can a working woman manage home without a maid?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by chitchat, Nov 6, 2013.

1. chitchat

chitchat Bronze IL'ite

i have seen related posts but i feel lot of them are cluttered with lot of information that i find it really hard to sort out :( Sorry if i am repeating any already exisiting thread..

Hi,

i am a mom of one year baby boy.I am in IT field for the last 4 years and moved to my native after child birth as we found the support system here more effective n practical..:)..I stay close to my tech park ( we both work in same tech park though in diff company)..We both come home for lunch..i am usually back at home by 6 30...As my baby is small, once i reach home he wants me completely with him..(even i want it that way ;) )..MIL stays with us ..Since last 3 months we had a day time maid who cook n clean...now she left due to medical emrgency and last 2 weeks i only did cooking and cleaning partly ( as inbtw i got a part time servant weekely once to clean)..To my surprise i could manage it somehow..
    Now i am in doubt whetehr i should appoint a servant or manage it myself so that we could save 7k..
    I havent talked this to my MIL ..coz i dono if she will be comfortable to lookafter baby completly alone..(even if servant is there she normally dnt give him to them to manage ..but i feel sumhw she feels good when a maid is there around)..Even my DH asked me cnt we manage like diz..( we both like to eat what we cook ;) )..Even if we hire a servnt n say no cooking they charge the same as they say 'its all about being here for the whole day not what they do' :(..
    Do anybody faced same issue?..or is it practically possible to mange the home without full time maid(with a servnt to do the clenaing 2wice/3ice a week)??
    Will it be too much asking my mil to lookaftr baby alone day time..( i will do the rest)
    And do anybody have a good timetable to mange evrything?

2 people like this.

2. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

As long as your mil can look after the baby alone, you can manage , I did with 2 kids. You just have to Beverly organized isma,e sure you have meals planned for the week so you know what to cook as soon as you get home, make sure your pt maid knows what she has to do....give her the time consuming g work cleaning laundry etc.
    it can be done for sure....but important you must have time management and be organized on what you will be doing.

1 person likes this.
  3. queenie29

queenie29 Silver IL'ite

my sister does all her work alone and she is working.. with a 10months old kid... of course she drops him off at my place sometimes when she has a lot of work.. still she is trying and managing

2 people like this.
  4. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Almost many Indian working women with kid(s) in USA do that without any extended family support. I would imagine why it can't be done in India.

You need to be bit organized and it is definitely possible. All the best.

3 people like this.
  5. sarah1987

sarah1987 Junior IL'ite

Yes Kavitha is correct. Best thing in your part is you have MIB who can take care of your baby while you can do cooking.After office you just spend 1 hr with baby and hand over to MIL and go for cook.Like this you can organize your time table.:cool2:

1 person likes this.
  6. sarah1987

sarah1987 Junior IL'ite

You sister is very hard worker:hatsoff

1 person likes this.
  7. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

If it isn't huge burden on your finance, it might be wise to keep a maid. Most people in USA can't afford a maid hence they manage all. But after being away from your child all day, do you really want to come home and focus on house chores & ignore your baby again.

You can definitly manage the work load but is it the best option comared to spending time with your kid. Part time servent who cleans and does bit cooking might not be a bad option. You don't need a full time servent but it is wise to have some help

3 people like this.
  8. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

I would vote for keeping a maid - because it would be less of a stress to you. If you have the income and it wont be too much of a strain - keep a maid for cooking or cleaning. It will take off atleast one responsibility off your shoulders.

9. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Why dont you use the facility when it is available. If it is not much of a financial strain have a part time/full time maid. Use your time and energy on something else.

1 person likes this.
  10. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

It is better to keep the maid, as there are few things that gets covered while having a maid.
    1. Household chores
    2. Morale support for your MIL.
    3. Energy left out in you to spend time with kid.

You may be able to manage the chores, but in the long run, you would miss out on 2 & 3. Today, you may be able to manage the chores, but when your kid gets a handful or when your work load increases, you would feel over-stressed. Also, your MIL would be at a loss. In old age, it is a lot easier for people, when they have some company or support from others. It gives them peace of mind when someone is around, even a maid. While your MIL, manages your baby the whole day, that is the least you could do for her.

If not a fill time maid, atleast plan for a part-time maid to come in every day for 3-4 hrs... so your MIL gets a chance to have some company too. Plan the hrs around the sleeping hrs of your MIL & Baby