1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Property Issue with FIL / BIL and family

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Laxmi1980, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Laxmi1980

Laxmi1980 Silver IL'ite

My BIL and his family lives with FIL. He has constructed a house for them on a piece of land for which we paid a good amount but is registered in my FIL's name. He is not keeping well and has undergone a major surgery and doctors have said his health condition is not good. Under this circumstance my FIL has made a property Will and has given us a portion of land we deserve but we had to leave a substantial portion of land for them to make internal roads etc. I consulted a property lawyer and he says that as per the will we can never sell off our land and if we wish to do the same, FIL has to give this land to us in the form of gift. But he is not willing to..And BIL and cosis are dead against our suggestion...This land is of no use to me if it has no resale value...I do not wish to construct a house and stay there ever...Neither can I get any loan sanctioned in our name for any kind of construction. Can you pls suggest what best can be done? My BIL/cosis have gone dead against us and they don't allow us to talk to FIL.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Moral of the story-never invest money in joint property .If you do.....don't expect it back. You are lucky you are at least getting part of the land back.

Try talking to your FIL if his health permits and get the clause removed about not being able to sell the land.Try explaining to him that it is unfair to you.Or else tell him to make the other brother buy the land from you at market rate.

Has your brother in law contributed in the purchase of the land ?

If your FIL has been living with BIL and being looked after by them....it is natural that he will look into their well being first.

1 person likes this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

:iagree So many complications arise when you pay the money but someone else gets the name. What happened with OP is very very common and could easily have been anticipated. :bonkBut even with these many cases people just don't learn and keep on committing the same mistakes over and over and over.

1 person likes this.
  4. Laxmi1980

Laxmi1980 Silver IL'ite

My husband contributed before our marriage in purchasing the land....My BIL was not in a position to contribute then....However the land was registered in FIL's name because he had to take loan for constructing the house....A portion of the land was left aside and a house was constructed with structural foundation for three additional floors. The ground floor along with the land underneath has been given to BIL and his family (though they have not paid a penny) and a portion was given to us thru a WILL which says we can never sell the land. The house in in remote area and we will never build a house to stay there. FIL said we can make an additional floor on top of his house if we want but BIL and cosis objected and said a strict NO....This is really disturbing us because in 2001, my husband paid around 7 lakhs and by now the same must around 25-30 lakhs...This is quite a lot of money to be blocked in a piece of land which cannot be sold. BIL and cosis have blamed us for FIL's health deterioration and said we are attacking him on this property issue often.. Whenever we call FIL, cosis answers the call and says he is not willing to talk to us.

BIl and family live with FIL. he is still earning for them. He is independent, rather BIL depends on him for so many things. FIL is taking care of himself .

5. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

Whats your husband's take on this? You are an outside entity to the property that belongs to your husband, FIL and BIL, unless until you invest in it from your own earnings.

Best is you should not disturb your peace of mind over something that you have not contributed in. Let the blood relations sort this issue out

6. Laxmi1980

Laxmi1980 Silver IL'ite

My husband is trying to convince my FIL, to give the piece of land as a gift so that the ownership from my FIL's name changes to my husband's name, but he is not willing to do this because BIL and family will permanently live in that house and so they do not want the land to be sold to any outsider....But then the amount we invested for a better return is completely wasted...They do not want us to construct further and put the same on rent so that we get a return....Constructing on our own land is not possible at the moment .....My husband is also at a loss to understand what is to be done now..

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Write this off as a loss that is worth it. A learning experience. Let husband deal with it. Think of it as a compensation for you guys not being there to physically take care of FIL. Would you honestly like to be in your co-sister's place? Living there and taking care of FIL, even if it meant getting property and house that you haven't paid a penny for?

Even if your BIL is dependent on father, your FIL is having the support of living with family and not alone, and you guys have the peace of mind that he is not living alone. BTW, you are contradicting yourself - you say his health condition is not good and major surgery and also that he is independent and taking care of herself.

7 lakhs given in 2001 - was it with any conditions? If not, there is not much you can do now and living so far away. It can only serve as a lesson to all, including your husband.

Let husband deal with this. You interfering in it will push him towards his family and he will refuse to see the obvious. Focus on other things that are within your control - the LIC policy, the planned new apartment.

5 people like this.
  8. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

There is something unusual about your posts.

Just wondering, how can you decide that the money given by your husband to his father before marrying you is an investment? It could be on various grounds, or even a gift from your husband to his father. In which case even your husband cannot ask it back.

Had it been an investment, would not he have made on his own name? Or is it your interpretation that once 7 lakhs has now turned 25/30 lakhs and you want it back?

1 person likes this.
  9. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

Its always a bad idea to invest in something on your parents name when you have siblings. Money changes people. Siblings may or maynot remain those lovey dovey siblings in future. But somehow DH never see this. Patta thaan butti varum.

Like Rihana said, better leave it for your DH to decide. You keep yourself out of it.