1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let me know the after effects after reading this post of mine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Nov 7, 2013.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijiakka,

Eating whatever we have with family and friends gives immense happiness and satisfaction. In the US, we used to say that no lunch or dinner is complete without "Thayir Sadam" (curd rice). Whether it is Navarathri or any other pooja, when people invite their family and friends, they always make sure to prepare "Thayir Sadam". Everyone always end their lunch/dinner only with Thayir Sadam. Even Americans are invited, they specifically ask for it at the end of their lunch/dinner.

I have a friend who is from Poland but migrated to the US long time back. He is so used to Indian tradition, poojas, chants, etc. and he participates in all possible Indian poojas and celebrations. He wakes up to Adhitya Hirudhayam everyday and chants Mahisashura Marthini so melodiously. He flawlessly sings Sanskrit Bhajans and eats only vegetarian food. He used to ask for upma for breakfast always. There is another American friend who told me one day that he gets fascinated by listening to an audio CD every time. Only thing he could recall is that it is sung by Illaya Raja. Later when he gave it to me, I found out he was listening to Thirvasakam everyday in the morning. Even though he does not understand Tamil, he is spiritually drawn to it.

Viswa

4 people like this.
  3. iyerviji

Viswa dear :wowToday I was so surprised to see so many of my posts with fbs when I opened my mail , I was just thinking who all have given fb to my threads and made me happy. Was so happy to see fbs to so many threads mademydaysmiley with your sweet messages , :thankyou2:

I agree with you enjoying with family while eating gives immense pleasure.Glad to know that in US lunch or dinner gets completed with thayir chadam. Glad to know about your friend who is used to Indian tradition and praticipates in Indian poojas and celebrations. Nice to know about his dailya activiities which starts by chanting Adhitya Hrudayam/. I think foreigners like our culture and follow too.

4. Amirtha2013

Amirtha2013 New IL'ite

i too like curd rice

1 person likes this.
  5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The after effect is a drooling mouth and a growling tummy!! Why did I read this on my fasting day!!

Though I am not an Iyer, I love thyir sadam and urukai combo!! and given half a chance it will be my choice of pack lunch everyday ;-)

1 person likes this.
  6. gavi

gavi Senior IL'ite

viji madam

thayir sadam with thakaali thokku / mor milagai /potatoe fry is my most favourite food.

1 person likes this.
  7. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

Whenever I hear thayir sadam, always I remember this joke, one of my colleague he always look curd rice at canteen. Once we went to Pizza corner, he saw the menu, their they mentioned, meal for two, while reading this, he turned to me and asked, let's order "meal for two", you take Pizza and I will take the curd rice...!! :)

2 people like this.
  8. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Hi Viji ma,

I survived my pregnancy on curd rice :) I had too much nausea and on top of it i did not know to cook gigglingsmiley so survived with curd rice or my husband cooking

1 person likes this.
  9. chithrasathish

chithrasathish Senior IL'ite

Hi

My food will not be over - without curd rice...delightful - to have it with lemon pickle...its heaven

CS

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

Amirtha welcome to my thread and glad to know you like curd rice