Pain Less Deliveries

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by varshini, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: Epidural Help

thanks for the frank info, Shwetha:) For cases like me who skipped the last pushing pain (due to c-section in first delivery) and have no clue it can be really helpful. Hope you're feeling better now with your back pain. Latha

2. swetakiran

swetakiran New IL'ite

thanks for the concern latha,

my backpain comes now and then, often evenings end of the day, as i had no help after delivaryWitsend, it may also be because of stress, my in laws will be coming this week, so hopefully i may get better.

warm regards, shwetha

3. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Hi Manasa,

An Epidural would be a great idea during labor and delivery. I recently attended our hospital's Childbirth Orientation Class. Someone asked what percentage of women take epidural help. The answer was 95%. All of them want it, but some end up waiting too late and a small percentage (like folks who have sciatica or earlier spinal problems) are not good candidates.

One very important point to keep in mind that your epidural must be given by an Anesthesiologist and not by a nurse. An Anesthesiologist as you know is a medical doctor who is trained to administer anesthesia and manage the medical care of patients before, during, and after surgery. Nurses are great and are acutally your biggest help and support during delivery. But you should make sure your epidural is given by an Anesthesiologist and not a nurse.

One of my friends has two kids, her first epidural was given by a nurse. The nurse took a few tries poking her spine with that looooong needle before getting it right. My friend does have pain upon contact in the area that she was poked wrongly. For her second baby an Anesthesiologist gave her epidural and she felt it was the best thing ever. It took just 1 quick poke and the pain was gone within 5 minutes.

She advised me to make sure that I only take epidural from an Anesthesiologist. I think it will help if you also attend your hospital childbirth orientation and make sure of this a couple of months before your delivery.

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi friend,
    I had epidural for c-section.Its 2 years back.I dint get any back pain.If the body posture is wrong and too much weight gain after delivery ,it may lead to back pain..but epidural may not be the reason.

5. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shwetha,

Thanks for the lil note of appreciation in between your post! So sweet of you!! :-DIt made my day!:)

take care,
    Aarushi

6. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends!!

I am in my 18th week. I have been reading this thread from the very beginning and after reading everybody's views I was quite convinced to go for Epidural during my delivery. Because everybody wants a less painful and safe delivery :hide:. But after that I watched a video posted by another friend(IL) here in "I am pregnant" section about childbirth. This video is very very informative about chirlbirth, stages of delivery and many other informational things which I didnt know :coffee. In this video they have given information about various pain medications also. Epidural is one of them. As every thing has something bad and good about it Epidural is not an exception. They told that it can longer your labour time and I have read on internet that it can also slowdown heartbeat of baby as any anesthesia can.

So friends please tell me how wrong or right they are because I want to take Epidural but dont want to take risk with my baby also shakehead. I think some doctor ILs can elaborate about it.

Here is the link for video. It was posted by Gokusha:

Childbirth

Take care
    V n baby

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

It is true that epidurals can slow down labor, as can picotin, the medicine that is used to induce labor in some cases. The advisable thing to do is to wait till you are 5cms dilated to get an epidural. That allows you to rest when your contractions are at their peak, which helps to conserve energy for the "pushing" part of the delivery. The only catch is that once you are past 7cms dilated, epidural is of little help, so your window of time to get the epidural is quite short. But all my friends who have had the epidural have appreciated the fact that it allowed them to rest before the push stage.

8. nidhi99

nidhi99 New IL'ite

Epidural

Hello Friends,

I am concerned about epidural which is used for labor pain relief. I read about it over internet and I found this has some serious disadvantage. As you can have lower back pain after that for a long time. Is this true? Is there anybody on this forum who can share her experience about it.

Thanks,

9. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Epidural

I also read that somewhere which is why I opted to go natural....had both babies with labor lasting from 19 for the 2nd to 22hrs for the 1st. I figured my mom and grandmothers were able to do, so could I.

Trust me, you will forget the pain once u see ur baby...good luck!

10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Re: Epidural

I used an epidural and did not have any problems. I did not initially take it , but as the pain increased opted for it. My labor did not progress very well, (I was induced at week 37 because of low fluid and likely my body was not ready) so after 10 hours the doc decided to do a c/s because the baby did not tolerate the labor well.

However I did not have any specific issues because of the epidural itself. I had sore back and hips for a few days, but it went away.

My doctor said that the epidural is relatively safe and side effects/complications are rare. You may want to check out this pamphlet from ACOG - my doctor gave me this:
    ACOG Education Pamphlet AP086 -- Pain Relief During Labor and Delivery