At what age chidren qualify for free schooling in OZ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by ksrisuma, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ksrisuma

ksrisuma New IL'ite

Hi,
    I want to know when do children qualify for free education in Aus.?
    When they turn 4 or 5?
    Sumathy and Coral ,Hope u'll respond .
    Thanks,
    Suma.

2. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Hi Suma
    I am not sure what you mean by free education. However, i will give you info hoping that it answers your queries.
    Children should have turned 5 by Jan the year they are starting school. The cut off is until April of that year. So for ex if your child was born in 2002 anywhere betweeen jan or april, they will be ready for school, in Jan 2007. The Australian schools term runs from Jan to Dec. So if your child was born after April 2002, they would start school only the year after, ie, 2008.
    All state schools charge a nominal annual fee (which is reimbursed back to you on the first year of school), per year and the extras would be excursion and school levy etc. However roughly the cost per month, if you put your child in a state school would be less than $50 per month. The same goes with kidergartens (which is what your son would be starting), if they are community run, they charge very nominal term fees, which would again come to less than $50 a month. Iff you are going private kinder or schools, then it is a whole new story altogether. But my opinion is that they do not need private schools for primary kids, unless both parents are working and cannot spend quality time with their children.

Cheers
    Sumathy

3. ksrisuma

ksrisuma New IL'ite

Thnak u very much sumathy.This is exact information i'm looking for.
    My child was born in March,2005.As you told he'll be eligible for kindergarten.
    Good to know all this valuable info from u.
    Thank u once again.

4. loveshack

loveshack New IL'ite

5. Susmitha Nair

Susmitha Nair New IL'ite

Curious

Hello all,

I am an Indian (Keralite) staying in Kuwait with my husband, and we are planning to migrate to Australia. We have a daughter of 3.5 yrs age. i would like to know about schools in Australia.What syllabus they are teaching? when is the school vacation? how many months children get vacation? I am eagerly waiting to know about all these from those who are staying in Australia. the place we are planning to stay in Australia is Melbourne. so kindly inform me about the schools, timings, syllabus, vacations etc... thanks in advance..

Rgds
    SusmithaComputer Typing

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Re: Curious

G'day Susmitha,

Welcome to the ANZAC forum. This particular thread will clear your doubts regarding schools & education in Oz.

Regards,

Corallux

7. Susmitha Nair

Susmitha Nair New IL'ite

Re: Curious

Dear corallux,
    thanks a lot for the reply.. As you said hope it will clear my doubts..will keep in touch.. rgds, susmitha

8. pmn

pmn New IL'ite

Good Schools in Melbourne

Hi All,

Being relatively new to Melb, I don't have much idea about schools. Can anyone help me out?

My son just turned 2years. I am planning to put him in 3+ kindergarten in 2010. He doesn't qualify for next year since he doesn't complete 3yrs by April 2009.

Information I have:

1. I heard from a few people around that Wesley College is a good private school. Do any of IL members have their kid(s) in Wesley Elsternwick campus? If so, please let me know the pros and cons of this school. This campus is the closest to my apartment in Glen Huntly.

2. Other than Wesley I have also heard about Caulfield Grammar School. I tried searching on the net for reviews on these schools but haven't found anything. :-(

3. The general idea I have is that private schools are better than public schools. Is it?

Queries:
    1. Any site/book where I can find reviews on schools?
    2. How soon should i apply to get my son admitted to 3+kinder in 2010?
    3. Can I apply to multiple schools?
    4. What is the general enrollment process?

I am really confused. :confused2:
    Help!

9. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Sumathy,

I am from South Africa, we are thinking of moving to Melbourne. We also heard of the Free Education. I do not understand what you mean by "All state schools charge a nominal annual fee (which is reimbursed back to you on the first year of school)". Do they give you the money paid back the first day of the next year?

Are there enough transport systems for children to get to school or do we have to buy a car?

10. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Tracey,

Have you decided where to settle down in Melb? Once you do so, it will be easy to contact your local government/private school for more details.

Till then Loveshack has given a site for reference in this thread. It will answer all your questions.

Regards,

Corallux