1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Sunscreen Lotion

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SupriyaDinesh, May 5, 2008.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Can u suggest a good sunscreen lotion?I searched for this in IL..but found only regarding sunscreen in india..

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

coppertone is good.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

You will find it plenty in all the shops.. in my walmart they will stack it in the center aisles itself
    buy any that has higher SPF
    I am using one for face that has SPF and moisturiser .. i think its clear some name.. very light and nice.. bought in walmart
    I personally like coppertone for kid .. SPF 30 or higher.. bec kid is more outdoor than I.
    The sprays are also really good these day. hope I helped.

4. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Supriya,
    I found Oley (SPF 20 or 30) and Neutragena SPF 55 is very good on skin.
    But for a whole day out in sun, I use an Athelete sunscreen "Hawaiian Island Creations 2X Sunblock, SPF 50 Lotion".... its really very good.....usually I feel burning sensation even with certain suncreen when I get exposure to sun but with this sunscreen, I never felt any burning sensation even staying in sun for whole day.
    Lakme (SPF 15) from India is not at all good here as US has a high UV index....
    Regards.

5. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding Coppertone.
    It is kept along with all the other tanners in the store. Is it not a tanner?
    Does it not tan the skin?

When you use it have you seen that you skin does not tan when you are out in the sun long?

6. SupriyaDinesh

Thank you friends for u pick.Let me check in walmart aisle.Last year i used a sunscreen in UK..which when applied leaves white patches.But it protected well.How is these sunscreens texture when applied?

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

A very timely thread..especially since the summer is officially going to start here in US, next month and it is already getting warm/hot .

Coppertone is a good brand and it comes in different types.

One is Coppertone babies- pink bottle- this all of us can use...including small kids, please look for SPF higher than 30..preferably 50..usually I go for 50 SPF..

Copper tone sport - blue bottle- this is again for kids playing lots of outdoor games. THis is water proof too..since people/kids use this during swimming too.

Coppetone spray-green bottle- this is extremely convenient since we do not need to apply..but just spray on the exposed areas.

And yes, these lotions become sticky , as they are thick and form some white patches, that evaporates & spreads out after some time. The spray is sticky but does not have white coating.

To answer Sheetha's question,

we need to look for sunscreens/lotions that do not have tanners. Regular sunscreens do not tan our skin.

But, we basically use Sunscreens to protect us from the harmful rays of the sun. But, our Indian skins do tan irrespective of whether we use the sunscreen or not. We definitely need to use them to prevent sun burns & patches.

Hope this helps !

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. ranivasan

ranivasan Senior IL'ite

I agree copper tone is good..have been using brand called Principal secrets reclaim with argireline sunscreen for face and body with spf of 30. I find it very good.....its fragerance and oil free. Got it in NY last time around. You can check their website which is www.buyprinicipalsecret.com and they are reachable toll free at 800-510-4961

9. SupriyaDinesh

I think major votes to coppertone.I havent been to shopping yet.Will update once i get it.Thank u ladies.

10. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Thanks for the detailed explanation Krithika. Its very helpful.