1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The (im)purity of having your period...I just don't get it

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Bubbles25, Sep 18, 2013.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Very true - I don't know about Mahavira, but 'Ur-Buddhism' does not have religious strictures surrounding menstruation. .... don't know about Daoism. That's partly what I was getting at when I wondered about the Chinese.

2. sokanasanah

Not necessarily theological, but the notion that most pre-scientific societies felt a need to deal with menstruation by wrapping it in some set of strictures. I was simply trying to say that it's quite ancient. India often gets a bad rap, because it is an ancient society which has maintained remarkable continuity. So the old and the new coexist, making every category fluid.

I wonder about nomadic societies .... they can't afford to have the little lady lounging about when there's all that gatherin' to be done. There must be a social-anthropology thesis or two floating around about all this - might be interesting to look at!

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

What strictures did the Greeks have (as I know of none) as you were talking about Hellenistic era? I doubt the Chinese had any but don't know for sure. As far as I know, the Jews were just a little desert tribe back then that no one was liking for various reasons.

4. sokanasanah

None as far as I know, the Hellenes seem to have been more or less sharp, but Greece and ancient Egypt are two places where magical properties were attributed menstrual blood.

5. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Anita/Mods,

My plea- let the thread run the course of the organic discussion it has taken form of. Unless it is painful for someone to endure the pain of benefit of quest of knowledge, I don't think any procrustean measures are needed to cull the thread in the name of irrelevancy!

1 person likes this.
  6. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

No new religion was created. As far as I know apostolic epistles provided the guidelines.

If I get the call, I am taking you down with me. I have your confession on record:coffee

Thanks.

if Op loses her patience, then offtrack discussions have to stop. Do we have a deal?

3 people like this.
  7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

We came long way in breaking the ties. It is good to know more about other religious prospective.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  8. rsk11584

rsk11584 Silver IL'ite

Boss: Secretary what happened to the important file which I had asked you prepare for the client meeting?
    Secretary: Sir i forgot to do that,, i will do it today itself, btw i am having my periods
    Boss: Oh my god, dont do any work, go and sit in the isolation chamber and never ever touch the computer or use the printer.

5 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Now that reminds me, there are still some music and dance teacher in my very very conservative area of a metro where you are asked not to come for classes when you have your periods and the teacher does not take class when she has one too.

10. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy,

Last heard- there was some research on ACL injuries during menstrual cycle in the scientific community. Not sure what the consensus is now.