1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Obsession with skin fairness !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Nov 17, 2013.

1. vanimn

vanimn Senior IL'ite

such a silly obsession we Indians have. If you were to ask any of the white/gora westerners, we are all just different shades of Brown!! :)

sindmani, DKI, sheztheone and 2 others like this.
  2. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

Yes it is an issue in India...but you need to rise above it....if the younger people stop maki g it an issue, eventually it will not be one.
    Best you just ignore it and move in, believe me I have grown up in that environment, the best way out is to ignore it and def. not making your child aware of it by making it an issue or topic of discussion.

sindmani, Dinny and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

You've hit the nail,the only ppl they think are gora are "Japanese" but they are called yellow asians.
    Its not just about Indians the world over is filled with such a plethora of ill feelings.
    But the trend is changing.... is what i want to believe.

2 people like this.
  4. ashleywells241

ashleywells241 New IL'ite

If I were you, I just accept my child whatever he or she is, and I teach him to be proud of what she have and be herself always.

sindmani and (deleted member) like this.
  5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My MIL has an obsession with colour. She is dark skinned, FIL is fair. My husband is darkish skinned. When we got married, I was stunned to find out that he had been using fair and lovely (his mom made him start when he was about to start college) because his mom said that would make him fair, and that girls did not like dark skinned people. I asked him to throw it away that day and said that until he mentioned it, I did not even notice his skin colour.

My son was born in winter and was a fairly fair baby. But as time progressed his skin turned darker. She would always comment on it and say we should not take him out in the sun so that he does not get dark. Unfortunately for her, she got a grandchild who is like me....hates being indoors. So by the end of summer, he is almost black due to tanning. he likes to call Indians tanned skin, Whites-peach skin :)

1 person likes this.
  6. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

Sadly this is an obsession with a lot of Indians at home and abroad , hope the next generation obliterate this prejudice.

1 person likes this.
  7. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Yes, this is true. My sister in law who just got back from India, bought a powdered mixture of besan, almond and kesar. She asked me to apply to my one month old child so that her hair can be removed which will allow her skin to glow. Which of course indirectly means that the child will be fair if I apply the stuff.

Not sure though, I will doing a small test first to make sure there is no adverse reaction and I heard that the babies hair falls of by itself in the first 4 months. Someone else just told me to scrub the facial hair gently with a washcloth and it will have the same effect.

But it really is annoying when people cant even leave alone a baby, let them develop naturally.

Cools.

1 person likes this.
  8. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

Even if you don't find any adverse reactions, never try such stuffs on one month old child.. As you said its a bad idea..

2 people like this.
  9. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks naveena, for confirming my doubt's.

1 person likes this.