1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Blouse hemming/piping

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by jeny12, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

hi all,

I know how to stitch blouse, but sometimes, the piping on the back side is not clean.. It means.. not so perfect.

below are the ways to finish the neck line
    1. piping.. no need to hem.. with a length piece of cloth, we can stitch
    2. hemming.. (for normal blouse) stitch covering the neck with the flat strip of cloth folded twice. And hem aagin by folding it. (i hope i am clear here :boo:)
    3. hemming for lining blouse (is this different from above point no 2?)
    4. lining blouse without hemming. Please anyone share how to do this.

I hope everyone will be knowing this. i have not continued the tailoring class until it is finished, i skipped lining blouse classes:iagree. So the above doubts were due to that.

Also, the books only have the theory "how to make a draft and cutting part". There are no books talks about how to stitch, tips and tricks Computer Typing.

Please share the method that you do..it will be greatly helpful

1 person likes this.

2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ramya,
    Perfection comes only by practice.
    My suggestions would be
    1. Hope you are cutting a bias strip.
    2. For hemming don't fold it twice, instead make a small fold on side and put at least long stitch lenthwise, then attach other end to the blouse, then do little notches taking care not to cut stitches for every 3 or 4 inches. Then open do a top stitch on the hem strip fro right side gripping the raw end underneath. The do the hemming manually.
    3.For piping too adopt same procedure as above till notches. Then fold the previously stitched end maintaining the breadth of piping through out stitch as much closer the stitch made to join the strip with blouse gripping the folded end underneath
    4. For lining blouse you can do in above methods or stitching the right side of main cloth over the lining, make notches, then turning it over. But if the main cloth is transparent, the trapped ends well be seen outside. Facing works out better for different shapes of neck
    Hope i am clear and it helps
    Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  3. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

good question..i too have several such doubts, and no books or sites give this kind of tips & tricks.
    For a blouse or kameez with lining, can we finish the neck with the lining itself? That seems easier to do, but i do not know if thats the right thing to do. Else if we try to do a facing neck finish including both the blouse and lining pieces held together, isnt that going to become thick there?
    Thanks!

4. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi chandrakiran,

It is better to finish the neckline with facing. It gives a good finish. If you finish off by stitching the cloth with right side over lining and turn, it lacks the stiffness and may soon fray also.

In youtube you search for "women's hub". They have excellent tutorial for salwar and lining blouse.

Hope it helps.
    Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  5. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

hi manjukps, can you please post and pictures that describes how to do hemming for lining blouse.

Also, what do u mean by "neckline with facing". i dont get it

6. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

ladies!!! badly need your experience here!!!