My experience with ladoo making

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Annasri, Nov 9, 2012.

1. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

We use raw brown sugar at home only. Tastes like jaggery and we are used to that taste now. I have noticed raw brown sugar has more water content than white. So I tried to compensate by boiling for longer. I will try with white sugar next time. Can you post your recipe measurments?

2. Annasri

Annasri Silver IL'ite

Hi here is my measurement
    I cup besan I took fine besan heard coarse besan does not comes out good ,so for I cup besan water u should slowly mix and c ( consistency should be dropping from the ladle)slowly mix and add little ,little water and bring to the dropping consistency
    1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup 1 tbsp water ( bring to sticky stage I cannot do with one thread as for me every time it's crystalizing ) candy thermometer 200 to 210 not more than 210.I used prestige candy thermometer

1 person likes this.
  3. Annasri

Annasri Silver IL'ite

Hi mom,I use brown sugar only for our filter coffee...

1 person likes this.
  4. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks, ma. I will try your measurement and with white sugar this time. We also use brown sugar, mainly for tea and coffee, because it is so tasty. I used it for the laddoo making that day because that is all I had on hand.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

If you have extra syrup left over ...then I think you have to make more batter and make boondis. Not sure if there is another way.
    Here is my moms recipe for laddus.
    2 cups besan
    2 cups white sugar( I use C & H)
    1/2-3/4 cup of nuts and raisin roasted in ghee
    1 tbslp of the following spices powdered
    cardamom
    saffron
    lavang
    and nutmeg

1.Sift and keep the besan ready.
    2. Take the sugar in a vessel and pour enough water to completely submerge the sugar with a little bit extra. In my case it comes to roughly half the quantity of sugar.
    3.Make the syrup. Candy thermometer reads 205-210.
    Switch off the heat.
    4.Make batter in batches . The consistency should be like dosa batter.Not too thin.
    5.Keep the oil hot when you make the boondis.If the oil is not hot they will stick together at the bottom.
    6. Remove them when they are about 90 % done. And drop them straight into the syrup
    7. Theoretically the syrup should be able to hold all the boondis made from 2 cups of besan .But this may not work always. A lot has to do with the consistency of the batter,how much the boondis puff up and the consistency of the syrup. You might need a little more flour or you might be left over with some.

You need to eye ball the boondi + syrup mixture after about 1 3/4 cups are done. Keep stirring and check if you are able to form a laddu.
    If syrup oozes out then you need more boondis ...if you are able to make and the laddu holds shape you are done.

Add the spices. Mix well. Make laddus (greasing ur palms with ghee helps).
    Each cup typically makes 10 .
    Towards the end ( when things cool down)I find that the mixture becomes dry or the sugar begins to crystallize. Then take the vessel to the stove and warm it once.
    You should be able to form laddus.
    Dont add any water.Just warm.

Hope you are able to make it next time.

4 people like this.
  6. agayathree

agayathree Bronze IL'ite

Awesome dear :). I will make it one day using this measurement. Thank you so much.....

7. Prithu

Prithu Bronze IL'ite

congrats dear, ladoo is really hard to get right. i'm tempted to try the recipe but scared too;)

8. psplatha

psplatha Gold IL'ite

HI,
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I was also trying to make laddu all these years. But went wrong some were. Hope this year laddus will come out well with your recipe .

9. padmapriya1

padmapriya1 Gold IL'ite

will try it out today itself :):)

10. maheswaribala

maheswaribala New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing... This diwali i'm going to make boondi laddoo...hope it will come up good...'