1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Types of Sarees

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by bkarthika, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Gayathrisundar1

Gayathrisundar1 New IL'ite

Hi,

which type saree is preferred to wear on marriage day?

whether we need to wear certain type of silk saree alone on marriage day?

Regards,
    Gayathri

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. bkarthika

bkarthika Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I added Bangal cotton of Black color with Orange border to my collection....

3. swaathiha

swaathiha Platinum IL'ite

wowwwww nice conversations.....

4. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

Instead of that, you can get different types like crepe, jackquard, netted, powder, cot silk, printed sarees, emrboidery sarees, patli pallu(partly pallu), brasso(half and full).

5. bkarthika

bkarthika Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Thank u all for ur comments...

6. Stars

Stars Junior IL'ite

Hi BKarthika,
    I saw your post only today. By now you may have expanded your collection of saris in the past 2 years. You are a lady after my own heart, as I have been collecting saris from different states for nearly 30 years. It all started with my first visit to a national handloom exhibition that many years ago. Since then I have been fascinated with the weaving of fabrics in different states and the diversity and depth of creativity of the Indian weavers across the country.

To whet your appetite there is a Silk and Crafts exhibition going on at Valluvar Kottam in Chennai till July 14th., 2013. The states represented there are MP, AP, TN, Karnataka, UP, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Assam, Jammu and Kashmir, Orissa, Punjab.

I have or have had most of the weaves which you have mentioned above, either as sari or in salwar kamiz, except for Akola and a few of the Rajasthani ones you mentioned: although I have had Sanganeri and Kota saris. I would also like to add Kerala kasavu and perhaps a Pashmina to my collection this year. I still don't have a Kolhapuri, although I did own the chappals at one time!! :)

To add to your list, here are some more which I have/had: Dabu and Bagh print saris on Madhya Pradesh Chanderi and Maheshwari fabrics, apart from the traditional saris of both fabrics; Narayenpet, Mangalagiri; Assam muga silk sari and raw silk mekhla chador; Assam also has beautiful Pat silk saris; Kashmir silk sari and the Kashmiri embroidered wool kurta; gharchola of Gujarat (bandhini work in squares with zari); Rajkot patola (the more famous double ikat Patan patola is way beyond my budget!); Puneri of Maharashtra (Pune); Pasapalli ikat and Nabakothari ikat sari of Orissa, which also has the imposing Bichitrapuri if it appeals to you; Phulkari of Punjab. Although Tamil Nadu is very famous for the Kanchipuram saris, we must not forget the lovely handlooms of Coimbatore, Madurai (apart from Sungidi), Erode, Salem, Chinnalapatti and Chettinad, which you can add to your collection easily in Chennai.

Apart from these there are still many more weaving traditions which I have not mentioned or do not own.

In Chennai, Handloom House at Rattan Bazaar in Park Town will have saris from many states. I have found Baluchari, Swarnachari (Baluchari in zari work), Orissa, West Bengal and Rajasthan saris in Central Cottage Industries Emporium at Temple Tower on Anna Salai in Nandanam. Baluchari and Swarnachari saris include scenes either from the Ramayana or the Mahabharata. Mrignayanee (MP state emporium) on Luz Church Rd. in Mylapore stocks Chanderi and Maheshwari saris and salwar kamiz sets and has annual sales with good discounts. Rangachari Cloths Store is on the same street and may have some handlooms of other states (like AP). Nalli and Kumaran stores may also stock them, as may other silk stores in Mambalam. Lovely Lucknow chikan can be bought year round at Rohit Chikan Palace in Prince Plaza on Pantheon Rd. in Egmore.

I have bought Paithani and Orissa saris online from the following two ladies who deal directly with weavers. The quality of the saris has been great so far:

Paithani from Rashmi Tapadia of Touch of Class Paithani Touch of Class Paithani Sarees | Legacy of Paithani | Paithani History

She has recently begun to sell Madhya Pradesh Chanderi saris also.

Orissa saris from Seema of Orissa Handlooms Odisha Handloom - the ultimate destination for

Happy hunting, or rather shopping, for your collection. It's lovely to have company in my crazy cross-country adventure to own a bit of our treasured traditions.

Stars

2 people like this.
  7. bkarthika

bkarthika Bronze IL'ite

Hi Stars,
    Thank you very much for your information. 30 years amazing!!!. After my last post in this, I added silk cotton to my collection. I have to start again.I didnt get time and opportunity to buy. Since u have given some reference to buy Paithani and Orissa saris online i will try that first. Can u tell me whats the minimum price of these sarees.

Thanks!!!

With Regards,
    bkarthika

8. Stars

Stars Junior IL'ite

Hi Karthika,
    You are most welcome. As per Touch of Class Paithani website the traditional basic silk Paithani is about Rs. 5100. The Orissa silk saris on the Orissa Handlooms website start at above Rs. 5000. Their Orissa cotton saris are around Rs. 2000. The price of both silk and cotton have gone up a lot in the past few years. You can also check with Handloom House or Central Cottage Industries Emporium in Chennai for both these types of saris.

Stars

1 person likes this.
  9. banerjeenita5

banerjeenita5 Bronze IL'ite

10. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

Wow what an amazing project. I didn't know we had that many type of sarees. I couldn't open the link given on post 2. I wish someone would post picture of saree of these different kind and explain what the difference are between the sarees.