Are U Aware What Happens On The Delivery Table

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by sunkan, Jul 2, 2007.

1. swetakiran

swetakiran New IL'ite

dear nandu mam,

I love my country, thats the reason why iam critical about system there, if my country can do well in tech why not in other fields too?and i have stated "most of them", not all of them, i come from family with lot of docters, i know them well so i can compare others, some docters are like horses let free, here they all follow atleast some basic rules and regulations, like tied horse, its not about i love this country and hate mine. for instance carrying guns from childhood, scary.

and my delivary was not by certified nurse like here, it was night, nurse came and checked and told its going to be morning and went ,u know daadis, they forced me, i heard babys head popped out, suddenly nurse [ after ayyas called], she pulled baby, then came docter.

if we dont have critical eye, there is no chance of improving, so being a true lover of my nation, i want, government to do something, atleast some basic guidelines for nationwide medical care, so people will be treated more nicer.

warm regards,

sweta kiran

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I was on holiday and came back to find this thread has moved so much.....

Nandhu, Jithiks, Vidhya, VnBaby....thank you for understanding what I was trying to say and putting it much better than I did.

Sweta - I'm sorry you had a bad experience here, but I'm sure you'll agree that there are bad doctors in every country - not just our own. I fully agree that better monitoring systems are needed, esp for the private sector.

And finally I will only say one thing - very cliched but true - "you can wake a sleeping person but not one who is pretending to sleep". So no arguments/reasoning/facts are going to change the mind of someone who has definitely made theirs up :)

Vanathi.

3. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Dear Sweta,

I commend you for sharing your experience and bringing up the issues you starkly saw before your very own eyes.

The resistance to improvement in India is humongous. No one wants to bring up issues for change because this is what happens as soon as one does. They are bombarded by people who have no interest in seeing India improve. As long as we have people like these, India will have a very hard time improving in any field.

Only when we learn to see ourselves through critical eyes, there is hope for much improvement. US is one of the most self critical countries internally. They wont let anyone outside critisize them, but inside they will critisize one another constantly to constantly improve practices and procedures. Once we think we dont need any more improvement, guess what, we wont have any more improvement.

This is a bane for our great nation. It is not going to end anytime soon. I am sure you will continue to see many replies which say "no improvement needed" in one devious roundabout form or another.

But you are brave to care about our country in the face of soooooo much resistance to our country's welfare.

4. Uma Jogi

Uma Jogi Senior IL'ite

Hi IL's

am yet to concieve ...but reading all your posts made me feel very much tensed...!!
    I feel like we loose a sex life after a normal delivery!! is that with all or only some cases!! and what if a C-section happens with us without a normal delivery...
    how long the sutures wld be there?? and what are the other complications involved if we undergo a C-section...!!
    Oh My God am bit scared...!! But trying to know how patience and energetic a women must be...
    Hats off we are Born a Women..!!:coffee

5. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Can you share info about your doc to us. I live in Chennai and I am training to be a Childbirth Educator. I would love to know about these very few Docs who are willing to wait when there are no risks than fit everything including deciding when the baby should be born for their own convenience.

Deepa

6. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I am a Childbirth Educator and this post is for the women who are pregnant or wanting to be. An Episiotomy is a surgical cut made from the end of the vagina towards the anus under a local anaesthetic. It is one of those procedures which is done as a routine in India but it depends on your doctor. There are some reasons for which may need an episiotomy like speeding up delivery if the baby is stuck for too long , to reduce pressure on baby's head if premature, if outlet forceps are used then for more space.

You can discuss with your doctor on " Whether she feels an episiotomy is always necessary" or is it based on the situation.

There are certain things one can do to try and avoid an episiotomy if your doctor agrees.

1. Do Kegels Exercise
    2. Do prenatal perineal massage i.e Sit comfortably on a bed with your knees bent and relaxed. Clean your index finger and lubricate with KY Jelly or veg oil. Place on the bottom of your vagina and give slight pressure and massage in a "U" shape and slowly stretch the region. First it may sting then slowly you will get used to the pressure and then you can increase the pressure. This can be done from 34 weeks for about 4-5 times a week. This will prepare your perineum region for the stretching which will happen during delivery. Yo can also ask partner to do it for you. Even if there will be an episiotomy doing this will help faster healing. DO not do this if you have any vaginal infection then it worsen.
    3. Try to walk around during active labour and try to be upright instead of lying down through out.

Having an episiotomy is not easy but most of us have come through it. The healing period is a little painful Here are some tips to handle :

Sit on a pillow or cushion
    Wet some sanitary pads with water and freeze them .
    Wear it or keep on your stiches to help lessen the pain.
    try a sitz bath - fill a plastic large basin which fits on your toilet with warm water and sit on it for a while. Other wise you can pour warm water for a while.

