1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you pursue your talent or your passion?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by BharadwajThiru, Sep 30, 2013.

1. BharadwajThiru

BharadwajThiru Silver IL'ite

As parents, whenever we see kids do something naturally, something we have discovered serendipitously, we assume it is talent. We then want to encourage it and perhaps even share that proudly with friends and relatives.

We may even go to the extent of enrolling them in classes to improve upon the talent. Soon this may lead us to register them up for competitive events. Little do we realize the impact of this on the child. For some, this may turn to inspiration and they go on to achieve accolades and for others this may turn them off completely and the “talent” leads to frustration.

On the other hand we see that some children may not have a specific talent, but have a lot of passion. When allowed to nurture correctly, this passion may lead them to surpass others who may have a natural talent for it.

Growing up, I don’t think I ever had a natural talent. Music was a big part of our life and I too spent a few years learning the violin. I can’t say I had either talent or passion for it. The thought of playing like the maestros was always there and I was a quick learner. However, when I left home for higher studies, I came across real talent and very soon saw my shortcomings. I soon abandoned this altogether.

Perhaps this thought of exceling was always there in me and I enrolled my kids into instrumental lessons in the hope that my dreams could now be vicariously achieved. As school activities increased towards the senior years, it conflicted with other passions they had built and music was relegated a lower priority.

Today, I wonder, what takes precedence and eventually leads to success, passion or talent?

6 people like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear BT,

Passion is something without which we cannot live and it sometimes becomes anchor of our life. Why we are passionate about something has no logic or reasoning. It may be like becoming an expert in some fields of arts or science or something very big and as simple as our hobbies like knitting or reading or cooking or anything. Sometimes talent and passion combine and if given proper encouragement and facilities that would get excellent results. We see some such people around us. The line is very thin. One thing is for sure...none of these can be forced on others.
    When children are young we can spot their talent and encourage them to achieve, They should not be forced or pushed.

For passion nobody need to tell us...it is in built.

My observations confusing!!!! Confusing to me also!

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  3. BharadwajThiru

Dear Syamala
    Thanks for being the first to provide FB. Nothing confusing about what you wrote.

I agree with you that no one should be forced or pushed to do something if they lack interest. That said, younger kids may need to be encouraged as they may be unable to understand the importance of practice and diligence.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Bharadwaj dear a though provoking post which I can relate to. True when we know that our children have got some talent we have to encourage and see that they reach their goal. But both the couple should think the same and also we should have the finance to make them achieve in whatever they are interested. I know we cant force them to do something because it will be our interest and they wont have any interest . Our interest and children's interest differ. In present age all mothers want their children to be the best and some force the children to do something and since the children are not talented in that field they dont succeed and the parents get disappointed. So better to encourage them in whatever field they are interested some may not be interested in studying but they are very much interested in sports and some other things. As I had written about my meet with my office friends for get together I met my close friend with whom I used to buy sarees and we had a special shop for that. After having two daughter she got a son . The daughters are married and she has become grandmother of their children. Her son is not so good in studies but good in sports. He is expert in cricket and now he is coaching SAchin's son and she and her husband and son are members of that club where we went for get together. The parents encouraged him in sports so now he is doing well in cricket and coaching also. But still her son has studied only B.com so now she is worried that he should get a good job. She knows many people and he will definitely get a good job. But as a mother I can see her unhappiness that being a son heshould have studied well so that he would have got a good job where he can shine and come up

In present times there is no difference between daughters and sons and both are given good education and now a days girls want to be double graduates and they dont worry even if they are not married. But as parents especially the mother gets worried when her daughter is not married at the right age. One of my relative's daughter is a CA and now she is holding the top post in a bank and she is 41 years old but not married yet. Her mother is very much worried about that when she attends everyone's marriage in our family and those who are younger than her are married

There are those who were not so educated in our times but still got a good job and raised up. One example is my younger brother who studied only upto X std. He got a job as godown keeper in our Calcutta Depot first. He did well there, so he was transferred to Patna, when they opened branch there , from there he went to Bombay and Chennai and when he came to Lucknow he was promoted as Depot Manager. Earlier he was very good in speaking Hindi as he studied in Hindi medium but after getting job got well versed in speaking English too. I was very proud of him when our Vice President told me see from where to where your brother has reached.

