1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents are only son's responsibility?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sweetyk, Nov 26, 2013.

1. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hello friends,

Today in our lunch we had this discussion with other female colleagues. Where all three of them said "YES ITS SON'S RESPONSIBILITY ONLY". I told when we girls demand for equality with our siblings as we were grown up and when it comes to responsibility isn't it our responsibility also to take care of our parents.

One of the ladies says.."Its ritual that son only should take care". "If you don't care for rituals and society then you can take care of your parents".

I felt bad that women who are working, who are grown up equally as there male siblings, women who got all the education from there parents think like this.

Please share your thoughts? Are parents only son's responsibility? how many of you think like this?

sweety

nakshatra1 likes this.

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Sweetyk...

this is long debating topic like " only DH's family is DW family after marriage" . I remember a post advising same thing to OP where OP wanted to help her family and advisor suggested her parents are brother's responsibility...I donno why people still have same mentality after getting good education, seeing world (I feel we should adopt good things from all society) and when there is no discretion between DD and Son upbringing why only it's son responsibility . As a daughter I feel - I am equal responsible for my parents as my brothers as they never did any discretion between me and them..then why i should do... same is applicable for my ILs too..my DH is equal responsible same as what I feel for my parents (or expect my brothers to do for my parents).

3. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

True Priya. I feel I am responsible for my parents too.

sweety

4. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

There are 2 powerful terms RITUALS & LAWS which are playing major role in our Society.

According to RITUALS: Taking dowry for the Son, Giving properties to the Son and being with the Son and Giving family Name to Son's Kids are norms and acceptable.

But According to LAWS: The above things like taking Dowry is considered as crime. Coming to properties, it should be divided equally among the siblings.

But Unfortunately, Most of the people though educated tries to grab best things from both sets like they want to take dowry for their son/brother in the name of RITUALS, Share properties in the NAME of LAWS and run away from responsibilities in the Name of RITUALS.

In my Opinion an Ideal family norms should be.
    1. Give best education to kids,
    2. Don't entertain dowry system for both SON & DAUGHTER,
    3. Don't instill in childrens mind that it is son's responsibility to take care of parents instead teach them that both genders are equal and it is the responsibility of all siblings to take care of their parents.
    4. Give equal shares to both genders

But most of these practices are not happening in the name of RITUALS.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Jhilmill

Jhilmill Silver IL'ite

Gender bias from India will eradicate when
    1. Girls will start taking taking their parent's responsibilities as their brother.
    2. Parents will start taking girl child's help and will stop supporting her through out life by giving dowry.
    3.When inlaws will start pampering dil's likeson in laws thinking what will happen to my son if she leaves him instead of taking her for granted.

Anyways good daughter, son, sister/brothers do share the responsibilities or atleast genuinely help those who try to escape play these cards. In my wedding a large no. of extended family came my mil feel coz they all are nice. I feel my mom was nice and moreover tried to share the responsibility or at the least didn't complain when She cant the ownership. But from my husband side his real mama n his family didn't turn up ...my mil feels her bro is still ok but his wife is cunning but from where i see they didn't turn up coz my mil just expects being a girl whether emotionally or financially from them and criticize whatever they are doing and most importantly herself don't share the burden.

Irrespective of set rules good people irrespective of gender help out. Cunning people play the rule card. Please show my reply to your escapist friends. :biglaugh

6. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Parents are both son/daughter responsibilty. Trouble happens when one of them shirks from that and the burden falls on the one kid. Thats when it becomes living nightmare for all involved. Women need to take up equal responsibilty of their parents (atleast half) - especially if they are working.. It is not not just the sons responsibility

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

8. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

satchi - hopefully that comment was not for my post

9. 123thirumala

123thirumala Silver IL'ite

daughter and son have equal reponsibility towards their parents

1 person likes this.
  10. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

How about when there is no son. The society looks down on parents, or so the parents assume! In my opinion if a girl is working after marriage and if she can, she should provide financial support to her parents in their old age (if parents don't have a source of regular income).