1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Growth Hormone Deficiency

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by saps105, Dec 6, 2013.

1. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

My dd is 3 yrs n 6 months old. She has always been underweight till date. Last visit to a pediatrician, doc suggested bone age test because she is short for her age. Bone age says she is less than 2 yrs which the doc said its a worrying report. He suggested we visit Pediatric Endocrinologist. Endo said he thinks it is Growth hormone deficiency which can be confirmed after tests. Tests are still going on.

Loads of questions and worries. Any doctors or parents who have gone through this treatment please suggest is this treatment is effective? Any side effects? What is the cost in India or Uae? Thanking in advance.

2. akku

akku New IL'ite

Hi Saps,

I am also in same situation.

My dd is also underweight and short compared to other kids of her age(she is 4 yrs and only 94 cm now). So we checked with doctors (in europe and India)last year when she was three. They did blood test and found growth hormone bit less than normal level. But they told us to wait till she is 5 to do bone age test and further test to decide whether to start hormone treatment.
    What they told us was, bone age test and other test can be done only after 5 yrs.how come your doctor asked you to do that at small age.
    Was that test painfull? Can you please tell how they did that?

I have not much idea about hormone treatment. But when I searched in internet, found that it is like injection everyday ( like diabatic people taking insulin shots).

Please don't worry. Science and technology is developing, so hopefully our kids will be safe and good.

1 person likes this.
  3. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

thnx dear. Have been very tensed since i came to know of her problem.i understand your situation of having an underwt child. Also the so called well wishers who have really enjoyed making a dig at us at every chance for not feeding her properly. the blame is always on the mothers.

Bone age is determined by taking an x-ray of hand/wrist(not sure which 1) medical ppl might know Its called carpal bones you can google it. Not painful at all. My DD has to go through a GHD test tomorrow. its on fasting so maybe that's y docs suggested you to wait. in your DDs case she might have only a slight problem. She is 94 cms at 4 yrs. she may not be that much deficient.my dd is 3yrs and 7 months her ht is only 86(a worrying figure) bcoz of which her paed suggested bone age test. lets see what the tests results shows.

Any problem is better detected early. Last few days i have done lots of checking and research for GHd. and i have found there are treatments in Ayurvedic and homeopathy. But not all doctors are treating this. when i heard about daily injections i was very worried since hormones are getting injected into her body. Let me tell you there are chances of side effects in allopathy.

One of my relative is a homeo doc said she personally knows homeo docs treating GHD.

any diet d doc suggested for your dd? Try to give her foods rich in iron and protein and less quantity of carbs. I read through an article how much of is right i don't know. It says you should try to minimize the use of insulin in the body. this will optimize the use of the growth hormone. have started with karelas and beetroot. will let you know how the test goes and the new diet. Praying for your Dd.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. akku

akku New IL'ite

Hi Saps,

Sorry for late reply. I rarely login to Indusladies now a days.
    My dd went for bone test. And she has growth of normal kids of her age. Just took hand XRAY. that's all. Growth hormone became normal. Vitamin D defiency is there.
    So no hormone treatment is needed. Her height is increasing in slow rate.

Every six months her height measurement is taken.

She eats well and also healthy. Still underweight and short compared to kids of her age:(

How about your kid?
    How did the test result go?