SAP Security - Career and Life Changing Decision - Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by upfsabari, Aug 29, 2013.

1. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

I'm working in an MNC for the past 6 years. For the first 3 years, I was in Windows Server Administration and then I got SAP Basis training in Pune. I got married and needed a transfer to Bangalore, so I was put into an SAP Security Project.

Now, for the past three years, I'm working in this project. As I wanted general shift, I had only User Administration and Monitoring tasks. Other than this, I haven't done anything. Before 6 months, I got an opportunity to lead a small team (10 members) who are doing monitoring only (L1 monitoring). There won't be much issues as it doesn't involve any risks. So, I don't have any exposure of talking to clients/handling escalations.

I'm getting an opportunity to lead a L2 team (7 members) which involves reporting, handling escalations, talking to clients, co-ordinating with other teams & onsite, shift plan preparations (17*5), etc. which is little stressful. Also, this is basis team.

I'm married and in ttc phase.

Now, my confusion is..

1. With my current technical knowledge, I wont be able to switch company.

2. If I go in this managerial level, I'm little afraid that whether I will be able to handle the team because most of them are technically sound. Also, as it is little stressful, I don't know whether it will affect my pregnancy. Moreover, as this team works in shifts, I have to work in afternoon shift atleast for 3 months so that I can understand in and out of the team.

3. If I maintain the same position, I won't have much stress but I wont be having any growth in career.

Please help me dears.

And sorry for the rant.. :-( :bonk

2. sanvi5

sanvi5 Silver IL'ite

Sabari,

Now since your married and are in the TTC phase I would recommend not to stress much. Think once your pregnant and give birth to a child your work at home will be increased 10 times.

If you think you have much support at home and can manage work and personal life very well go for the new offer.

Even suppose you have support still there are many things which needs your attention so dont stress much go for the less effort one. Career change you can do it later but kids you cannot postpone. Imagine yourself being pregnant and doing shift jobs.Take one at a time.Good luck with your decision.

3. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Thank you sanvi for your reply and concern.

Will update you once I made a decision.