1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need guidance

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Priya16, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

This is about my 9 years old.

I feel she get distracted things goes around her while she is studying. She would like to call me every 5 min or get up and ask some question something which going on in the house at that time.

I asked several times to study in separate room which she doesn't like. She had younger sister and she is extremely focused. So I have no issues with her.

If I ask her to sit in separate room she is getting offended.
    I feel she doesn't focus good on her studies. She had very good memory, so she gets good grades.

But she will ask me every 5min something or the other. I am not able to figure it out the exact problem nor the solution to her.

2. naliniraut

naliniraut Bronze IL'ite

Those are the typical symptoms of gifted child. First of all please don't worry about her, she must be finding her work very easy and getting bored, you could try giving her some challenging work, talk to her teacher, get her assess to help her achieve her full potential.

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

:)

Thanks for great compliment.

She will have load of challenging work and her work is not easy either. If she is reading her science or social text book, she will not immense into it fully.

Math also same thing. If she find something tough, she will try to ignore them and don't try to work and understand them completely.

Her mind is on what's going in around the house. She had really focusing issues. Is there way, parents would able to change the kid naturel behaviors??

I feel it's her nature.

If I give my younger some task, she wouldn't disturb me for 30min.If I give some task to my elder one, she would come to me 10 times in that 30min :-(

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Priya, I am not an expert but if she is getting good grades, perhaps its OK if she is not as focused as the younger one is? If the grades are poor, then I would worry.

I get your point though, if they keep coming to us every 5 mins, we ccannot finish what we started. I dont know what to say.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Priya,
    sounds like you are describing my DD when she was younger. She was super smart but could not focus much. I jumped through lots of hoops but nothing worked. Finally, one of her teachers suggested something. I thought she knows nothing, she has no clue how my dd is but I gave it a try anyways. It worked wonders. My dd is now completely independent, gets good grades and I never have to sit with her unless it is a complex math issue.
    What we did was this, instead of making her sit for an entire hour and getting her to start dreaming in between, I would time her. Give her 10 mins, pick just one or two paragraphs or problems but make her sit in her room for the entire time. I would switch on a timer and she had to finish that portion in 10 mins. All doubts will be addressed only after she has worked on it for the entire 10 mins. If she has not finished or does not answer satisfactorily, continue the loop. Once she quickly finishes and will be done before the 10 mins is up, up her workload and give her 20 mins worth of work. Continue doing this until she can handle a few pages at a time and then chapters at a time. It took us a year of doing this but it was worth the effort. DD is now completely independent. The entire class goes for extra classes and such, she does not. She focuses on grade level and is extremely good. Btw, I noticed that here in the US, people do tend to push for higher math levels and let the kids go ahead and do work that are two grade levels higher. It's a sort of peer pressure that my dd was always worried that her friends are better than her. What I did was lower my expectations. I want her basics to be strong. She is already one grade advanced in math and that's enough. That's how much she can do with all her other activities. Once I told her how proud I was of all she has been doing, she does not care for the peer pressure anymore. She'll learn 8th grade maths eventually, in the meantime she is learning life skills, which will help her outside of maths.
    I did see a dramatic improvement in focus once she started swimming. Looks like that's her activity of choice. She is in a swim team that focuses of building endurance and stamina. She swims daily but that discipline has taught her to pay closer attention to details. Btw, if she does not like an activity I can see it. Effort will not be put. Find a good physical activity for her to pursue outside of studies, if you already haven't done so. Once she starts playing sports or dance or something she will eventually learn to pay attention.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    5 people like this.
  6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii,

Thanks for dropping by. I know you don't have that age girls, so it's hard to even visualize. But with this post, you already have solution to your future issues :)

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Laks,

Indeed a vey good idea. I will start working on it right away.

There was a pressure on her from the dad and there is nothing I can do about it.
    She likes sports very much. But we don't do regularly.She does music and something's at school regularly.

I am planning make them play at home . I know, Physical activity is very important for the kids. Since she is first kid, there are more expectations on her .

I am doing very well with my second kid. I can't say it's her fault, there are also lot of parenting errors with her. But definitely I want to focus on her more and improve her ability.

I really wish ,she is on grade level too where she could enjoy her free time with different activities. Right now she is doing one grade more work.

I will try your method and also I understand these days she needs my support more then my second DD.

Thanks for the great advise!!

8. Laks09

Priya,
    Don't beat yourself up. We all learn from our mistakes! She is still young and your DH will hopefully learn in time that there are more important things than being a grade level higher in school.
    In the meantime, you tell her how proud you are of all her achievements. Give her a lot of positive reinforcements. Don't make small failures big deals. She will eventually get there.
    Try to give importance to her likes and include those activities in her life. It's going to help her in her studies. Maybe try telling dad that this will help her focus better so lets give it a shot. It's tough to find something they genuinely like but once you find it, she will excel at it.
    Make sure dad is encouraging her positively. Even if he doesn't say it you tell her that Dad is so proud because you did ---- . I've noticed DD wants validation from dad and is so happy when he compliments her.

It's tough when both parents can't come to an agreement on what to do. I'm sure Shanvy will have suggestions to tackle dad. She is one smart and experienced mommy. Teacher also may have inputs on lowering dads expectations. Lets hope they visit this thread.
    You already are doing good. You already know she needs your attention and are finding ways to fix it. That itself is a good first step.

9. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Laks,

Yesteday I asked her to do her piano for 20 min then I will give her some point where she can use to buy something or get some play date.

I am not sure, will that be a good scheme or not??

In what way you started making her sit for 15min straight?

If I start point scheme, I am afraid, I may not able to cope up with it.

10. Laks09

Actually that is a great idea! Make sure she needs lots of points added up to buy one thing. As long as you don't go overboard it should work.
    I started a no TV during the weekdays rule at my place for her. She needed to earn TV privilidges. She could watch one of her favorite tv programme if she completed a chapter in a couple of days, even though it was a weekday. Just to watch over the weekdays she would work towards it.
    I'm sure the points system you have will work too. Once you give your word, stick to it thought. That will give her enough motivation. Btw, music is really good to improve focus. Does she like to play the piano? Try telling her how good she is at it when she practices. That should help too.

L