1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage and Depression

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by positivegal, Sep 9, 2013.

1. positivegal

positivegal Gold IL'ite

I see more depression threads nowadays in Married life section, what's happening :drowning

2. soulhappy

soulhappy Silver IL'ite

I think it's because people marry in haste (or even if they marry after dating) and if things go wrong they are not ready to compromise and their tolerance threshold is low. Indian men are tuned to be men and have not changed though women have become empowered . Women are not able to handle stress because it's family stress plus work stress. Lifestyle is to be blamed too. India has become more westernised and problems widely prevalent in western countries have continued to rise for eg depression.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    4 people like this.
  3. Irfana3300

Irfana3300 Silver IL'ite

Every one wants to lead a happy and beautiful married life. Except that they do not know what responsibilities it comes with. Ignorance about hw to lead life after getting married, potentially creates depression in ones life.world of imagination is not same as real one,

Many are not prepared for life after marriage, Hence, come out of disillusion soon as the wedding and honey moon are over, Then they begin to realize realistic picture regarding married life and responsibilities it come with. May be not prepared mentally for it, leads them to constant quarreling over a range of issue and indulges in petty fighting more often. This may also create misunderstanding among the husband and wife. Each of them wil take their own decision. Nowadays no body wil be ready for a compromise or adjustment. Understanding our partner and communication is very important thing for a healthy life.

3 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

From a girl's perspective, we are mostly brought up as equal to our brothers. However all of a sudden, after marriage, there is a U-turn. Our life changes upside down but the husband continues to live with his parents - who expect the DIL to be like the cinematic martyrs. Probably the boy's mum in reality did put up with a lot of nonsense, but that is no reason for the boy and his family to expect the new bride - who is from an entirely different background to put up with it...

Say you were financially secure, emotionally secure, well educated and happy by yourself and you get married into a family which thinks the girl's salary goes to their family; the girl will give all her money, yet be a cook and a maid and a nurse; would act dumb while the head of the house takes outdated decisions; and has to put her needs far below even the family pet's needs, why the do we need to get married??!

I hear educated, guys working in multinationals say things like, "I give my wife total freedom" and I go, "Excuse me, who the hell are you to give her freedom?!?!" Until this disparity is resolved, marriage would cause nothing but depression!!

2 people like this.
  5. SUBHAARCHIE

SUBHAARCHIE Gold IL'ite

Depression gets stemmed due to insecurity issues in the early stages of marriage...As soon as someone gets married the insecurity among relationships starts...and then never ends...Insecurities in relationships damage the wholesome of marriage...MIL feels insecure that the DIL might take away her son from her...DIL insecure about the whole new combo of relations she needs to face off....Husband insecure about he being called either "Mamma's boy" or " Wife's Puppet" ...Everyone has their own insecurities...finally damaging beautiful relationships....Everybody wants everybody to be perfect and tailor made...but doesn't understand the point...no such human being exists in the whole world...
    Everyone wants to teach others lesson...instead its better to learn lesson from things happening around us...Its very difficult to change ppl around us....(Some ppl never change...) The only way to maintain peace is to change ourselves accordingly to maintain our own dignity and happiness...This is just my way of thinking....Not sure how ppl will take it...

1 person likes this.
  6. samraa

samraa Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Marriage is a new beginning for every woman.it involves a continuous cycle of learning.so much of responsibility,multitasking,compromises......may sometimes lead to depression....but,i think we all go through this and emerge stronger to face further hurdles.nurturing this marriage so skillfully is itself a big victory.