1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone needs Dental advice - Please post ur problems

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by hema_gladston, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

The problem can be treated by two ways.. One is correcting the bite and then replacing the missing teeth by artificial crowns..
    Second is by extracting the tilted tooth and then replacing it again with crowns or implants.

So, yes, if you have consulted an Orthodontist and it was him / her who suggested the braces for you then please go ahead with the treatment. But do visit a Prosthodontist about the replacement of teeth before you go for a braces' treatment. Just so that you know the teeth needs to be replaced even after the braces treatment else, the teeth will tilt back again.

Take care.

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Amrita,

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about the breath while you wearing your braces. I know, its pretty difficult. You can use warm salt water to gargle as well every two hours. Try this for a week and see wether it helps. It did to one of my patients. Else, what you doing right now should atleast help in maintaining the hygiene if not odour.
    Take care

3. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Chetavani,
    It could be because of two reasons, either the enamel is worn out or a decay. Please visit a dentist and get it checked. Don't leave it like that, it could worsen and you may land in severe pain eventually and root canal or more.

Take care

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Sandhya,

The periodontal treatment could take atleast 15 days for completion. Then corrective treatment by an orthodontist could take months depending on what is required to be done.

Neither of them can be discontinued in between and continued elsewhere. However, if your orthodontist does consult both in India and UAE then, yes the treatment can be continued.

The cost depends on the Dentist.. It can be a few thousands for the periodontal and orthodontic treatments.

5. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Depends on what the problem is.. And what you mean by natural products..

6. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Hi Preethi,

Need you suggestion dear.

For past 4-5 days am having pain/sensitivity in inner end of lower jaw.A place supposed to be for Wisdom tooth.Two years back when i visited a dentist she got x-ray and told me that wisdom tooth is unable to come out as the teeth are very crowded and it is just below jaw/gum whatever.She said it is not urgent but you can get it removed.I left it at that.Now after this pain i visited dentist(another city another dentist).She got x ray and said the pain is becoz of wisdom tooth.You need to get it operated and removed so i took appointment of surgeon for next day.But had some urgent office work so informed them i cannot come and postponed it for third day.

Here is the twist...I am feeling better after two days.Right from the begining i was not sure if it is wisdom tooth or mouth ulcer.The pain was kind of mouth ulcer i mean if something touches there it would pain/tingling......hope you got it what i want to say:)......But the point is i feel better now.It is still there but i can eat/chew gargle with very little tingling sensation. I am supposed to go for surgery today and called them yesterday evening and cancelled the appt as i am better.Dentist explanined me post operative care and frankly i was scared.I mean if it would have been pain of wisdom tooth how would it subside without any medicine.

I dont want to touch it ............why disturb sleeping monster.It is sitting silent let it be.If it disturbs i will then think of it.

Can you please tell me could it be really pain of wisdom tooth or mouth ulcer.I cannot see it as it is deep inside and my jaw line is too small.

IMP: The dentist i visited is a reputed chain in INDIA, but somehow i have a feeling that they try to extract more money. I went there for scaling couple of times and evrytime they have something or other to do in addition to scaling like filling etc.I might be wrong............but many times it happens you know..........

Please help..........

Priti

7. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

Hi..

My wisdom tooth is coming out at an angle... I've booked an appointment with the dentist for an extraction coming saturday.. Later when I was talking to my hubby, I happened to mention that I would be starting my periods in a few days and he said then you can't have a tooth extraction then.. Something about hormonal imbalance something something.. Is this true?

Also, will this hurt? I am very afraid of the pain.. My dentist showed me a video of the procedure and it shows that a huge chunk of the gums will also be removed.. I'm kind of freaking out right now.. Any words of advice to calm my nerves, please?

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Priti,

You reminded me of a professor in college whose words of wisdom was this ' no matter how much you think your doing a favour/ justice to your patients by being honest with them about their oral problems, you will appear a person who is greedy '
    :) Don't worry most of the patients feel that way..and you are no exceptional.

