Misconception or Presumption ? (Beware:It is related to Islam)

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Yumna, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

2. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

3. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  4. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

This article is by a respected Muslim scholar on Nelson Mandela and in which he details what should be Muslims' reaction to his death as per Islam

Nelson Mandela: A big Loss but…! | Islam21c

I don't have a problem in learning about the truth in a no holds barred manner. I am just not able to understand, why religion should be a big divider, even to the extent that all good deeds in this world count for nothing in comparison to submission to a deity.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Thank you! I appreciate the way you have approached this subject.

First of all,Let me tell you that we Muslims don't take Islam as merely a religion...that does not fulfill its actual purpose.It is a complete system for us.

The literal meaning of the word Islam is "willful submission and obedience".And being a Muslim entails willful submission and obedience to God, and living in accordance with His message.

The basic foundation of the Islamic faith is belief in the Oneness of Almighty God.That is the fundamental obligation.

The worship of the One GOD who has created us.without ascribing any partners to HIM in worship.And we believe that the only purpose of our creation is to worship Almighty God.

Whatever we do,we are supposed to do it for the sake of Almighty.To please Him.

Before doing any good deed or doing any good to others,primary obligation is to obey Allah.Let me clear again that when we say 'Allah'...we do not mean it is a God who belongs to Muslims;we mean the same God who has created this universe,who has created you and me.

So even when we are serving others or doing good to others;Muslims or Non-Muslims;to those who are family or those who are strangers to please our creator,we are actually serving Him.

And in Islam,for any deed to be accepted,first obligation is the belief in One God;who is the ultimate source of all good.

And,it is not only for the Non-Muslims,even if Muslims are doing good but with the intention to be seen by people and to get their appreciation.As there are people who get satisfied with other people thinking high of them.so such will have no reward for that good deed in the Hereafter.

Quran says,

Whosoever desires with his deeds the reward of the Hereafter, We give him increase in his reward, and whosoever desires the reward of this world with his deeds, We give him thereof what is written for him, and he has no portion in the Hereafter. [42:20].

Hadith (I am quoting a part of a long Hadith):

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon Him) said: ' A man judged on the day of judgement will be a person who acquired knowledge and imparted it and recited the Qur'ân. He will be brought forward and Allah will make him recount his blessings and he will do so. Then Allah will ask: 'What did you do for these blessings?' He will say: 'I acquired knowledge and imparted it and I recited the Qur'ân for your sake.' Allah will say: 'You are lying. You acquired knowledge so people would call you a learned man and you recited the Qur'ân so that people would call you a good reciter. Indeed they called you these things.' Another will be a man who Allah had enriched with all manner of wealth. He will be brought forward and Allah will make him recount his blessings and he will do so. Then Allah will ask: 'What did you do for these blessings?' He will say: 'I spent money for your sake on every cause in which You wish money to be spent.' Allah will say: 'You are lying. You did this so that people would call you generous, and indeed they called you that.' [Sahîh Muslim]

In other Narration it is said that such a person will be asked to ask his reward from those for whom he did those deeds.

So it is not only about Non-Muslims.Good deeds are rewarded on the basis of their intention with which they were performed.

I have personally observed ( i am sure many of us would have) people who in general would never even talk politely to those who are lower in status or position but if they come across a person who can benefit them in any way,their behavior change and they will treat them as best as they can.

Some one who would humiliate parents and other elders at home but if they are surrounded by people at some occasion they will behave as if they are so respectful towards them.

Someone who will never give a single penny to any one needy,will give a lot more just because there are other people present and he/she want to show how generous he/she is.

So actions are but by intentions.

On a lighter Note,some one who does not believe in the One Deity and the Day of Judgement,how it matters that if he or she will be rewarded in the hereafter or not because for such a person there is no one to take account of his actions.

Visu2k and rosy786 like this.
  6. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

That is true, however my concern is about the divisions played here on Earth citing scriptures. Scriptures should unite people and should not become one more reason, among numerous reasons of divisions among humanity, all in the name of God. Any religious scripture can be cherrypicked to put down peoples of other faiths, this is not just about Islam. However, it is really concerning to see that a good number of Muslims justify this behavior of other Muslims taking upon "God's judgment" upon themselves and giving rulings here on Earth.

Let the judgment belong to God. If God didn't want people of different religions to live together on one planet as one humanity, he wouldn't put all of us here. He wouldn't create all of us with all these differences including ones culture, race and religion. So again, why are the scriptures being used to drive deeper divisions here on Earth? Why are people using scriptures to judge in the name of God. Did God give these humans a right to judge other humans who don't agree to their beliefs?

Judge me by the good or bad that I do to you. Leave my belief system for God to judge.

By the way, my above sentences are in no away an indication of my own beliefs, for all you know I may be atheist or theist. If I spoke about God, that is only an attempt to convey a thing or to you. However, I reserve the right to be not judged by others about my belief system. That is something strictly personal to me. I extend the same courtesy to you and others I come across.

7. pandora

pandora New IL'ite

I had a quick scan of the article mentioned by Visu2k and since I am a muslim, felt the need to express my disagreement with the purport of the article.

Muslims should have used Nelson Mandela's life, work and the universal respect he attracted, as an opportunity to introspect.
    The Prophet even in his farewell speech, had stressed the significance of racial equality and called on muslims to work towards it. But it took an atheist to bring about the fruition of this principle, at least partly. I think Muslims have much to learn from Mandela's dedication.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. rosy786

rosy786 IL Hall of Fame

May God bless you for the Efforts you took to bring the knowldge Dear

9. rosy786

rosy786 IL Hall of Fame

I would like to convey that Dont Judge Islam by seeing a single muslim view point....

Islam isnot that...........Dont judge whole religion with few uncooked individuals

1 person likes this.
  10. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Judgement indeed belongs to the Almighty alone.

And neither God gave this right to us that we should go and judge whoever does not or do not want to believe in the message of Islam.To believe in something is a personal discretion.

No Human being has right to judge any other Human being.Whether Muslim or Non-Muslim.And no one is judging you either for whatever the belief you have.That is surely between you and God.

And as "Rosy786" has wrote,and I too have said many times before in this thread that don't judge Islam by its people.Islam is not what Muslims do but Islam is what Muslims are supposed to do.

2 people like this.