1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents want me to get married - what is the right age for marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sulochana9999, Dec 17, 2008.

1. preethitc

preethitc Bronze IL'ite

hi frndzzz,
    I am Preethi and am new to Indusladies forum..
    Now am also in same situation for marriage. am 24 now.. my parents want to start searching groom for me.. so for me this is the perfect age especially for girls.. bcoz once u cross 26, ur mind vl get depressed about the next half life. so physically and biologically girls should get married before 26.

2. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

I can share one example. This girl postponed every time saying this is not right age/she has to complete this assignment/have to take care of new house/ etc etc etc. now she is late 30s and no hope despite she is desperate to get married. take your time to decide but dont be sooo late. if you say 28 then get married at 28, for which you might need to search the alliance at least when you are 26! you are the best judge.

3. crazyqueen

crazyqueen Silver IL'ite

25 is already late... U'll never know when u'll get a good guy.... Even if ur parents start now.. it may take another 1 or 2 years... My case was.. My parents started looking for alliance @23 and the marriage happened at 26...

4. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for raking up this ancient thread!:)

Sharing my thoughts on this topic:

I think it depends on the person and what they want out of life.

I love the traditional romantic concept of marrying young and growing old together, but it may not be practical for many modern women.

I feel it's more important for a woman not to marry for all the wrong reasons - such as desperately wanting children or the fear of being left on the shelf or because of societal and familial pressures.
    Desperation and insecurity are not conducive to happiness.

There's a quote by someone famous, the gist of it being, we meet the right person at the wrong time and the wrong person at the right time and this is what keeps divorce lawyers in business.

What's the point of rushing into marriage to make everyone happy and then finding out that the man has no moral compass. I would rather be happily single than be unhappily married.

In my opinion it's best to wait- the right one is definitely worth waiting for.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the idea of delayed gratification a lot.

5. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Preethi,

IMO, you are at the right age to get married. you can enjoy your first 2 yrs of married life, and plan and have 1/2 kids before you are 30 and you would be settled at home and be out of all issues about managgin work and home by then.. if you postpone, your career growth and planning for a family would all come together and it would be very tough to cope up with.

Hence my advice is to go with your parents.

All the Best! :thumbsup

6. Hyral

Hyral Gold IL'ite

In today's world age doesnt matter any more now for getting marry. i started looking for guys at age of 26 and I found my DH on shaadi.com when I and he both were 27 years old.
    It all depends...on gal and boy mentally prepared to get marry...also...as u said ur parents have started looking for grooms...its not just with a blink of eye to choose groom...it will certainly take time...so u and ur parents can have talk and decide...explain them that unless and until they and u mutually like the same guy you wont like to take up marriage which whom soever come across...

All the best with search

7. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

25 is not a bad age for a girl to get married. anywhere after 23 is the right age, I feel :)

8. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well its time to start looking.......... Ideal age is around the corner.........

And chillax girl........... You can always refuse if you dont like.........
    Upto you...... Cause its your life.......

But if you do go through with it and find the right mate then Q tips for you both......... He he he..........

[​IMG]

always remember you are a princess and the guys are coming to you for swaymvar.......

Pick and choose.............

All the best............

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    2 people like this.
  9. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

In an ideal world age should not matter but we are far from ideal and that too in arranged marriages age does matter...actually it is not just for girl but also for a boy...

So I would say yes as you get older you will not have many good alliances to choose from.....how I know this is because I have seen many of my cousins go through this...

I got married when I was 23...not because of pressure from society....but because I found the right guy..but had baby only 9 years after that..because we wanted to enjoy our time wanted to do higher studies etc...

Long story short....don't say no for marriage..keep looking but say yes for the right guy...take time ...talk to him ...see if you are compatible...settle down.

Say yes to search but don't hurry to settle down until you are sure.

1 person likes this.
  10. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

really depends.
    if u r looking for an arranged match, then no harm in keeping ur ears and eyes open to various appropriate proposals. and when u do meet someone who meets ur expectations, u cud take ur time getting to know him before tying the knot...which cud be only when u r ready.

if u are in love, then speak to ur partner and decide when both of u are ready for marriage.

got married at 23. engaged at 22. not because I was 'forced' or anything, but because 'it just happened'! :)