1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do I tell my marital status to my new colleagues?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by desposhwetha, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    i use to put mangalsutam before and later removed it once i filed divorce and i have let my colleagues know that i am divorced and do not want to talk about it. To the strangers i would always say that i am single to avoid unnecessary questions. I recently joinednew company only Hr and senior team members know about my status. To the rest of the lot i am single else people would talk behind your back and ask too many questions. Never disclose your personal problems to strangers and also to friends unless and until they are very close to you.
    People in US specially americans do not bother all this -they would openly say that i was divorced and remarried but indians in america has same indian mentality. Recently i went to US few guys asked me about my marital status. There are so many indians in US. All the best. I would not ask you. To stay abroad rather tackle the current environment.

3 people like this.
  2. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Hey all,

Thx again for the the kind empathy.I would like to answer some qns asked here.

1. Y a PG? Cos I dont know the dialect spoken over here and this is the first time am staying alone. So thought PG would be safe. I thought living all alone in a flat would bring in desolation and frustration in me. But now am begining to think otherwise

2. Yes a mistake by confiding in my neighbour about my past and I should learn from it.

3. Regarding my career, I have scored 760 in GMAT and have applied to some good B schools. In India and UK. Yes, education has been my strength . Hoping to get into IBS or LSE for my Masters.

4. Regarding my thali I have finally convinced myself to take it off. I dont want that money so planning to drop it in some temple hundi.

5. Y a smart career woman couldn't judge a man ? I seriously have no answers for this. I am an emotional fool which I need to admit. And I never had a brain to stop trusting my husband. Anyways I am really really glad I dont have a child through him else I am sure life would have been HELL

4 people like this.
  3. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

If (according to that perverted lady), one is supposed to dress up only for the husband, doesn't it mean that ladies should dress up better at home ( for the husband) than at work? So who is she dressing up for? ;-) Please ask her and tell me noh :)

5 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Uot
    My dear,

Anybody can make a mistake. In this case I don't think you made a mistake. sometimes things just happen to us; we don't realise what's going on in the initial confusion - we expect the best from people and are unable to understand people who really are just malicious, scum of the earth types.

What makes you stand apart is the courage with which you stood up for yourself when confronted with a terrible situation. instead of the incessant blame game some people play, you looked to find the cause of what went wrong and make amends to bring your life back on track.

People ought not be asking that question. Raising your eyebrows and staring them down should be answer enough.

Xx

2 people like this.
  5. vaas

vaas Bronze IL'ite

u should have slapped ur neighbor.

6. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

I am surprised that, such narrow minded people still exist. So as per her, you should have lived with a husband who was cruel enough to pour hot oil on your hand. Would she have let this happen to her daughter?

Anyways, coming to your question. I live in US. I have couple of friends who were in abusive relationship and fought their way out. We all did support their decision. We helped them at every stage. So did most of our friends. So I guess, living abroad will be a good option.

You don't have to tell people about your marital status until you are ready. When you are ready, you don't have to go into details. Just tell them that things did not work and you both decided to call it off. The more information you give, the more they get to talk.

And next time, please don't walk away quietly. Give it back to her once and she would shut her filthy mouth forever.

2 people like this.
  7. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

Hold on to it until you get divorced. One of my friends ex-husband had asked her to return it to him as he paid for it.

8. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

I don't understand it either...Indians here in US are as nosy as the people there, they want to gossip and know all about a colleague/neighbor so that they can gossip even more. Even though divorce is very common amongst the Americans, i think Indians here are still living 'under the rock' when it comes to the concept of divorce and the social stigma attached to it.

9. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Oh is it so. Do they ask for the thali back just because they paid for it? How mean!!!!!!! But I can completely expect this from my husband as he sold off all the furniture and household articles my parents gave as dowry . Has already asked me to give back half the amount for the honeymoon expense . So better I put it on a locker. Thanks again.p

10. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

:clap

Your husband is one big time loser for being unable to see the long term earning potential in you. I pity him, really.

Do you know that IIMs in India have exec MBA programs that take based on GMAT score? Your score is fantastic. I am positive that you will at least go till interview. My guess is you will even get admitted (CA + 760 is lethal combination).

5 people like this.