1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

About coconut oil

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Brammi, Apr 5, 2008.

1. soji

soji New IL'ite

Hi ,I am from Kerala and uses coconut oil for cooking, apply it in hair and use this oil for massaging the new borns.

2. nokia6681

nokia6681 New IL'ite

coconut oil is good...i use everyday with neem oil to my hair.....:)

3. annapoorna_cs

annapoorna_cs New IL'ite

hi

can any one suggest a good brand of coconut oil for cooking.

annu

4. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Very nice information about coconut oil. Thank you very much.

5. URwithPreeti

URwithPreeti Junior IL'ite

Nice article ...I also agree with the posts in this thread ....coconut oil is really good for hair ..i have very long soft thick black locks and i massage them with lukewarm coconut oil regularly.
    I haven't tried cooking with coconut oil yet but after reading its usefulness in cooking and health benefits i would definitely give it a try :)
    Please suggest me a good cooking oil(coconut) brand??
    Thanks all for the useful information!

6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi preeti,

KPL, KLF are leading brands in coconut oil. check in Indian or Kerala stores. It gives a wonderful aroma to the traditional dishes. giviing you some simple recipes

Beet root (dry subzi) : Grate beetroot. Chop onion & green chilli and grind it coarse in a mixer (without water). Heat coconut oil, put mustard seeds, when they splutter, add the coarsely ground onion-greenchilli paste. Saute till raw smell goes. Add Turmeric powder, salt and grated beetroot. mix well, cover it completely with a plate with some water (to prevent burning) stirring occasionally and cook till beetroot is done.

You can do carrot subzi in similar way.

Boil Elephant Yam (chenai / suran) adding haldi and salt. Mix in little coconut oil and curry leaves. simple yet tasty. For variation heat coconut oil, add curry leaves and pepper powder and add to it. if less water is added can had like a side-dish for rice. If added little more water, can be had like sambar.... very good and sathvic diet while having stomach problems.

lot more yummy dishes are there. You can use coconut oil for frying urad papad. they smell and taste good. Happy cooking :)

7. URwithPreeti

URwithPreeti Junior IL'ite

Hello Mira ! Thanks for the healthy / yummy recipes and oil brand names ..now i can look for these in my next grocery store trip...my husband likes Suran veg a lot so i am going to try that first :).
    I look forward to see more coconut oil recipes from your end :)
    Have a nice day ahead !

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

I generally like coconut oil. Thanks for sharing

9. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi preeti. Did you try the suran recipe? some more simple recipes :-

Ivy gourd / tindora / tendli / tondli / kovaikkai / dondakaya - add haldi, salt and cook till tender. In a kadai, add little coconut oil and saute the cooked Ivy gourd. Another simple & sathvic vegetable is ready.

Grated coconut, few shallots, red chilli - grind together little coarsely. add salt and little coconut oil. this goes well with white rice and also as a side dish.

Ashgourd / White Bhopla / Poosani kai :- slice them thin and add salt, vertically slit green chilli and little water. cook till transparent and tender. Mix in a tsp of coconut oil. (variation : can add a tbsp coconut milk or normal milk) to enhance the taste.

10. diame

diame New IL'ite

Hi,

I just feel so confuse about the coconot oil so how can we determine that it is a hydrogenated coconot or not?
    Please discuss me all about it.