its doing good. Newton form school is also good. The schools allocate place for a child based on how close you are to the school I.e catchment area. . Good luck.

Geetha

8. Sirigeeta

Sirigeeta New IL'ite

Dear Geetha,

I guess you are still living in Harrow. I worked as a GP in Southwark, London. Recently, I got transferred to the Ridgeway Surgery in Harrow HA2 7DU. I wish to join my 3 yrs old daughter at Newton Farm School, I would like to know whether you or anyone you know have any house to rent or share at the catchment area of the school.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Geetha Siri

9. vaishali13

vaishali13 New IL'ite

Hi Maha Raj,
    I am Vaishali and looking for good primary schools for my son. You must be in London already. Can you please let me know which area are you staying in?

Thanks,
    vaishali