1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Time to stitch

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by chandrakiran, Sep 17, 2013.

1. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

Hi all-

I take quite a long time to finish stitching a particular piece. I want to speed up this. Being a working women with two small kids, i am left with little time, probably 2-3 hours (not continuous) a week for this.
    So if i do the cutting on a day and stitching on another day, a salwar for me takes two days. Same with a kameez. sometimes the whole week i dont get enough time, and it spills over to next weekend.
    Whats the best way to plan and execute the stitching quickly. If its a saree, then doing the pico, attaching the falls and then doing the blouse, overall takes a long time, and i end up going to a tailor when i need something ready quickly.

Any tips to speed up/plan better??
    Thanks!

2. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

What i do being a working woman is i decide patterns for my dresses first and then cut two or more dress materials together and then sew them later one by one whenever i get time. If possible try to cut some time from your other activities.

If i don't get time or in case of emergency, i go to tailor....and there is nothing wrong going to a tailor than damaging your materials in haste.

3. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Yes

the same for me too.. at least you are finishing within a week i took 5 - 6 days to sew a chuti pant lol... when you compare with me you are so quick.
    I spend more time in kitchen to avoid that i use to prepare food for two days and keep it in fridge so next day i can get continuous time

4. chandrakiran

Thanks for the replies. I wonder how tailors do so many orders in a day. I thoroughly enjoy doing the job myself, but have to really squeeze up time during weekends when kids sleep. Keeping measurements, designs, paper cuttings ready is one way to speed up the cutting process maybe.

5. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi Chandrakiran

First of all kudos to you to manage stitching along with working and two children at hand. That itself is a big feat :D :thumbsup

As others suggested it would be good if you cook at a stretch for the whole day and keep so that you get a decent amount of time. Also preimagine the pattern and keep cut and then pin it and keep and stitch it if time permits the same day itself.

1 person likes this.
  6. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

i cut the chudithar in one day, and stitich it on other day. usually on weekends

7. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Me too. after cutting a blouse, it takes a week or two to go for stitching. Sometimes, some pieces will go missing. Hence i plan to go for cutting in week days, save the cutted pieces in a cover. whenever i find time in late nights i do the stitching. it takes 5 days for me to finish the blouse.

But tailors job is this only and they do fast stitching due to practice. hence nothing wrong in slow stitching... keep up ur work.

andal

8. sharadau

sharadau Gold IL'ite

what you can do is when you cut the cloth do the darts markings at the same time,group the cuttings back part, front part ,sleeves, bands etc and name them putting pins on these seperately you can save time in searching for the pieces. when time permits you can stich your dress easily,do the hemming part later.when there isa will there is a way.

9. chandrakiran

thanks for the tips. I have two new materials for stitching ready with me and plan to begin working on it this week. i'll try and use these tips this time.