1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who has more right in naming the baby? Parents or Grand Parents?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sowmya2709, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

IMO parents have rights and they can take opinions from all including grandparents. Now a days, kids have very different names. As per a popular magazines, trend is now to choose a name which is unique, meaningful and easy to pronounce and spell.

You can suggest that they can call their grandkid as per their choice. I have many names - given by parents, relatives,friends and ILs. So dont stress yourself.

2. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Same here to Shantana.. My SIL has named her daughter with a trendy name. I asked my DH when ur sis can name as per her wish, why cant we? He said the same, my Parents wont accept since she belongs to another family and our family tradition is to keep the MIL's name if it is a gal and FIL's name if boy thats what the first two sons have done with lots of fight and arguments..

I think in their family "Santhosama name vaika maatanga pola, sandai pottu thaan name vaikranga"..

I said my DH too, if u wanna keep ur parent's name i will change it legally later which will create even more problem.. So, lets name as per our wish.. But still.. :(

3. LavanyaJayabala

LavanyaJayabala New IL'ite

Its truly only the mom has full rights to name her child................

4. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

The problem here is my ILs are coming to my place after delivery for a month(anyways i will be going to India in a week or two after they leave), they are feeling that if my parents are in their son's place why cant they come.. And they have said strictly that the naming ceremony should be done in India only even if i go to India after 3months, since their daughter has to do some rituals for the baby and without her no naming ceremony..

Since, am abroad have to enroll the baby name in Passport. So, that time my ILs will be here with us. This is wat happened in my co-sis case too and they created a big problem and finally with no other choice they ended up naming my MIL's name.. This is why am much worried about.

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

6. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Parents has the rights to name the baby.. I don't understand why grand parents are making such a big fuss over small happiness of new parents while they have had their chance to name their sons and daughters according to their choice. We made it clear when I was pregnant. We told both sets of parents in a subtle way "Suggestions are welcome. But final choice is ours" before they have a chance to suggest names, as there can be a resentment if s we did not select the names they suggested or wanted. This way we made our expectations clear that don't try to snatch our rights. My mom right away opted out saying that"what's the point of suggesting the names if you don't want to choose it"..I said we are making a list and then will choose the best name from it." My MIL suggested some names later which we did not opt. In fact me and hubby decided the name before telling them. We initially had one name .when hubby asked BIL how about the name "xxx" casually , he did not like that name and find 100 reasons to reject that name. We also felt bad. Then we decided on another name and H decided to not to told any one as it influences our decision. So we kept it as a secret. Once the baby was born, he announced the baby's name in the room and it was written in the records right away(we are in US). He called everyone and informed the arrival if our DD along with the name.
    As usual nobody liked the name but they did not say anything, as we already named the baby except complaining that it is hard to pronounce.

1 person likes this.
  7. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

8. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

9. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Nooooooooooooooooo ................ :spin:spin:spin:drowning:drowning

1 person likes this.
  10. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Most probably, their parents insisted, or they let their parents decide their baby's name against their wishes. So now this expectations that their children will allow them to give their grandchildren a name. :)