147 mg/dl value in Glucose challenge test. What are the risks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by swathik22, Jun 18, 2013.

1. swathik22

swathik22 Junior IL'ite

Hi friends..

It has been long time that i logged in. I was taking care of me and my angel in my tummy as much as I can. this is my 19th week. I had Glucose challenge test done and my level is 147. Actually it shud be within 70-140.

Now this got me worried. I dont know what to do now. My doctor's apppontment is next weekend. Before I go to her, I want to ask you people to advise me out of your experiences ..what are the risks? What can i do to avoid it? Am so sad now that my baby may face some prblems . I know that am sounding pathetic but thats how am feeling right now. :drowning please help me pls pls

2. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

hi swathi! i am another mom to be who is suffering from gestational diabetes.
    but you are lucky enough that you have already crossed your first trimester.

first of all, relax. dont stress much as stress can hike your sugar levels.

know one thing, gestational diabetes or GD is not same as diabetes, it is temporary if you will be able to keep your sugar levels in control.

it has no side effects on the baby till is not diagnosed during early pregnancy. so dont stress abut it.

but if you are are not able to control your sugar levels then might some problem occur for you and your LO both. these include, big baby ( baby measuring more than 4 kgs), diabetes after pregnancy in you and chances of your baby having diabetes, ( these are the side effects i know).

your doctor will prescribe insulin or diabetic medication, and you will have to cut down your sugar for the rest of the pregnancy.

tips to keep your sugar level under control:
    - eat small but frequent diet
    - avoid fruit juices rather have whole fruits, but avoid having sugary fruits e.g. dates and banana.
    - walk for 10-15 mins after every meal
    - please dont STRESS
    - take your medication on time and dont forget any dose.
    - no refined sugar and stuffs such as refined flour (maida), potato, white rice.

i will lastly say one more thing, you have not crossed your levels with big amounts so be sure that your sugar levels will fall in the normal range quickly and easily.. at least i was diagnosed with GD right from the very begining and have no problems till yet , thanks to god.. and my levels were higher than yours ;-)

dont stress, eat well and walk, and you and your baby will be finely, inshallah!!

PS: sorry for this long post.....

all the best

1 person likes this.
  3. swathik22

swathik22 Junior IL'ite

Oh 6teenpearls!!! You dont know what a relief ur reply is for me.. I was so tensed and so worried. I could not share it with my parents or inlaws and my DH doesn't think it is a big problem. So I really didnt have any one to share this with. Dont say its a long post. It was a much needed post for me... Thanks a lot for that first of all. Good to know that there are similar moms like me.. its a big boost on the morality you know.

I was too stressed for the first two days. Later I came to know that stress increases sugar levels and now am trying to accept the fact that am diabetic :(. You are really courageous dear to face this situation right from first trimester. Dont worry.. You have only few more weeks to go and you will sail through this wonderfully and without any problems :) I wish you good luck and all the best.

As to the changes, Yes..i stopped taking sugary items and rice. I am sticking on to rotis from yesterday. And also a big NO to all starchy food items. But I have few doubts..Hope you can help me on those..

1. I daily eat a bowl full of watermelon and one pomegranate(small one). Can I continue eating those? They will not increase my sugar levels right? Because these are the ones on which am surviving. I dont know what to eat if not these :(

2. Can I drink juice of boiled beetroot daily or two days once? I have low haemoglobin and was drinking this to improve it. I dont add any sugar to it. just boil,blend and drink

3. I had this GCT test immediately after breakfast. Around 30 mins after breakfast. Would that have any effect on my high values? I had 4 dosas and a glass of milk with sugar. Also, I ate lot of rice with so much potato curry the day before the test. Would it cause any change in the levels?

If you know anything about these, do let me know pls... Thanks again for your reply :)

4. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

hey i too felt exactly your way, stunned, surprised and scare all at the same place, was worried till had my 16 weeks dawn syndrome test and 24 weeks 3D scan, when all turned up good and pink for me, i realised its not that big deal which i thot..

i too had only and only frutis for whole of my first trimester, as i had sever nausea, but thanks to god had no issues with the sugar levels.

for the beetroot, i dont have much knowledge, and so please confirm this with your doc.

lastly, i too had bread and butter prior to my glucose test, i think meals can contribute a little, but again not sure, so please ask your doc for the same.. as i am not a doctor or physician, till now whatever i have told you is totally on the basis of my experience and my doctor's words.

i wish you all the luck and please take care....... ;-)