Any IT ladies sitting at home - Idea for Android grocery app

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by swahini, Jun 17, 2013.

1. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

I am not too sure how ladies here do their grocery shopping. My criteria is, best products for cheapest price. I avoid processed foods at all costs but DS learns new things at the school and prefers to try few things out at home.

I keep a notebook with the items that we liked and the items we hated but it so happens that I do not carry this list with me all the time (Even putting it on Google drive and checking it while shopping does not work).

So I was looking for an android app, where you could scan the product bar code, it will pull the information from the web and then you can add information related to it. You rate the product and make notes about it in one section. Now when you are at the store, all you have to do is scan the barcode of the product. If it is already in the database, it will flash with your rating, price you paid and the comment. This will help 2 ways
    - You will not buy the product you hated again
    - You will also know what price you paid in the past. If its cheaper or same, you will buy otherwise you will not.

Anybody likes this idea? And willing to develop app? I can give detailed idea if interested. Not interested in any money you will make from it.

2. pallavik96

pallavik96 New IL'ite

HI Swahini,
    i liked your idea.Can you please give me detailed information regarding this? So,you want to develop android application for this? i have some knowledge on handheld device..

3. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

Are you located in the US or in India? This most likely will not be useful. AFAIK, there are no weekly flyers in India on grocery (left India more than a decade ago so don't know the current status though.)

4. sankasailaja

sankasailaja Bronze IL'ite

i like it,its very nice