1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Do you miss India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by tanmayi, May 6, 2008.

1. tanmayi

tanmayi Bronze IL'ite

I wish to ask the women who have settled abroad the following questions please

a) What are the three things that you mostly miss about India
    b) What are the three things that you like mostly in the country you are residing in
    c) How is the work culture different from India (punctuality, productivity, human resources management, operational systems, it can be anything that is different from India)
    d) How are the Indians respected / treated in your Country, what do they generally think about India and it's people.

Tanmayi.

sindmani likes this.

2. seeba27

seeba27 New IL'ite

Dear Tanmayi,

U have started a nice thread which makes everyone think.
    U have asked ladies who r settled abroad.Though Iam not settled here(I will come back to india in a year or two) ,I would like to post a reply.
    • Three things I miss about India:-
    1)My family
    2)Colourful marraige ceremonies
    3)Caring doctors(Here doctors talk with mind not with heart)
    • Three things I like here(UK):-
    1)Plenty of time with my husband(since he doesn't have
    work pressure here).
    2)No traffic
    3)The spring(beautiful flowers....,green grasses...) .
    • How indians are respected :-
    There are people who think Indians are stealing their jobs,
    and who want to get rid of us.Not everyone thinks the same.
    In my experience I have seen teenagers and school children
    making comments or noices when we pass by.The elderly
    people treat us in a very good manner.
    There is no problem in the place we work.My hubby says
    they treat the same as them when it comes to workplace.Computer Typing

with luv,
    seeba.

3. ramyaganesh

ramyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi Tanmayi,

you started a Nice thread.. Here are my answers:

a. Three things i miss: 1. My Dad
    2. My Dad
    3. My Dad... I miss him alot..
    b. I dont have anything to like specifically here.. but i feel so happy to stay here because we will be away from my In-laws.

c. As i am on H4 i cant answer this question..

d. We are staying in North houston.. the apartments where we are staying, we are the only indian family.. so they dont want us to stay with them.. alwyas trying to create some or other disturbance to us..

regards,
    ramyaganesh

4. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Very good thread!!
    I stay In US. Here are my inputs:

a) What are the three things that you mostly miss about India :

I miss crowd here.I miss poking yet caring nature of crowd. I miss the fullness you feel when you are on road there. You won't feel this hollow, as you feel in US.
    I miss presence of liveliness in general here.

b) What are the three things that you like mostly in the country you are residing in

I love the law and order, the fact that no one will mess with you, if you are doing right thing. I also love the respect for human life. And the fact that no one is sufferring on road without food and shelter gives me much more peace to look around. In India , I am constantly stressed to see so much agony and sufferring on roads.

c) How is the work culture different from India (punctuality, productivity, human resources management, operational systems, it can be anything that is different from India)

I like professionalism in people. Even if someone annouces themselves Gay, no one gossips about it near water cooler. As would be the case in India. I love the way women are treated just same.. in work place.

d) How are the Indians respected / treated in your Country, what do they generally think about India and it's people.

From where I see, I find Indians treated nicely. I feel people find Indian intelligent and educated lot. I am yet to come across some negative vibe about Indians.

1 person likes this.
  5. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

I have been living in us for 35 yrs.
    I miss the extended family,support system, maid service festivities in india and nostalgic memories.
    I like the kindness,punctuality,productivity ,
    Good The old crowd was the cream.

6. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

Hi Tanmayi..here are my thoughts

1. I miss my parents, relatives and all the beautiful get-togethers they all come to.
    2. I miss all the good Indian food and my mom's and dad's cooking of course!
    3. I miss all the wonderful Indian chudidhars (In spite of my party collection here, I miss those cotton dupattas etc) / ornaments/ home decors
    4. I miss many Indian seasonal fruits and vegetables
    5. I miss the warm rainy season

Sorry going above 3 things, but you got me started J

I live in California, US. If I start just praising my dear California alone, then people from other states may get annoyed. So, I will try talking about US over all.

