Substitute for sugar

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by shruthisp, Sep 9, 2013.

1. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I am looking for Substitute for sugar added with milk/tea/coffee..
    Tried using Jaggery, but when its added with hot milk/coffee it spoils the milk.. Honey is other option, but i prefer it with green tea only.
    storing jaggery is also difficult,it becomes sticky kinda..
    I am not in favour of sugarfree or brown colored sugar etc..

Please let me know your sugar substitutes and ways to store jaggery.

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Try granule d honey see if you like it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Prithu

Prithu Bronze IL'ite

Hi shruti, I've been trying to cut down sugar too ,I use these replacements occasionally.
    I used very good quality palm jaggery ( Karupatti ),export quality stuff is very good, free from dust and dirt, it adds flavour and colour to coffee. The ones that are not of good quality give a strong molasses odour, or have so many sticks and stones in it.
    Brown sugar ( more or less unrefined ) is different from brown coloured sugar ( refined sugar mixed with molasses to give the brown colour). Brown sugar is quite indistinguishable from our regular sugar, healthier version.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Tried splenda?...............

5. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Thanks All..
    @veeramachaneni : hearing granule d honey for firsttime. googled it looks good, but have to find where i can get it in my place. Thanks lot for the suggestion.
    @Prithu : Good to know that you are also trying to cut down sugar in take. I too tried Karupatti but as you said the odour and the dust drove me away.. If you could suggest me the brand name and where u r buying it would be of great help.
    @Rakhii : I am looking for some organic natural substitutes. Have bid adieu to artificial sweeteners after reading couple of articles on it.

6. hema_alex

hema_alex Senior IL'ite

I use something called organic "Blue Agave Nectar". It is extremely sweet and so you need only 1/2 or sometimes even quarter the quantity as sugar when used as a replacement. It is low glycemic making it safe for those with diabetes and on diets.

You can also try adding Cinnamon powder since it makes your drinks sweeter, however it takes time getting used to the taste.

1 person likes this.
  7. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Thanks hema_alex.
    Is that Blue Agave Nectar can be used only with cold beverages ? Can this be added with hot milk/tea etc?
    Also please let me know where this can be brought?

8. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

bought powdered jaggrey from an organic store.. Its convinient to use as of now, storing is also not a problem.. still searching for granule d honey and good brand in palm jaggery. if anybody know the details plz share..

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

try demerra sugar, though popularly used in baking, i like the taste in coffee sometimes.. you get it in eagle brand locally. have you tried panang kalkandu..even that is good.

It is tough only initially but you get used to drinking without sweeteners in the long run..

1 person likes this.