1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Curtains/drapes for new home

Discussion in 'Indians in Georgia' started by Sasuli, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Sasuli

Sasuli New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I want to buy drapes/curtains for my new home in cumming. Can you throw some suggestions on the places from where I can buy them. We have high ceiling living room so have big windows that needs to be covered with curtain..don't know how to measure such height..also if possible.,where do you buy curtain hardware and get them installed? Also ..confused...should put only curtains or blinds and curtains both...what do you think...

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sasuli,

Congrats on the new House. I'd be interested to know where are you moving in Cumming. I'll pm you. I live in Cumming too.

For Curtains, Most of the windows come in standard sizes , so you'll have to measure the window and find curtains about 2 inches more than the window length. That way your window will be covered completely.

Whether to do blinds or curtains ? -> This decision is totally upto you. depending on where the windows are placed, you can even leave it open with no blinds or curtains. you'll have good light in the room.

I'd recommend that you visit Bed bath beyond / JCP for basic idea of what patterns are available for curtains.
    There are different styles too - The one with big round opening for drapes or drapes with holding pins , or double layered drapes (which has 2 rods running parrallely).

You can also check Ikea if you have time.

If you know to stitch then you can try getting cloth from Walmart / Joanne and doing it on your own .

Hardware is available in the same shops mentioned above or you can also buy it from Home depot / lowes.
    You can just use a basic Drill and screw them in. Or use a handy man to get it done. Its not a big deal at all. its very very easy.

3. nive80

nive80 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sasuli,

Congrats on the new home!!!
    We have high ceilings too..... i did it professionally. From the rods , everything was customized. The high windows normally don't have blinds , that was what happened when we installed the blinds. All other windows have blinds. I have drapes everywhere , even over my blinds.
    I got my drapes from India after taking measurements from here.
    Good Luck!!!!

4. Sasuli

Sasuli New IL'ite

Thanks Nive80. Great! I have heard lot of people prefer to buy curtains from India. We have no plans to visit this year..hence will have to get them done here. How did you get the curtain rods fixed? How much do they charge for it. any idea.

5. Sasuli

Sasuli New IL'ite

Thanks Ranchu. I tried JC penny and Bed bath and beyond. BBB has good quality. Joann fab has wide range but don't know how to get them stitched.Still looking for some more options. We are moving to James Creek area in cumming. Hope to meet you there.

1 person likes this.
  6. nive80

nive80 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sasuli,

Sorry about the late reply. My rod measurements , installation , everything was done professionally. It varies based on the windows. I have high ceilings , so they cost me more.
    Let me know if you need anything more !!