Floor and wall tiles for new apt-need suggestion

Discussion in 'Housing' started by JGVR, Dec 9, 2013.

1. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Hi,

We are construction our new apt in chennai and it has reached final stages.Please help me by giving your suggestions for the following

1.The builder has said that he will place ceramic tiles for floor with anti skid tiles for bathroom floor and we can choose the design.Iam ok with this and have given consent for ivory colour flooring.is this ok,what other things i should tell the builder while doing floor?

2.what type of wall tiles should i use for kitchen and bathroom?i want anti stain and anti grease tiles along with water resistant.can you name a few tile brands so that i can check on the same?

3.are there any specific floor tiles for kitchen which is anti stain and anti skid?

4.is it ok to have false ceiling only on the living room or should i have it for all bedrooms?

Expecting your inputs.

Thanks.

2. luckyme

luckyme Silver IL'ite

Ask for vitrified tiles for the hall and all the rooms...pick a matt finished over a glossy one preferably....

Most of tiles come in shades of ivory so if u want ur house to stand out, pick a whiter shader ....or u may even pick dark shades....like brown in the wooden brown finish will look fab...n pick 3ft cross 3ft ones if those are affordable for u

Pick a different color for the kitchen, preferably a dark one...I have whitish flooring in my house and chose a dark grey for kitchen n it looks awesome...I don't have suggestions for wall tiles in kitchen except this one...ask the builder to put tiles all the way upto ceiling in the kitchen..comes in handy..n ask them to cover the space below otta with any cheaper variety tiles...it helps for cleaning when u fix the kitchen (modular or traditional)

Visit any good tiles showroom or pick a copy of bbc good homes to find the names..or just google n find ones popular in ur city....nitco, kajaria and rak are trusted ones

Another tip...if u are expecting hard water in bathrooms...pls go for light coloured tiles...dark coloured tiles will get spoilt with hard water patches

All the best with r new home

1 person likes this.
  3. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Anti skid tiles for bathroom and utility area is best choice with matte finish (if you are supposed to place washing machine in utility area). And i would suggest anti skid for balcony/patio too if you are planing to keep some plants in balcony.
    vitrified tiles do good for rest of the rooms.
    As luckyme said go for light coloured tiles for bathroom. We had bad experience with black tile and hard water.

1 person likes this.
  4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

thankyou luckyme and cindrella06.

Luckyme-what does otta mean?

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

check out marbonite too. recently johnson has come out with stainfree. the lighter colors are very pleasant and you can play around with your interior woodwork, curtains, wall hangings. a darker floor limits the scope unless the space of the room is quite big and there is lots of light (natural to accentuate). we have done ivory marbonite and no regrets..only fear of chipping on very heavy mishandling like dropping of grinder stone or something similar. the one request to the builder would be to ensure tight packing for tiling and also proper closure in between so that there are no ups and downs..even minor is felt when you walk barefoot. we have it in a two places in our flat and i always feel irritated..
    you can also look at carpet style tiles that are back in fashion these days..
    BVG Industries Ltd

you mean the kitchen backsplash. these days the options are quite good. you have the facility to customize few of your backsplash with a design of your choice.Kitchen Glass Tiles - Mocktail Kitchen Tiles, Kitchen Glass Tiles Manufacturer, Mocktail Kitchen Tiles Exporter from Ludhiana, India check out the cocktail glass print all over the backsplash. you can also choose simple tile and inbetween get a tile that has a fruit basket or anything that you chose. i know a friend who got a image of ganapathy embedded in the backsplash at the correct spot for her daily neivedyam in the kitchen. it is all about our choices and the scope that your kitchen size gives you. you can also have the same print on the see through glass of your kitchen cupboard glasses..too..
    (P.S. lighter color backsplash means you are forced to clean any of the splashes from your cooking immediately and also oil stains that tend to stick..)
    if the kitchen is a open kitchen, i would not break the scheme of tiling. rather keep it uniform for the kitchen, dining and hall. that way the whole schema will make the area look bigger when you go for lighter colors.

you can have in all the rooms other than kitchen. it is your choice, your budget. if you are on the top floor, having in all the rooms means a little cooler interior, but the whole intention becomes a failure if your are exposed to direct sunlight through the windows.. in a west facing window bedroom, the bedroom will be hot even if you do false ceiling. a friend who has false ceiling all over says it is not that cool, she stays in the very top floor..

if you really want to indulge check out wall cladding, tile murals.
    Ceramic Tiles,Handmade Tiles,Ceramic Mural Tiles,Art Tiles,Handmade Wall Tiles,Roofing Tiles,Handmade Ceramic Mural Tiles,Wall Tiles,Tiles Manufacturer In India,Fish Scale Tiles,Exterior Wall Tiles,Handmade Ceramic Mural Art Glazed Tiles,Ceramic Jaal

wall cladding Wall cladding | www.squarefoot.co.in

BATHROOM highlighter Bathroom Highlighter - Bathroom Highlighter Tiles, Bathroom Tile Design, Bathroom Tile and Bathroom Tile Patterns Manufacturer & Exporter from Ludhiana, India

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes, do tile under the counter too so that you have a nice clean platform for rolling in your cylinder and storage...

7. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

+1
    Vitrified is the way to go. Pick up 2X2ft tiles for living areas.
    Anti skid ceramics for baths is fine.

One more brand - Check out RAK's UK imported tiles.
    RAK is kind of market leader in tiles. Johnsons, Kajaria, etc are also good.
    You can always mix and match.

8. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have seen tempered glass backsplash in a friends house and it looked awesome. Since it was a single long glass as a backsplash, there is no worry of cleaning the tile grooves. Try to check it out.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

k11, long time. hope your search for your partner is done with??

2x2ft is what most of the new constructions are sporting.

rak's is good. i was thinking if op was going to stay in the flat it is fine. if it is for renting, i would not invest so much.
    and yes mix and match is what works provided the builder is willing to source even the small quantity that the client asks for even at premium prices.

we were disappointed when a wall cladding that we asked for was not available and the builder tried to dump a a part of a lot they had ordered. i refused to budge. i said i would rather leave my wall blank...

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

akila, i loved the tempered glass, but then sometimes, it tends to be risky. once it start chipping at the corners, it is accident waiting to happen.. though it is resilient and is tempered to withstand high heat and manhandling..if there are small kids, it is a no from me.