In my time I wanted to be a graduate but we were not financially well off and my father said if I put you in college then I wotn be able to get a partner who has studied higher than you. So I could not study. But still I was happy that from a Typist I could raise to the level of Senior Assistant looking after the bank reconcilation of the whole Company, thanks to my bosses and Vice Presiden tI could reach so far and do something for the Company.
    My son is very talented and I told him to take up CA as that will be better than taking Engineering for which you have struggle till you finish. He took up CA and for his 3rd year training he joined ou roffice and that time ERP was introduced and he could learn that and today he is a Director of a Company which is managed by him and another friend started y them which was financed by some one else. He was interested in writing stories and poems , so I used to get books from Australia for him to improve his writing. He used to write poems in our Contract bus magazine, for our office magazine but now he has no time for all that because his office life is hectic .
    I think in life you need passion and to fulfill that passion we should be talented and get opportunity to achieve our goal

Sorry for the long post, hope I did not bore you and blowing my own trumpet

Our talents are signifiers that lead us toward our unique paths. Follow your passion and you will soon discover where you fit in this world.

Senora Roy quotes | added by: Senoraroy

5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I might be passionate about music but if i dont have the talent i wont be a successful musician.
    I might have all the talent in the world but if i dont've the zest & passion for music....i again end up with the same result.....i'll not be a good musician.

Ideally it should be a 50-50 combination but i think with passion one can develop the talent.....so i hold passion a little above talent.
    And one more thing BT.....if in this world there were clear cut answers to all questions that croped up in our fertile brains then world would have been a more peaceful place today :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Eraser

Eraser Silver IL'ite

Know your natural talent, be passionate about it.

2 people like this.
  7. meja

meja Gold IL'ite

I think talent is something people are naturally born with and passion is something that we learn to like and love as we grow.
    And if a talent is nurtured and eventually loved and shared then it becomes a passion.

Myself for example, I have passion with crafts and hobbies but I am not sure yet what exactly is my talent. During my college days I have this urge or excitement to learn to play the guitar so I did, had few lessons and self taught too. Then I learned to play the guitar but after graduation it stopped and did not have the time to continue playing even as a hobby. Life changes because of some commitments and responsibilities.

1 person likes this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one BT.

The talent is to spot the passion and excel by pursuing in that.

That's where the trick is; neither as parents, teachers, as kids or adults only very few have the talent to spot the passion.

There isn't a straight forward formula to find that - then all of us would be highly successful by pursuing our passion if we had the talent to spot it in the first place :)

4 people like this.
  9. BharadwajThiru

Dear vijima
    Thank you for your long FB to my post. I am flattered! I apologize for the late reply as I got busy for the last week and was only able to afford time today to respond.

By sharing the quote above you have articulated beautifully the difference between talent and passion and the relationship between the two.

At your age, when you share your experiences, the intent is always good. It is never to boast and should/will NOT be treated as such. On the contrary these provides us with free experience which we can only get over a lifetime!

They say there are 3 kinds of people in the world, one who learns from others' experience, one who learns from their own experience and one who never learn at all. By sharing your experiences, you provide us all with an opportunity to learn from you and that is how I perceive it.

At your age, there is nothing to be gained from "blowing your trumpet" other than a pure desire to help others. I continue to look forward to your posts.

2 people like this.
  10. BharadwajThiru

Dear Dinny,
    Thank you for your FB and comment. I agree with you that passion has a slight edge over talent. Its strange how sometimes our talents are seen by others before they are seen by ourselves. Perhaps thats the reason why passion edges over talent.

1 person likes this.