1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Baby born in USA to Indian parents

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nisdesai, Sep 28, 2013.

1. nisdesai

nisdesai New IL'ite

Hi folks,

I am in USA on H1 visa with my wife here. We are expecting our baby to born in early 2014.

I have gone thorugh many forums/articles on internet on pros & cons of having baby born in USA to indian parent. We dont have long term plan for USA and will return back to India in 2-3 years.

I have many question through which any of you might have already gone though regarding

(1) citizenship of baby born in USA to Indian parents
    (2) His future schooling and college education in India and its expenses
    (3) his opportunity for employment in India
    (4) obtain US PP or Indian PP for child after birth in USA
    (5) PIO and its benefits in India, Renewal of PIO from India
    and etc etc.

Please let me know your experience with this situation. We still have time to decide birth place for our baby.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks,
    Nishant

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Even if the baby is born in USA, you can opt not to take US citizenship for the baby. The baby is eligible for Indian citizenship. This is my understanding. Do not confuse which citizenship to take with the place of birth. US might maintain records that baby is born in US.

Next decide which citizenship is better for the baby to have. I don't think anyone can answer this except you.

3. nisdesai

nisdesai New IL'ite

Thanks for reply SimpleMom,

I understand what you siad. But I am concerned about pros & cons of having either of citizenship. If you can guide me on that, it would be great.

4. 3ds

3ds Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I have a friend who studied with me from 4th standard and was there with me during degree and continued studies in masters here in India. After that person went US to do phd. I don't know whether the person has PIO/OCI or took Indian visa for the time staying in India, but having us citizenship helped as there weren't any formality/complication for the future education. I'm not in toch with that person so can't ask for more info.

5. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

This is my personal opinion. If you are from SC/ST/BC/OBC or Muslim minority then go for Indian Citizenship.if not you better go for US citizenship for your kid.