The difference here between a dentist and a general practitioner is this, the latter doesn't get to see more than a clinical finding when you present a problem..which unfortunately for us dentists is the other way. When you go in with a fever let us say, the first thing would be to check the temperature and then the vital signs. Next a physical exam and the patient is prescribed medicines to wait it out. If the fever doesn't subside only then will the next line of treatment start.
    In Dentistry, when you go in for scaling or a simple check up.. The dentist gets to see more than what you complain about at just one glance. Holding onto the mouth mirror and probe is the first thing we are taught in dental school. We look through the mirror and probe the area. Even if you talk about just scaling, we get to see the decay in your mouth, the condition of your gums and teeth in general and the amount of tartar in your mouth at just one sweepy glance. We immediately blurt out all that we see inside the mouth to the patient. While we see a decay, we don't say, ok there is a decay in your mouth ( which is bacteria eating up the tooth structure BTW) but since you don't know about it, let's leave it at that and you can come back when its about to pain to death.. :))
    Somehow that's not how dental school / practice works. We say it as seen. We tell the patients what can be done or needn't be done..and leave it to the patients to take a call. There are many who don't bother about the issues and want to wait it out. The rest come back when the problem worsens and then expect us to save the tooth or treat them the way it could've the first time the issue was recognised. We have our limitations and cannot create miracles at all times. So, if we accept our a helplessness that moment, the patient feels we are'nt good Dentists in the first place. So either ways we are bambooed ! :)

I wrote this, just so you understand the nature of treatment plan in dentistry before feeling the dentists was being greedy. Trust me, a reputed dentist will only want to save his patient database and not concentrate on money. They simply want a loyal patient- doctor relationship than the income tax go up. So dont think otherwise a lot. Trust your dentist or atleast go to one you do..

Next, your wisdom tooth problem.. Its like this Priti.. Our body has its own defensive mechanism which overcomes the infection while subsiding to it as well. Just like how we get a fever which hints us that an underlying trouble is present. But we don't really have a common flu forever do we ? Any flu symptoms will subside on its own in time because of our defense cells.. That is how we are protected
    forever. Similarly, the wisdom tooth pain coulve subsided by our body's defense too. Hence you don't feel the pain after 2 days. Yes, it's your choice to get them removed or not.

How to diffrenciate between an ulcer and a wisdom tooth pain.. A simple xray and understanding that ulcer can be caused by tooth problem as well.
    You can ask your dentist to show you the impacted ( the wisdom tooth that fails to come outside to the oral cavity.) in the xray.

You said two years back you first checked this tooth and it did trouble you after that just few days back. So I am not surprised about it subsiding in just two days.

Does that mean everything is ok inside ??
    No. The tooth which is supposed to actually erupt will cause trouble from inside. It will cause a gap that facilitate food to get in which let's bacteria grow on it and after a point the bacteria eats up the bone. This is the sequence of events that will happen.

So while right now you have a choice about what you want to do..the next time around I an not sure whether the tooth will just start with pain or go to swelling straight away. You can leave the monster sleeping for now, but wether it will wake up and trouble you to the maximum you can imagine is for us to see.

My advice, get it removed while there is no secondary infection and pain. Because, the anesthesia fails to work its fullest amidst infection and that's not going to be easy on you.

Take care and best luck.

9. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Minara,

To calm your nerves, your Dentist will surely anesthetize you. So, do not worry about the video showed. That wasn't meant to scare you, it was to educate you.

Next, there is no relation between periods and tooth extraction. Hormonal imbalance has nothing to do with recovery or procedure of oral surgery. The only thing would be the discomfort. After extraction, you need to be on semi solid diet and can't chew hard for a week. So, not being able to eat well during your periods while you already in pain could be a lot difficult. Also, if you are going to have cramps and backaches then that's again another painful thing..

So, basically it's about the discomfort and nothing more.

Don't worry.. You have a choice though, wait for your periods to get over and then make an appointment. But, please get then removed asap.

Take care.

1 person likes this.
  10. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for clarifying that.. And yes, I'll remove it soon.. I've been having pain on a on and off basis for almost 6 months now.. I'll also be getting a couple of cavities filled at the same time.. Dentist pointed them out when I went to show my wisdom tooth.. He said might as well deal with it before it becomes painful and I'm all for it..!

1 person likes this.