Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

You should try various foods...try half or smaller quantities and then see...check each time you try something new...I know it is cumbersome pricking yourself but at the cost of having a healthy baby nothing is difficult right!!!

2. geetha mahesh

My nutritionist recommended...a full fat icecream 1 cup at night...as it contains I guess not more than 2 carbs..it is not sugar or fat..it is the amount of carbohydrate in the diet which concerns in Diabetes...as the rate of blood sugar raises faster with increased carbs...and puts stress on the growing fetus to adjust his blood sugars....and he will have hypoglycemia or low blood suagrs once he is out of the uterus...

3. geetha mahesh

Re: gestational diabetes

One morething to add...weight can also be less or baby can be LoW BIRTH WEIGHT with GDM if it is very tightly controlled with fasting or very low carb intake by mom...it is tough for mothers to diet but there are options...LBW can be disasterous and children can be born premature...so please be cautious with your eating

4. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on managing your GD well.

There is a small correction I would like to make. Fruits are the most restricted food for any diabetics. Fruits provide instant sugar and spike glucose. Dietician would allow half an apple and not even one full. One apple contains 21 grams of carbs. Are you referring to one unit of carb?

There is a very strict limit on the consumption of quantity of fruits. There is not much room to negotiate in this one. Fruit = Sugar.

5. geetha mahesh

I think at times nutritionist view differently...by fruits..I meant dont have both fruit and a snack...fruits can be had as snacks definitely...21 carbs is 1. something carbs...your snack can be 1-2 carbs definitely...and I ate whole bananas for snacks and it was ok..sugars never went up...oranges are dreaded and strict no tow atermelons..but at this season no one would eat watermelons...

6. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

It is not only about the units but also about the form. Fruit is instant sugar. That's what I want to convey. Small apple or a mini banana may be fine. Did you check your insulin after snacks? I think - No. It is good to be cautious so that there are not many highs during the day.

7. hymavarun

hymavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi

I had gestational diabetes too.you can have cheese as it contains protiens which is very good if eaten with carbohydrates.it helps to slow down the digestion.dosas raised my sugar levels.

My diet was : i used to eat for for every 2 to 2 and half hours.
    cup of milk no sugar
    2 breads with egg/peanut butter - breakfast
    snack bar like granola bars
    Lunch : cup of rice with curry and curd
    Fruits
    cup of milk
    rotis with curry
    bread with peanut butter before going to bed
    this diet was recomended by my nutritionalist and it helped me with my sugars and good weight
    hope this helps.

8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My own experience mirrors yours. I've been seeing an endocrine nurse practitioner every week for the last 2 months. I actually just saw her this morning. She pores over every bite of food that crosses my lips and has never told me yet, that fruits are a no-no. In fact, I eat 3 meals and 4 snacks a day, out of which 2 snacks comprise of fruits. It is always either 1 small apple, 1 small pear, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of grapes or some other berries (15-20gms carbs), coupled with 1 stick or chunk of cheese (8-10 gms protein). This fruit+cheese snack was actually suggested by my nurse. And besides my regular 4 sugar checks everyday, I also check my sugar anytime I eat something new. Never had a spike with fruits yet. The reason certain fruits like mango and melons are to be avoided is not because of the fructose, but because they have simply too much carbs in one serving.

In fact here's a link from the Mayo clinic that clarifies this 'no fruits' myth.

Diabetes diet: Should I avoid sweet fruits? - MayoClinic.com

9. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

I never said fruits are no-no. All I am trying to tell is fruits provide instant sugar and need more restraint, more so than egg, chicken etc.

Diabetics measure carbs, which include sugar. You don't eat based on sugar alone. Plain rice has no sugar but still bad for diabetics. I assume you already know this.

10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not sure I understand that??

Total carbs matter more than the source of carbs in terms of insulin spikes. I could be wrong but I believe you were stating that somehow 'instant sugar' is worse than other sources of carbs. 1/3rd cup of rice is 15 gms of carbs and so is 1/2 a cup of grapes. In terms of the impact on blood sugar, the difference between the two is negligible. Eggs and chickens have less than 1 gms of carbs per serving, so I doubt they are a useful comparison.