1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I regret my life!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Silentscream, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Silentscream

Silentscream Senior IL'ite

I always wanted to be an independent career woman as well as a good wife and daughter. But due to my orthodox parents I was never allowed to work, and got married right after college. Luckily they let me complete graduation. It has been 4 years since I am married and no job, as I only started looking for job since last year and I was on visa. As soon as I got my green card I started searching for jobs but even a waiter's job needs experience and I dont have it. Even my personal network isn't so strong. I didn't even study further afterwards as my husband wasn't too forthcoming about it, so no money no further education. Not to be mean about housewives but I feel really insecure living as one and completely dependent on husband or parents. I mean I can't trust him blindly. Now I found out I am pregnant and I can't stop crying. I feel like my life isn't my own and will never improve but it will only put me in a rut. I will be even more dependent on my husband. His life will be very little impacted after kid apart from financial responsibilities but my life will only go downhill. The remaining freedom I have will be gone. Even my MIL (whom I hate the most in the world) brags about her other daughter in law earning a lot of money and a high position while making me feel insignificant. Obviously after the baby comes my MIL will grow too insecure and limit my visits to my parents and would want more time and hold over the baby. Not to mention her constant comparing me to her other DILS and her own daughter. After my baby comes she will leave do the same with other grandkids and my child. These things may seem too small to others but it is too much for me. My head will explode it seems. I can't share these things with anyone else. Every one will think I am insane. But I am just not happy about my life:drowning. Please don't judge. I just need some advice and insight. Thank you.

2. chocogal26

chocogal26 Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

I want to ask you something....

1. Don't you love your hubby??
    2. You don't trust him....why??
    3. What u did in 4yrs of your married life ???

You know what....we plan something and God has another plans for us....so trust Him. I can very well understand when u found out pregnant....if you were not mentally prepared for it....how your relation with your dh. Did he provide any help for your job search?? right now....i can only say don't cry.....go with flow.

1 person likes this.
  3. KHaridraK

KHaridraK Silver IL'ite

Hi Silentscream,

Please don't regret ur life....There are many people who have started off late 2 work & still have a successful career after having kid....
    Think positive in everything dear,concentrate well on ur health now as u r pregnant ..........
    Most of the ILS are like yours,so don't worry....She will b talkin just the opposite to ur co-sis that u r better than her....
    Since u have completed ur graduation after ur wedding as u had so much interest 2 learn ,I think that u can also start 2 work after the birth of ur child......
    Prepare yourself to build ur carreer,motivate urself ,u will definitely succeed in ur mission......try 2 grab each & every opportunity available....now its time 2 b strong & be happy Silentscream!!!!!!!!!!

4. Yettobemom

Yettobemom Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

First of all, congrats for your pregnancy. You seem to see the half empty glass instead of half full. Come out of your negative thinking & see the positives in your life. You may think it would be better to have a good career first then go for family, but every person's destiny is different. God has given you this gift dont be unhappy about it. Take good care of yourself, think happy thoughts & care for the baby. After that start your search for jobs, till then you can try for some online or at-home work. Come here often & read the in-laws threads, you will learn how to tackle & ignore your MIL

4 people like this.
  5. JanetWinslet

JanetWinslet Junior IL'ite

congratulations for your pregnancy.the past we cannnot change,but we can struggle for bright future.try to seek every chance,you will find the most suitable life for you.

6. mp1234

mp1234 Gold IL'ite

Silentscream,

I am getting the impression that you were not happy with the marriage to start with.
    Let's see the positives you have.
    I assume you are around mid 20s(Age is with you.).Already pregnant.So many of our IL friends have been trying to get pregnant since some time,still unsuccessful.Please value that blessing.Already Green Card in hand.In US ,you will get endless opportunities.Thank God for the above blessings.

You do not like to be dependent on husband...but you will change that .Nobody can stop you from doing that.
    I cannot trust him blindly...why ? Did he do anything ?
    My life will go downhill ?Only if you allow it to go ,it will take a nosedrive.Lot of ladies go for higher education and then work after pregnancy,so why can't you ?
    Why do you care if your MIL compares you with others ?Does it matter ?

Compare yourself with the less fortunate ones who are in much worse situations...then you will understand the importance of all good things you have been blessed with.

4 people like this.
  7. rangolii

rangolii Bronze IL'ite

Silentscream ,

Its never late to start a career. Try persuading your husband to get you into some short duration courses which can get you a job. Here i know few ladies who were in home initially and did short courses on hospitality and are making good money now . Try finding out market demand there and pursue accordingly. And congrats on your pregnancy dear. Time to keep yourself happy :) Do not worry on anything. Every problem has a solution. God has plans for you.

8. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Dear Silentscream,
    Pl. don't worry. God 'll guide you in the right time and show u new prospects. Right now, feel happy that God blessed you with a wonderful bundle of gift ie. your baby. He/she will bring good luck for you. Things will change. Don't brood over the past. Think about the present and be happy and cheerful as u're carrying. A day will come when your dreams will come true. Don't think that these are simple consoling words.pl. have hope on You and You can achieve anything if only you have the strong will and wish. Never feel demotivated when u hear negative comments from your inlaws.
    God bless u! take care!
    Regards
    Vidyavisu.

1 person likes this.
  9. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi silentscream,

This is the similar story of many women,highly qualified or not, doctors,engineers who get married and come to USA on H4 visa and have to wait till they get the EAD or GC. Much valuable time and energy is lost by the time this happens. You are not alone in this process.

Having said that does not mean that you should not regret about this, but in your given situation, you think what best can be done out of that. You have two major things to deal with at hand :

- Pregnancy
    - Job/Financial independence

Deal with one at a time.

You have 9 months till your baby arrives. Use this time to study and get qualified, however short the course may be. I have friends who have got into software testing by doing a 3 month course and doing mock interviews and getting hired. You need to plan.

OR

Go ahead and enjoy your pregnancy for the time being and postpone the thought of job etc. Build up a good relationship with your husband (even that needs time ), take care of your health and focus on baby.

If you regret and worry, you are nowhere. Be glad that you have someone to talk to like an online forum atleast. Many of the women do not have even that access.

Good luck with your choice.

4 people like this.
  10. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

I can understand your pain... but wanted to narrate this to you

There was this guy who continuously cribbed he din't have footwear and had to walk in hot sun... and another guy comes along and says you are cribbing you don't have footwear and look at me I lost both my legs in an accident and i don't have feet to wear footwear...

Look at the the big picture dear... if your husband is taking good care of you, you should not worry about anything...

Your MIL's comparison and taunts have two reasons... one she doesnt have a heart... two you are letting her do this to you... everytime she taunts you ... your face tells them that you are hurt... this is the success factor for them and will keep doing it over and over again... be absolutely cheerful in front of them... mingle with everybody open heartedly.... cheerfulness is contagious .. no one wants to sulk being with a cheerful person... change your outer personality a bit and you can see the differnce.... stay updated about current affairs and all .. participate in any intelligent discussions around.. listen to others .. contribute... all this will make you feel better.

and take very good care of your lil one... Good luck to you dear...

1 person likes this.