1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Edison

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by Meetalinigam, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Meetalinigam

Meetalinigam New IL'ite

Hi All , Me ,My husband and 2 yr old shall be moving to NJ next week on L1 , L2 ,
    After initial support from company we will have to find out apptmt for ourselves

We have done some research on Nj and finalised Edison to live . but yet to find out an apptmnt out there . Since we will not be having any car for initial few weeks . it would be great if we get something near to train station as my husband will be working at Manhattan .

Looking out for advice on what will be a good place within Edison , and what will be approximate monthly rent for a decent 1BHK with / without inunit laundry.

Is SSN a must for getting the lease done . or can we get apparment lease done even b4 that .

What is procedure of getting a SSN / DL .

Any idea on Leasing a Car is also welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Meetali

2. Hemamuru

Hemamuru New IL'ite

Hi ,

Well come to NJ. You can stay one or two weeks in Hotel, ( request your DH's employer to book for two weeks) , getting a apartment is not the easy in NJ. And you will not get the SSN as soon as you come in. So better extend your stay in hotel where you can cook by yourself( Extended stay, there are so many motels in NJ, where you can cook by yourself). Get the International drivers lic for you and your Husband, Dont think of spending 1000 rupees in Indai, the IDL will be useful to get DL in NJ, If you have luck, You will get the DL without the road test, ( some of the DMV office they will give DL without the road test).

When you stay in hotel you will find the car lease, E Enterprises is one of the car lease which i know, there are so many, Here in Nj almost like India, More Indian, more competition for apartment, job etc., but you will not miss your home country. When you are coming dont bring more Grocery items, try to bring all indian cooking vessel( dosa tava, steel bowl, chapati roller, and indian medicine for your infant. Most of the apartment will ask SSN for leasing,

Have a nice journey : DOnt forget to GET International drivers lic for both

3. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Apartments near Edison train station
    Blueberry village/Edison village - walkable distance to the station- not sure if it has laundry inside unit
    Rivendell at Edison - ~1 mile from edison - laundry inside unit

Apartment near Metro park station (its also in Edison township)
    Hidden valley - walkable distance from train station - not sure about laundry inside unit.

you can check the rent in bestrentnj.com

you can also checkout the place bayonne, nj also for similar/cheaper rent +indian community+commute to manhattan.

If you have kids, i would suggest taking an apartment with laundry inside. It will be difficult in winter otherwise.

4. Fatima19

Fatima19 New IL'ite

I want to move to Edison ASAP as presently we (myself, husband and 3 years old kid) are in a hotel. Can anyone please let me know which is the best apt available with rent around 1000 to 1200$ and close to metropark station or easy commute to station as my husband need to commute daily and of course with regular requirements like Indian community, free of bugs, safe place,.... Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.