1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Over dramatic, Over protective and whining in-laws and a vent(Why do I even Care.. )

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by stronglady2013, Dec 3, 2013.

1. stronglady2013

stronglady2013 Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I am back again for your advice.
    I have a situation at home. My in-laws are literally over dramatic and it is getting on my nerves. Though I have been able to manage my anger and control my self but still I am unable to ignore it completely.
    Unfortunately, I am at home for more three weeks as my project got delayed.
    If husband goes out to clean snow they get upset, why are you cleaning it alone? Ask her to clean it with you. I shovel the snow too many times.
    IF he takes the garbage out, then MIL is shouting..why are you taking garbage. She is doing nothing. (I was cooking).
    Other day, Some cookies got burned in Microwave. Since, then they have created a sad environment at home like some one got died. Like, you are very careless and getting ready what to do if home catches a fire. (I know it is good for security measure).
    We have a huge snow storm and husband had to go to work. They were very upset about it and since then both of them have been doing things to provoke me. But I have been pretending like :coffee but yes, it is getting on my nerves.

There are many instances where they protect their son like anything. I feel very awkward. Sometimes, I feel they just do drama to make me feel insecure. Are parents really like this or Am i over analyzing?

Can you girls please advice on how to ignore all these drama?

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Re: Over dramatic, Over protective and whining in-laws and a vent(Why do I even Care

i know. how irritating it can be.
    Is it possible to tell them in a pleasant manner? "oh.i do the showel too. Last time I did it,dont u remember?'..I know it is very difficult , but atleast you can make yourself feel better that you justified yourself?
    My MIL sometimes has this way of angering me - when both of us return from work and my daughter would come and try to get my H to lift her in his arms,my MIL would comment "oh honey,ur dad has just returned from work and is tired.go to your mom". (me and H work in same office,go together and come together).It gets on my nerves, but I reply with a smile 'yes honey.come to me.Mommy is stronger.Daddy cannot do everything like mommy does' :) and that zips her up :)

2 people like this.
  3. stronglady2013

Re: Over dramatic, Over protective and whining in-laws and a vent(Why do I even Care

It gets on my nerves, but I reply with a smile 'yes honey.come to me.Mommy is stronger.Daddy cannot do everything like mommy does' [​IMG]and that zips her up [​IMG]

The above lines are just so awesome. I will try them next time :). Thanks for the response gauridinesh.

1 person likes this.
  4. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]

5. Bavishya

Bavishya Platinum IL'ite

laugh1smiley

6. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Do you have to stay with inlaws ? If yes, you need to learn how to handle it....NOW

1 person likes this.
  7. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

You know what, my PILs (esp FIL) are carbon copy of yours or vice versa.

They must have been sisters/brothers of each other in their supposed past lives!

Coming to the point - please ignore them, no use spoiling your mood and ruffling your peace of mind. I am learning to ignore their melodrama and have almost stopped complaining about them to my hubby. And guess what, things are looking better.

To answer your question, not all parents are like this. But some, who are very insecure, whether emotionally or financially or perhaps spiritually empty and hollow, tend to hang on to the smallest thread of support they have in their lives without even contemplating once whether they have a right to cling on to that thread of support in the manner they do!

As for the cookies getting burned in microwave, I would suggest that for your own safety please be more careful.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. stronglady2013

Thanks persecutedDIL for your advice. Yes, you are right. They are empty and hollow from every angle(financially, spiritually, and emotionally). Even I had this thought in my mind that their insecurity makes them do all this drama.

Thanks for taking out time to reply :)