1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for long airline travel with Infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramyaramani, Sep 12, 2012.

1. RamnDeepa

RamnDeepa New IL'ite

Thanks for this wonderful summary i am also very apprenhensive about the trip that i am planning next month. My younger one is just a year old and hyper :). I will keep these mind before i plan

Good day

2 people like this.
  2. renukasuresh

renukasuresh New IL'ite

Very informative thanks

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramyaramani,

Knbg nominated this post to FP of the month. Congratulations to you!

You can be rest assured that this is going to be a very popular post with all the young mothers of our IL family referring to it before they take off on an air travel with their little ones!

Air travel can be a long haul if one is not prepared with some comforting measures. Add a baby to it and it can be even more harrowing. But there are ways to go about it and if one has not done it before, a little help and few tips will be very welcome to a young parent.

You have done a favor to many such first time travelers. Besides, it is always great to have a check list for such things and if the check list is done by someone with experience, is it not what the doctor ordered for the willing patient?!

So, with a list like this and the additional tips and tricks other members have provided here, the baby is going to have a cozy time on its first flight, thanks mainly to you!

L, Kamla

4 people like this.
  4. srimaauro

srimaauro Senior IL'ite

I am going to chennai with my DD (6 months old),can you suggest how to manage the water and hygiene. Do we need to carry water from here or bottled water and home made idli, kanji is ok? Wouldn't cause any digestion or stomach problems?

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some airports allow you to carry your own water. Some do not. You can try your luck by carrying your own bottle.

For any travel it is better to carry food items that your DD is already used to i.e food items that do not cause any problems for her. So if your DD is comfortable with idli then you can carry it. Kanji may not be a good choice as it tends to get spoiled.

6. riya3086

riya3086 New IL'ite

Thank you everyone wonderful post....I am travelling alone to US with 4 month old son.. he has got major vaccinations like hib, ipv,hep b, rota virus dtp.. my question is, is there any specific medicine or vaccinations we need to get from India? I nursing him and also supplementing with formula (lactogen) , once a day, so plan to carry 3 4 bottles with pre filled boiled water... can anyone suggest similar brand of formlula available in US which suits lactogen babies?

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I dont think there is any specific vaccination which you need to get from india. Just make sure to get the vaccination records here though so that you can show them to doctors in US.

8. ramyaramani

I am not sure if you would be able to find another formula that is close to Lactogen since it tends to be on the sweeter side. If required you can order it in Amazon.com. It will cost more and also longer shipping time.

As Rakhii has mentioned you just need to get the vaccination records. You will be asked to give the missing vaccinations here.

9. menuvenki

menuvenki Silver IL'ite

Can anyone suggest me a good diaper bag to carry for air travel for 15 month old? Where I can get either in shop / online ?pls suggest me.

10. ramyaramani

Sorry no inputs on the site/shop front. I found backpack to be the best for air travel with an infant.