1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to loose weight with PCOS

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shinara, May 24, 2013.

1. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

Was just reading the last few pages of this thread today and came across an unanswered post directed towards married women with pcos... So I thought I'd pitch in and tell you how things worked out on my side.. I've been married for about a yr and a half now.. pcos, my dear private best friend has been with me since I was 16.. or at least i only found out about it then.. no kids yet, but i've been having other problems too, so pregnancy was not even considered until just about these past few months..

1- not being able to conceive doesn't happen too often these days.. and with the advancement of the medical field, ovulation inducing medicine and all sorts of other medicines are available.. and IVF too.. so dont worry about it.. think positively always..

telling your would-be, i would say not to.. i only told my DH a few days after our marriage and he took it pretty lightly (not necessarily the case for all) maybe because he's a doctor and he comes across many more worse problems.. A hormonal issue didn't worry him much.. but since then he'd been monitoring my medication... currently taking only metformin and concentrating on my weight loss.. (i used to be in the normal bmi range before marriage.. then i gained a lot of weight when i took steroids and was on complete bed rest when i suffered from i disc prolapse..)

2- excessive hair in all unnecessary places such as face, upper arm, thighs, stomach, chest, back.. hirsutism.. i dont usually bother about it.. i just go to the parlour and wax my arms and legs, if necessary.. some parlours will wax even your stomach and back, i've personally never done it, so i don't know how painful it would be.. facial hair, i remove also by waxing, but i recently read waxing causes early wrinkling, so switching to threading from next time onward.... though i am guilty of using veet wax sheets since it's just simply convenient..
    doctor said she could give me birth control pills to help me with the hair problem, but that include estrogen (which we have plenty of, thanks to pcos) so it's not advisable for us..
    i've tried the permanent hair removal laser treatment, a 6 months pretty expensive course, that is advisable for lighter skinned people.... my opinion: waste of money... supposedly doesn't work for us because of our hormones.. but i did notice that the thickness/coarseness of the hair has reduced and it's softer, less darker hair now.. and my upper lip hair is light enough (colour-wise and thickness-wise) to blend into my skin and appear pretty invisible.. so i'm happy about that..

how your DH will be towards your pcos when he finds out after the marriage can be assessed by just putting up a condition about something else that you feel strongly towards before your marriage itself.. if he agrees to it easily, he wouldnt mind the pcos, i guess.. it could be anything from dressing sense or education or work.. this is just a suggestion!!

2 people like this.
  2. shinara

shinara Platinum IL'ite

minara thanks for posting your suggestion here..... and u have reduced 9kgs with pcos. thats really inspiring...

3. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

yes, and i feel so much better after having reduced this much over the past 3 to 4 months.. still a long journey to go, though.. i currently weight 84 kgs.. i want to reduce 15 to 20 kgs more before thinking about conceiving and the related treatments..

someone on this forum posted somewhere that you have to make changes in your life that you intend to stick to for the rest of your life and that's what i do.. it has helped in keeping a positive attitude where my weight loss is concerned.. weight loss will happen at a slower rate though.. but it has helped me to not gain, but lose weight even when i went for a cousin's wedding..

i dont completely avoid chocolates or sweets.. nor do i avoid rice or bananas or mangoes or anything.. i have them all but in limited quantities so that when i get to a point when they're laid out in front of me, i eat just enough and not lose control and then be confident that i can work it out of my system..

also, keep tabs on what you eat.. use myfitnesspal.com to track your food.. i only use it for the foods and not the exercise part.. it helps us compare and choose healthier choices when snacking..

today's diet:
    breakfast- a glass of milk and 1 medium sized banana..
    lunch- 2 parotas with gravy (yes, i know it's bad, but i couldn't help it..)
    tea- 1 mug sweetened ginger tea
    dinner- banana and brown puttu (without coconut)
    snack - 2 uncle toby yoghurt tops bars.. 1 for mid morning snack and 1 for post lunch sweet..

bad diet as of today, but i'm not going to punish myself for this since i'd just returned from a long journey and down with a pretty bad cold..

no exercise either..

will get back to schedule tomorrow..

4 people like this.
  4. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

Hi

Any body has an idea abt taking calcium supplements tablet for pcos? If so ll it be helpful for ttc? Please pour ur ideas on this.

5. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

My updates for 5/23

Wt: 58.5kgs

Since weekend so woke very late
    11.00am coffee
    Lunch: brown rice, spinach sambar, brinjal bhaji
    Snacks: Hibiscus tea, goji berries, pistas
    Dinner: veggie bowl & 1/2 cup probiotics

Water: 1lts

6. RajiKarthick

RajiKarthick Senior IL'ite

Hi dears was pretty busy yesterday with household works..vaccuming..laundry and what not...:spin
    Diet was same as always and did exercise as well for 45 mins
    So today's diet-06/24-
    9:30 am-Cinnamon
    10:30 am-Milk without sugar+grapes
    2:30 pm-1 ada dosai+1 cup bisibelabath with daliya+mango chutney+cabbage,carrot and peas poriyal
    6:30pm-grapes
    8:05 pm-treadmill 45 mins
    10:00 pm-Oats porridge with water

Regards,
    Rajii

1 person likes this.
  7. Srinidhi007

Srinidhi007 Silver IL'ite

Dear All – My updates for today,
    Early morning – Pooja (4.30 to 5.15am)
    Brisk Walk – 55mts
    6.45am – dry fruits and horlics
    8.15am – 2 chappati and 2 dosa with bitter guard gravy

Since I am on leave, will do cleaning works at home, yesterday also was the same routine…
    Take care bye!

8. Srinidhi007

Srinidhi007 Silver IL'ite

Dear Minara - can you share your exercise routine as well? and impressed to know that you have lost 9kgs in 3\4 months. even i have reduced 8kgs, but it takes more than a year for me! :-(

9. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

40 minutes in the morning and if i'm free, 40 minutes in the evening too..

i do is a 30 minute walking workout and a 10 minute workout for the core, since those of us with pcos should try to reduce tummy fat as much as possible.. or i just replace it by lining up some of my favourite fast music songs and dance to it whenever i don't feel like working out or feel bored with it...

the walking workout is easy enough to follow during the periods too... i avoid the 10 minute workout then..

links:
    30 minute walk: Ellen 30 min Walk - YouTube
    10 minute: 10 min Booty Shaking Waist Workout- Lose inches off your waist by shaking your hips! - YouTube

also, i'm currently on a very low calorie diet as adviced by the doctor, with added supplements and stuff.. have to go see him every 2 months so that he can track my progress.. he actually told me to exercise about 2 to 5 hours daily but i just don't have that much stamina yet!

oh, and i don't do too much difficult exercises because of my recent disc prolapse.. LS walks gives me pain too..

1 person likes this.
  10. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

My updates for 5/24

Wt: 58.1kgs

Morning: hibiscus tea
    bf: banana & nuts(3badam &5raisins & 2 dates)
    Brunch: brown rice, rasam, chutney, moorungakeerai fried
    Snacks:3 chapathi with keerai sambhar
    Snacks2: 2 biscuits ( with a guest i had it) & tea
    Dinner: fruit bowl

Water: 2lts