Shifting to Sydney, checklist of things to bring from India

Discussion in 'Indians in Sydney' started by manasa_gs, Jun 23, 2013.

1. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    We have got a PR, and will be shifting to Sydney, my husband is initially travelling to Sydney, can someone let me the important things that we need to take from here. I have never travelled before and have no idea . It would be great if you have some checklist.

Thanks in advance

2. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

not even a single reply.. :(

3. Padmasudha

Padmasudha Bronze IL'ite

Not sure what kind of information you are asking for.
    Everything required to set up a home can be bought locally. Sydney also has a large indian presence now, and almost everything is available.
    So, it is really upto you as you to what you wish to bring, and what you would rather buy here.
    At the minimum, you may consider just bringing
    - kitchen basics like pressure cooker, mixie, some utensils (NOT crockery, glassware- these can be bought here)
    - personal things like clothing (again, just basics- you will want to buy weather and fashion appropriate stuff when you get here)

If you ask a specific question, I can answer.

4. lara207

lara207 New IL'ite

Hi manasa_gs,

As padmasudha said,everything is available here & can find lot of Indian friends.From my perspective,try to bring clothes especially winter wear & kitchen basics(refer padma's reply) & if you would like to bring some home made stuff (like masala powders),try not more than a kg in properly sealed bags & u need to explain the ingredients here in immigration check & declare the same

Look forward to provide more info if u have a specific question:)

5. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Hi Manasa,
    I have been thru this ust a two weeks before. We moved to sydney too on a PR and hencei had loads of queries while packing. What the abv responded freiends said is true. There is nthg u cant get here and its much better u buy stuff for kitchen from here itself. Clothes u may buy some there like branded jeans but rest all from spoon to ultra modetn cooking stuff is available here in sydney. There is absolutely nthg that u cannot get here. But if u start comparing the prices in rupees n dollars, i mean u see something in a dollar here, but convert it , it comes to a 54/- INR somthing , u can not buy anything. When u earn in doallrs, spend in dollars, dont try t convert to rupees. It hurts :) :)dont mind but i hv faced this so telling u in advance so u may not hv to face this.

Its cold here right now, cold as in COLD :) try getting some thermals. Whaetever masala powders n pickes u get, u need to declare and get them here. To avoid the hassle , since we are travellinb abroad for the firt time ever, we totally avoided getting any pickes and powders. I bought onl one pressure cooker. thats all and remaining stuf was shoes, clothes etc. We get priya pickes here in Coles. Wherever u go, u fnd coles. so chill !! pack ur clothes, winter wear and board the flight :)

6. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Thanks so much Padmasudha, Lara and Shalu. Well,the problem is my husband travelling alone , so i have to send some mix , powders and pickles, for him, so that h3e can just manage with some basic cooking.

I have one important question, do you have gas connection or is it induction based, as i need to buy utensils according to that...please let me know..can you use the normal utensils that u have it here itself...

7. sbonigala

There is both induction and gas available here, depends on the house you get into. Presently we are with a friend,his house has gas stove, but the house we saw has induction cook top. I heard gas can be bought too, not sure though.

8. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Yeah fine.. thanks a lot yaar.. :)

9. sbonigala

Thats absolutely okayy.. :) i can fully understand ur doubts and uestins, for i hv been thru this :) feel free to ask

10. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

Hi manasa

Hope everything is fine at your end . If you have any queries feel free to ask me ... ask away dear ...