1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to los angeles with family - need help - urgent

Discussion in 'Indians in Los Angeles' started by PriyaPrabahar, Sep 2, 2013.

1. PriyaPrabahar

PriyaPrabahar New IL'ite

Hi

My husband got job near west hollywood, CA. We are new to CA. We are coming from Michigan. I want to know below information. Any help from you ladies much appreciated:

1. Apartment info where Indian people stay in LA. If it is less than 25 miles from West Hollywood is great.

2.I have a kid if 3.5 years old, and any good schools and the registration info?
    3.Cost of living like apartment rent, school fees, etc.

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Priya,

Welcome to LA.

1. For Apartments, please check padmapper.com, losangales.craigslist.org etc. We live in BRE Alessio Apartments, and know there are indians in our community and also in The Heights Apartments.

Unlike other cities, LA gets a lot of traffic. So 25 mile would translate to around 60 mins to 90 mins depending on where you live and what time you travel. So, please check google maps around the travelling time to check traffic before making a decision.
    Having said that, based on my experience here, Culver City, West LA (westchester) may work better for you, as Torrance may be too far.

2. Check out www.lacoe.edu/ or www.lausd.net for information on school. (Cant help there much as I dont know much on that)

3. Apartment rent ranges from 1300$ to 1800$ for 1 bedrooms, based on the amenities. Some apartments may not have all appliances. So if you are planning to rent without viewing the apartments, it is better to get the complete list (ie, even fridge or cooking range may not be available in apartments with lower rents), and you would have to rent/buy the appliances seperately.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    JM
    View shared post

1 person likes this.
  3. PriyaPrabahar

PriyaPrabahar New IL'ite

Hello JM,

Thank you very much for the information.

Thanks
    Priya

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hellp Priya,

Have you moved already ? Hope your relocation went well !.

Share with us, about your experiences, and where you are staying now.

Regards,
    JM

5. sonamsehgal

sonamsehgal New IL'ite

Hey hii JM.. I am moving to LA and have booked the heights apartments for our stay.. From your reply I guess u have some friends here.. Could you pls introduce me to some... You can contact me on kapursonam87@gmail.com

Thanks In Advance,
    Sonam

6. MalathiKanchan

MalathiKanchan New IL'ite

Hi,
    We are moving to The Heights apartment this month end.message me if you are staying there.Am looking for Indian community friends.

Thanks
    malathi