1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Super dumb aliens and super smart earthlings!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 15, 2008.

1. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,

I started reading this post thinking it is about Sci-Fi movies ...as I am somewhat fond of such movies !! But well well well....engayoooooo kondu poittelll :)
    It is sad that we all are prey to the preconceived opinions of others - real or imagined. I believe that the rootcause of this problem, is our society which is so full of rules and regulations and dos and dont's right from the days of Manu-Smriti. There are specific ways of doing specific things and deviations are not tolerated. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy??
    We dont even know too well, whether Manu wrote things for all times or for the generation he lived in. Many of us do realize that times have changed and that all things of past need not be applicable in the present or the future. Yet we have rigid minds.
    I have had some experiences in my personal life because of which, I am now better informed as to who are well-wishers and who are not. At the risk of sounding cynical or pessimistic, I can say that the latter outnumbers the former !!
    I have realized in tough ways that the more I strive to satisfy many in my decision process, the more messed up it becomes. The times today demand a strength of mind and a certain level of blind dedication and ruthlessness while working towards one's aims.
    Having said all these, I do feel bad and crave for those 'Utopian' times, when the whole world is good, when there are no sarcasms, when only love exists and jealousy and ego dont, where families - immediate and extended - are united....
    hmmm...some tears in my eyes...so let me stop.
    Thanks and love
    Pavithra

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pavithra
    Do you know something? Humans are more pig-headed than pigs. We have such opinion of ourselves that we will not permit any living being to be smarter than us!
    I agree with you that human mind should be flexible enough to adopt itself with the changing scenario. While the emerging new generation understands this need, the older generation continues to talk about the Manusmrithi and such impossible things.
    Today new laws are being enacted that would make Manu turn in his grave but fortunately he was reported to have been cremated and not buried.

I am sorry that you are involving too many in your decision making processes. Nothing can be more futile than this course of action. I have always observed that people who want to satisfy too many end up satisfying no one!

I felt a little heavy in my heart reading your last lines. Do not wait for Utopia. Create one in your mind and live in it happily.
    Sri

3. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sri and AC,

Thank you for your kind and touching replies to my reply. I do hope elders like you and forums (or fora??) like IL bring not only lots of smiles and hopes, but a societal and attitudinal change, with the kind of thoughts and invaluable experiences shared. I am glad and proud to be part of IL and I am learning a lot here.

Another thing Sri....my reply was an emotional one, perhaps the wrong kind on your humour-filled, lovely and positive threads. I am sorry about this :(

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

4. Cheeniya

Dear Pavithra
    Why do you think that humour should be sans emotions? In fact, humorists are more emotional than the serious type. It was not the wrong kind of FB and I am sure no one would treat it so.
    Sri

5. shreyasri

shreyasri New IL'ite

dear pavithra,

i guess you are in your late 20s, 'cos i felt the way you do now, until about 5-7 yrs back; lamenting over why some people were jealous of others, why they were always ready to jeopardise peace in any surrounding, why they laughed over others' difficulties.....the well-wisher stuff and all that.

later, i slowly realised that the underlying cause of such lamentations was "SELF-PITY". i first stopped clinging to 'well-wishers'. i didn't need them anymore.... i would care for my own self- what was the need for them!

this realization automatically distanced out a sense of caution for the malicious/ spiteful ones. thanks to God, no concerns now....and I am a much happier person than before.

choosing to ignore is the best way out.

wishes,

shreyasri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Shreya
    That is a very profound statement.
    It may be an irony but well wishers too affect our lives detrimentally. As you rightly point out, too much reliance on well wishers may breed self-pity and that is a negative emotion that can ruin our lives.
    A great feed back Shreya!
    Sri

7. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Shreya,

Thanks for the lovely and very meaningful comments. You guessed it right - am in my late 20s !!

Many times, I expect(ed) praise and appreciation from others...instead of from myself first :)) I suppose this is the rootcause for expectations and potential disappointments later on.

I think I am changing little by little now and thanks to a circle like IL, I can get proper guidance and advice whenever I need any, I guess :)

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,
    another good post from u...

dh loves sci fi, not me so cannot comment on that(okay, i shall admit to u that half the time i do not follow it and though he will explain,why spoil his fun in the movie ,i feel:))

btw ,do u like hitchhikers ride to the galaxy..his all time favorite..

and so right..we humans think we are too good....the opinionated and the unsure of themselves..until a few years back i used to always worry about what others would think ..but this was mainly due to lack of confidence me thinks..then with dh and dd coining the term ammas mathevaa syndrome i HAD to change and WHAT A RELIEF IT IS..

also agree that very few are bothered about us,so why would one want to talk about problems ......also wanted to add that they are also not interested in your achievements so no use bragging to them about your happiness:)

regards
    Mindi

9. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

i got to read this
    after my sis mentioned it..

we sure do have a poor opinion of aliens...quite sometime back i have read a book called chariots of the gods... the author i don't remember...the author has researched to find that this whole beautiful earth was created (?) and made beautiful with so many constructions by people alien to earth...!! and not by the gods as we so well believe..according to the author our ancestors were probably alien...guess there is nothing wrong in projecting our ancestors as dumb and ugly.
    it is the superiority complex in us
    that make us
    opine
    and also let others
    opine..!!
    and the inferiority complex
    to accept or not..!!

sathya

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  10. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

This was a different Cheeniya of course, not the one I am used to reading. Of course, I am used to your cynicism, but this is the first one I read which doesn't try to convert it to humorous comments on the state of mankind. On the other hand, I really haven't read too much of your work yet. May be there are other pieces such as this. I was particularly struck by the last sentence. And to tell you the truth, I feel the same way sometimes. May be more than sometimes. Sometimes I even feel like an alien who'll never establish contact with mankind. And now I have stopped caring much.

"Respected and regretted by whom?" Good question. Whom indeed!! You hit the bull's eye. But I am leaving this post today in a melacholic state. Or should I say you make me ruminate today more than on other days?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009