1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why dont guys were a thaali (mangalsutra)??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by stranger127, Nov 27, 2013.

1. stranger127

stranger127 Silver IL'ite

VOW thats the spirit:) keep it on...:)

2. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Now now. Relax. There is only a major rant going on, and no need to get emotional!

2 people like this.
  3. rashmi1234

rashmi1234 New IL'ite

true dear they must wear it. i agree with u

1 person likes this.
  4. mymadhi

mymadhi New IL'ite

When a girl is married she never wants to be approached by any one. But a married man does not feel so. Girl wants to draw a circle around her and show others that she does not want to be disturbed. But a guy never thinks such way and our system also helps him to be so.

1 person likes this.
  5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Brahmins and men from certain kshatriya families have to wear the janoi thread.

I know janoi is not a symbol of one's loyalty towards their partner, it was worn by boys during the vedic times, before going to the gurukul to start off their education .

The janoi thread is made up of 3 threads, and one of its three threads is worn by the man on behalf of his wife, since women do not undergo thread ceremony.

Although they are not wearing it to show their loyalty towards us, I think I would just be satisfied thinking he is wearing atleast something for me lifelong:)

Men wear this all their life, from the age of eight I think, for themselves and for their wives.

I hope that gives you some peace, and you don't feel its only you who has to wear a mangalsutra around your neck all your life ,they too wear the thread across their chests all life long:-D

1 person likes this.
  6. stranger127

stranger127 Silver IL'ite

Hi guys:)

Again back to the thread after a long time & am finally married:) yeah definitely with a long mangalsutra (gold thaali) around my neck. I have to admit..It feels so special having it:)
    During marriage, when my man tied the mangalsutra my dad put a chain on him. I observed this & told my husband that this is going to be his mangalsutra forever:wink: & he too is religiously following it till date & doesnt remove it at any cost:kiss
    Even if he removes, its not gonna matter to me for love is in the air:) & its ok to follow few harmless traditions like this as it is in no way related to demeaning women as dowry or other evil practices does..So Iam convinced:)

2 people like this.
  7. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

The Mangalsutra is a symbolic representation of the divine deities which are Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. It is said that the chain part is parvati and the pendant is lord shiva. And their union indicates a happy married life. And that’s the reason it should be worn throughout the married life. By wearing the Mangalsutra, the woman gains energy and power. It connects the body to the divine Shakti which resides in the body in the form of an element, fire. This gives the woman the energy to take care of the entire family and well-being of each member. This too is believed to regularize a women's blood circulation.

The most important thing to note about this Thirumangalyam is that it should always be hidden. Because the constant friction of the metal gold touching the body portion directly, proves to be more effective. But, if the same is worn outside the clothes, then the effect is reduced. That's why it is always advisable to wear the Thirumangalyam known as Thali or Mangalsutra inside and not to show off. So, Mangalsutra is not a symbol of being married. It is a device which empowers Hindu married women to look after their family and staying healthy as well.

According to vedic culture, toe rings are always worn on both feet. This is to maintain a balance of energies. The nerve that passes through the second toe also passes through the uterus. So wearing the toe ring on both rings ensures that a balance is maintained in your uterus. This also helps women to maintain their fertility and reproductive health. The earliest references to toe rings can be found in the Hindu epic Ramayana. It is believed that when Ravana kidnapped Sita, she threw her toe rings on the way to Lanka (now Sri Lanka) so that Rama (her husband) could find her. So the tradition for married women to wear this piece of jewelry is ancient...

The culture of women wearing Thirumangalyam & toe ring is quite ancient & it has nothing to do with our Tu-Tu Main-Main concept of why not men notdonesmiley. :hide:

Why only women?? Because women love wearing ornaments…or maybe it enhances her health as well as her beauty … A man wearing toe ring sounds quite strange :idontgetit: as I have never heard it before. Well, can you imagine guys wearing Thirumangalyam or toe ;-)gigglingsmiley

No offence to anyone, it’s just my opinion, heard from my granny…

3 people like this.
  8. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

The Mangalsutra is a symbolic representation of the divine deities which are Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. It is said that the chain part is parvati and the pendant is lord shiva. And their union indicates a happy married life. And that’s the reason it should be worn throughout the married life. By wearing the Mangalsutra, the woman gains energy and power. It connects the body to the divine Shakti which resides in the body in the form of an element, fire. This gives the woman the energy to take care of the entire family and well-being of each member. This too is believed to regularize a women's blood circulation.

The most important thing to note about this Thirumangalyam is that it should always be hidden. Because the constant friction of the metal gold touching the body portion directly, proves to be more effective. But, if the same is worn outside the clothes, then the effect is reduced. That's why it is always advisable to wear the Thirumangalyam known as Thali or Mangalsutra inside and not to show off. So, Mangalsutra is not a symbol of being married. It is a device which empowers Hindu married women to look after their family and staying healthy as well.

According to vedic culture, toe rings are always worn on both feet. This is to maintain a balance of energies. The nerve that passes through the second toe also passes through the uterus. So wearing the toe ring on both rings ensures that a balance is maintained in your uterus. This also helps women to maintain their fertility and reproductive health. The earliest references to toe rings can be found in the Hindu epic Ramayana. It is believed that when Ravana kidnapped Sita, she threw her toe rings on the way to Lanka (now Sri Lanka) so that Rama (her husband) could find her. So the tradition for married women to wear this piece of jewelry is ancient...

The culture of women wearing Thirumangalyam & toe ring is quite ancient & it has nothing to do with our Tu-Tu Main-Main concept of why not men notdonesmiley. :hide:

Why only women?? Because women love wearing ornaments…or maybe it enhances her health as well as her beauty … A man wearing toe ring sounds quite strange :idontgetit: as I have never heard it before. Well, can you imagine guys wearing Thirumangalyam or toe gigglingsmiley

No offence to anyone...

2 people like this.
  9. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

@ Angellic

What a lovely explanation!! I never knew it had so much significance!!

You have so beautifully explained its significance, every bride to be should read this.

I love the toe rings which women from Maharashtra and South india wear after marriage. I will definately wear it thoughout after I get married.

I too would never like to see men wearing mangalyam or toe rings, it would look outrageous, but I kept my opinion to myself since IL is full of feminists.....

2 people like this.
  10. mithra3412

mithra3412 Platinum IL'ite

@Angel i belive that there is a tradition of wearing toe ring by men exists.because in our custom its seen now a days also .

When marriage happens for the first 16 days men will wear that toe ring on their right leg toe and once the custom after 16 days is completed he will give it to his sister.

And they told the reason why men wear toe ring in ancient days as similar to Women Wearing sindhoor on forehead or wearing Mangal Sutra.

Married women will be identified by other Men thorugh their sindhoor or Mangalyam and Married Men will be identified by their toe ring by unmarried women.