Funny: Most Difficult Recipe you ever encountered ??

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sweetshreya, May 23, 2013.

1. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

What a nice thread...From my side, fish curry and curry made with mustard paste never comes out that good. Dh is so fond of it. But after seeing my efforts, its he who make them now. NExt items which I dread to make are cake and rasgulla. Sometimes they come out good but most of the time , they are total disaster.

I made a simple sponge cake for Dh's b'day few yeras back. it was a hard lump. :(

One more instance. Once i tried making rasgulla for guests coming for lunch. When i opened the lid, all I could see was flattened balls in sugar syrup. Dh and BIl were laughing holding their tummy.

I gave up after that episode.

Will try these two when I get enough courage.

1 person likes this.
  2. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Keep trying with relaxed mind.. don't pressurize yourself to succeed.

Cooking is a stress-buster, do not make it a stress inducerChillout!

1 person likes this.
  3. killerontheplat

killerontheplat Senior IL'ite

2-months Post marriage, I tried the traditional marwari daal-baati recipe for the first time for DH's birthday.. and was it disastrous?

The daal turned out to be good, but the Baatis (dough balls roasted in tandoor and fried in ghee) were rock hard. So much so that I couldn't even break it in mortar pestle :spin.

However, I learnt my lesson (microwave and oven are not same and interchangeable. Yes I did that)

Then another time frozen bhindi became bhindi paste. (Lesson learnt- never buy frozen lady finger again).:bonk

1 person likes this.
  4. killerontheplat

Also I love trying new recipes. Tried making Khandavi after seeing recipe on a website. But due to the cold climate here, n a very runny paste my khandavis dint dry even after 24 hours and went into the dust bin

1 person likes this.
  5. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

:lol: These were good :lol:
    By the way, that frozen bhindi, it has to be fried for a loooonnng time to eliminate the moisture from ice. But then it becomes nice. Give it a try once again, girl. Don't give up :)

6. AS86

AS86 Silver IL'ite

Love this thread. I am considered to be a very good cook in my family and friend circles. I mastered the sponge cake during my 8th class summer vacations, when I was 12. Also, I LOVE to cook.

However, the first time I cooked for my husband (then fiance), I made a simple dish like aalu gobhi, and somehow loaded it with red chilli powder and garam masala. Poor hubby ate it without complaining. Later said, "I am not used to very spicy food. The food you cooked was amazing, just a little too spicy." Now, I am extra cautious while adding spices while cooking. :p

The other most difficult recipe was besan ka halwa. It has to be roasted just right to get a lovely golden color. Mine was a dark brown lump. I don't think I'm ever making that again.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi girls, lovely hilarious thread..

Yesterday I was reading all the pages here and was wondering what was my most dificult recipe, I couldn't come up with one (silly me, I thought I could make everything ..)

And here today I realised!!! I did the most difficult recipe today.. It came out good but I never want to do it Again..

It's sweet and sour mock chicken - authentic Chinese style. .. I gathered ingredients and that itself made my Dh go In between on a short errand to the shop to buy pineapple.. (The one I had in the fridge became soggy) later I discovered the chilli sauce was a bit less.. Then mixed it with water and managed..

Finally after 1 hour of frying the tiny pieces, and a half an hour of preparing the sauce, and mixing both and thank god... I got the taste I wanted.. But there I stood all sweating and smelling like soya sauce.. And the kitchen was a whole big mess!!! I totally lost the mood of eating the delicious lunch I had done..

It took me another 40 min to clean the kitchen and wash up the vessels and return to normal.. That's when I decided not to cook this wonderful dish at home anymore.. It's easier eating in a restaurant..

What a lesson learnt! Just yesterday I thought I have no dish which I can is most difficult for me .. Sigh:(

2 people like this.
  8. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I am considered a good cook by family & friends . There are few things I have never tried mainly due to lack of ingredients or no interest from family members. I have never made sarsoon ka saag, gujiya that are made during holi, gette ki sabji and khandvi .

1 person likes this.
  9. killerontheplat

Hi Shreya, thanks for the encouragement. By now I have found farmer’s markets here that sell Okra all-year-round. So I use the fresh one to have my fill J

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

:Nice thread. I love sweets a lot, but wheat halwa is grrrrrr:hide:i wanted to try but never have guts to do it.
    Even instant idiyappam the kitchen ll become mess for me...but i do it often bcoz dh loves it.

1 person likes this.