Is this salary enough??

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by shrutidunwoody, Aug 27, 2013.

1. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I have a query...We have been trying to relocate to Uk ...My Hubby have been applying from quite a some time...We are in singapore currently...One of my hubby s colleague in singapore mentioned to him , that Getting a job in Uk is quite tough and even if you are lucky , the salary range for business analyst post is quite low like approx 40 to 45....plus 30 percent tax is there...So i wanted to know what is the approx cost there like rent for a one bedroom apartment,utility, gas, power, phone,internet,grocery...is it sufficient for us to save some amount too...If the dependant spouse wants to work, is it easy to get a job... when we were in usa, i couldnt work as i was on h4 visa, is it the same in uk...Please somebody give me some valuable inputs...

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

In the UK you can work on your husband's work permit...your workplace will process it for you.

As for the cost of living, it depends on where you move to...when you rent a place you will also be paying the council tax...so factor that into your house rent budget. When you look for a house you can opt for Burroughs which have lower local taxes.

3. shrutidunwoody

Thank you so much for your quick reply...My hubby is looking for a job in farnbourough as there was a vaccancy for his position...so i guess it is some 1 hour from london....i m still looking for more inputs regarding the approx cost per month...Please let me know some more details....thanks

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Shruthi,
    I don't know about farnborough...but you can try the gumtree site to find out the going rate. This is the Hampshire page...narrow your search by checking for farnborough. Do find safer areas and such. Don't go by the rates quoted in ads for flats in council estates.
    Gumtree Hampshire | Free Classifieds Ads
    You can also live in woking or other surrounding places and commute. In that case factor in your train fare as well.

5. shrutidunwoody

thank u once again for your reply.ya i will research on the safer areas to live..

6. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Sruthi, I lived in London for a long time before moving to the US.

I'll give you appx costs in greater london (zone5)

1bed flat rent 700
    Council tax 100
    Heating +elec 100 max (in winters)
    Water 40 max
    Groceries 200max (for 2 ppl vegetarian)

£40k is ok for 2 ppl in Farnborough. Once your husband gets 2yrs of uk experience, he can get 60k

7. shrutidunwoody

Thank you Tulipzz for your detailed reply...Your reply has really cleared some of my confusion...I would just like to ask you one question since you have lived in both countries ie london and usa, can you please suggest which one is better country to settle down interms of kids education,lifestlye,cost of living,work life...We are really confused at the moment...Waiting for your response..Thanks in advance..

8. Archana23

Archana23 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shruthi,
    We are moving to farnborough next month.Got useful information from this thread.Thank you.
    Thanks Tulipzz.
    Hope i could give you someinfo about the place if i move there before you.

9. shrutidunwoody

thanks archana...all the best to you...

10. goldenEyr

goldenEyr New IL'ite

Currently,
    Off course yes.