1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Odd situation !

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by flysauc, Nov 2, 2013.

1. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

What do u all do when your kids throws tantrum in car or parking lot ?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

2. Frontier

Frontier Silver IL'ite

What prompted the lady to say that to your husband? What exactly did she observe?

My husband and I went to Walmart and there was this lady (Indian) verbally abusing her daughter who was hardly 3 years old and we were shocked to hear the kind of language she used. Lucky for her she was not using English otherwise I am sure many in the store would have reported to CPS.

3. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

He was trying to make her sit in the car seat, while she didn't want to and was screaming and crying hard.

4. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

May be you can give him a small treat like a lolly pop to her if he allows you to put her in the car seat

Ask him if he likes to hear some music or songs he likes. Even if he is still bothered take him out give him a hug and let him tell the reason .

You can distract him with something interesting ,may be some coloring book or his favourite toy or just exclaim that you saw a bunny or a bird infront ,just pretend,meanwhile you can get him into the car ,he may ask you where did the bunny go?tell him it left just now.

some times a juice box or just water will remove his fussiness

Some times they don't want to go home from interesting places like shopping malls etc,then they can be offered a ride to the near by park.

1 person likes this.
  5. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

That's children's nature. If we accept this, we will find ways to calm them down. Rather than yelling them. My 10M old son cries loudly if i don't allow him to bite his toys. I used to make faces at him and distract him singing songs. initially he used to cry, but then he would understand :)

6. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Some time my 3 year old DD also doesn't want to sit in the car seat of if she sit then doesn't want to tie belt. I use following tricks (most of the time it works) -

1. I offer her M&M chocolate (her favorite) or some thing else what she likes to eat if she close her belt.
    2. If above doesn't work then I tell her see mamma also closing, and we both are friends (We have taught her that Mamma and Papa are her friends)so friends should be same to same (same to same is her favorite dialogue for comparison)
    3. Else, if she will tie then we will go mall or toys shop else we'll go back to home .

4. Last if nothing works then we say - if you will not close then Police will give time out (punishment) to Papa Mamma and will show some police vehicle ...see they are coming to us...do quickly. And she will close herself quickly to save her parents from time out :) :) :)

2 people like this.
  7. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

OP: Kids are kids and they have N no of reasons to throw tantrums and its hard to Decipher... What I do when my DD does which is rare:

1. I take her for a short walk and come back and make her sit.
    2. Tell her I will put favourite rhymes in CD.
    3. If still it continues I say - OK you wanna stay here fine myself and dad are leaving...

The last call she gets in.. Again she has it very very rarely so never hard to trick... I was always against giving candies so never showed that as bribe to her... Everybody here has given good suggestion....

1 person likes this.
  8. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Man, those good old days!!!!

Now I'm dealing with ' why do I have to come everywhere you want me to come '

Fight starts much before we reach the car, in fact it starts from the time we get the requirement in our hand :(:(:(:(..

3 people like this.
  9. misspink14

misspink14 Bronze IL'ite

My son did give us a hard time. I just told him that he as to be safe same as everyone else. He looked at us funny, but he knew that we were not playing. I play his music in the car sometimes, and he always has a toy in his hand.

I do not bribe with food b/c that can cause other issues later in life.

1 person likes this.