1. I love the Ethics, the untold rules people follow.
    2. I love the opportunities one can have in this land of opportunities. If you have will, you can actually make your wildest dreams come true here.
    3. I love living far away from everyone, so that I have my own space. Just my family and My life. I can always be in touch with everyone I want to, in India and take care of them financially if needed. Though this may not work for long when my parents and in-laws stop working and need us in few years from now.

Work culture - I've never worked in India so I may not tell you the difference between the work culture here and there at present. But with what I know over all..

• I think the age-old superiority of higher-level people (bosses/ supervisors) still continues even today in India. I love the way people all are equal here. My boss may yell at me with a red face when things are not right, but I can joke and tease him at all the other times. I can just say that I need to do some things and that I am leaving and No one would ask me not to go and sit there working. I love that casual and understanding way. It reminds me of the time when I was pregnant around 8 months and my boss came and gave me a company policy printout which talks about places in the office to pump breast milk and timings etc. It was very casual, no embarrassment – nothing!

I think it comes from the culture and place too. In India, people can judge you by your position, but caste, social status, language etc. But here, since everyone is an immigrant per say, they all are equal. I can just complain to higher authorities that certain person is causing me "Stress". That is all I need to solve my problems with that person.

2. I love the three-day weekends, which come up almost once in two months.

3. I love the way people are from different parts of the world and how they all bring a different and unique point of view to work. It is wonderful.

1. Indians are mainly considered "intelligent and very well educated" in technology fields. But they are also ridiculed for their accents, lack of proper English and lack of proper dress sense (Some cases) and oh..I forgot most important, they are made fun of their punctuality!!

2. I see that all whites and others respect Indians more than Indians and Pakistanis treat Indians. Living in this country for the past 10 years, I never understood why it is so hard to acknowledge, respect and talk to the fellow Indian or Pakistani. Some Indians just desperately try to avoid Indian's at all times!!

Hope I gave my thoughts to all of your questions.

7. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Hi Tanmayi,

Nice set of questions.
    Can I enquire if you are asking them because you are planning on a move?

- Family - We do have some family here in the US, but they spread so far apart
    - Friends - I miss the friends i grew up with
    - Food - When we lived in California, Indian food was great. In Arizona, it sucks. Even the items in the Indian grocery store are sooo old and stale in Arizona.

- The safety and security. 911 response times are less than 5 minutes Everywhere.
    - Cleanliness and healthcare -
    - Expectation of freedom and equality - Women are equal to men. Being a woman, I love not being considered inferior/secondary to men.

- I have not worked in India, but we hired some folks to come in from TCS/Satyam as part time consultants. These folks were really really afraid to confront their bosses. In the US we can raise issues with procedures and no one will yell at us for that. They will actually commend us that we are working towards improvement of the process.
    - Punctuality is not even a question in the US. Being late is considered as bad a stealing. "Time is Money"
    - HR is a big deal. This is where freedom and equality come in. If anyone is mistreated or discriminated the company will immediately be sued for Millions of Dollars. This keeps HR on their toes to make sure no one is discriminated.

- Depends on where in the US you live. This is a complicated question as I have learnt since my move from California to Arizona.
    Blue States (Democrats) - Everyone thinks Indians are great.
    Red States (Republicans)- Folks are quite ignorant and dont like "immigrants"
    I lived near San Francisco, California (Blue State) and I loved it. When I moved to Arizona (Red State), one of the first things I was told by someone at work was "I hate folks who come to our country and still try to keep the cultures form their country". They had never met "East Indians" before. This was in the "multinational" company, "Intel". Imagine how bad a non multinational company in a Red State will be.

8. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

9. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Here's mine........

10. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

nice Tanmayi for starting a new topic.
    Here's wat I feel:

I miss all the fun with my family, cousins & friends back home.
    I miss the festival seasons, temples, elephant possessions...and..and wat not.
    I miss my lazy days when my mom used to do all for me n my siblings..(now I realize her value)!!!

What I love here is a pleasant atmosphere to live in, cleanliness, none poking nose into others personal matters, being with my hus’ & baby.. also with my papa.

About work culture etc... perhaps I’m not the one to comment on that. But I guess its far better here than in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

Indians don’t usually find much prob here. More than half the population here are Indians I suppose. Not fair to speak bad about our hosts..!