Passing the first motion may be scary as you may feel the stiches will tear but dont worry at all. The stiches are strong and will not rip. But do not strain , maybe a laxative will help.

Yes An Episiotomy is avoidable but in India it is a matter of routine and only when women ask for how to avoid an episiotomy will doctors become aware of the need that we have a choice and would like to use it. Choose your doctor on recommendation from other women who have had a good experience.

As far as C-section rates go yes it is high in the US and in India but there is an awareness and movement there and hopefully women like us can make a change here.

Sorry for the long post

Deepa

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  7. lucullan

lucullan New IL'ite

Deepa thanks for your post! This thread started of very weird. That is not the way to present delivery!

I am not indian but i will now deliver mz second kid in india. i have wonderful doctors here in hyderabad who assured me that they will not do episiotomy (since i don't want one) they don't think of inducing labor until 42 weeks - it seems it's 1 weeks for indian ladies. who encouraged me to make a birth plan and think of how i want my labour to be. and that too is india. iif you ask me it's more advanced then any hospital in europe, where i come from. so not all is bad and dark and gloomy :)

with my first delivery i had episiotomy (totally uneccessary one) but i recoverd just fine. and there is nothing wrong with sex life after episiotomy - why is the original poster scaring women like that?!? I agree that episiotomy is not required and you should say you don't want it unless it becomes medically necessary (baby being stuck for too long etc.). until women will allow episiotomy, doctors will be performing it. It's up to us to say no to it. and to say no, you need confidence and confidence you get from bing informed to the point you are sure what you are talking about. and when you are properly informed it can't happen that posts like the original on this thred can scar you.

maybe my post is useless but i just needed to say something on the topic cos i feel very strongly about it. my due date is in 11 days :)

8. kv_shyamala

kv_shyamala New IL'ite

Latha Madam,

Can you tell me about the homeopathy medicine which most probably proceed to normal delivery than C-Section?

I have already heard of this. I too reside in chennai. It will be great if you can help me. I am currently in 29th week.

9. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

I read this thread with great interest. it is always better to be informed rather than being ignorant in this times.
    I read a lot abt episiotomy and abt the method of delivery now and in olden days.
    Actually now a days the method of delivery is more convenient to the doctors and nurses rather than the mother.
    the main drawback is we are against the gravity. lying down on bed. and no movements, mostly in bed for the most of the labor.
    Let me tell you abt my experiences:
    Water broke in middle of the night, i know that the docs wont let me eat or take bath if i go to hospital immediately, so i took bath, got ready, ate some good food( my mom was there and she was more tensed than me and dh)
    we went to hospital and got admitted, the nurse came in to put the heplock for me which i said to put it later, she was surprised but listened to me and i was happy. atleast we were feeling positive.

then the contractions never got stronger and so they induced with pitocin and doc and nurse bugged me to take epidural. but we waited and waited until i couldn't bear the pressure of the doc and the pain.
    My doc was more of medical rather than natural. so he was upset that i didn't take epidural and i told him i would take it only if he can guarantee that i wont have c sec.
    when epidural is taken before 5 cm dilation there are more chances of Csec.
    so finally i took the epidural.
    The docs and nurses want the delivery ward to be quiet and pin drop silence. so dozed moms are better to deal with than the moms who are moaning with pain.

They dont let us eat food while in labor, so we dont throw up,( very few throw up) or if they have to perform emergency c sect etc..
    without food less energy to push the baby.
    They didn't let me take a shower becos water broke and they induces but warm water would help ease the pain.
    My doc wanted to leave home by 5pm, so he kept increasing the pitocin and wanted me to dilate fast and i fought back for that but no use.
    finally by 3.45 i was dilated and nurse helped me to start pushing. by 4.10 baby was out.
    the doc came in ready to do epi, and i suggested him not to come near my with those instruments which made him upset.
    but he listened to me. i told him let the tear be natural and he used forceps and then stitched the natural tear.
    i read somewhere that natural tear heals faster and is safer and which was what was done in olden days and now a days medically we are advanced so, docs do this procedure as a routine and systematic. my bradley instructor too told that natural tears are better but all my friends disagree with that, so i dont know for sure which is better. but i didn't have problems with natural tear, it took a while to heal becos i had to climb stairs as soon i came home, do little housework too and didn't do much for healing the stitches. i didn't do sitz bath etc.

I went for bradley classes which the doc didn't like, they preferred their patients to go for lamaze class.
    When i pushed i could feel the baby kicking my ribs and i followed my instinct in pushing and dh was looking at the monitor.

My mom told me abt her good birthing experience, she said the nurses massaged her which helped her so much in pain and eased the baby to come out. she was let to squat and push which was more easier and no epi, no stirrups etc. and it was more easy and quicker itseems.

10. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi

very informative post..thanks for sharing