1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with bragging parents !

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by flysauc, Jun 8, 2013.

1. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

I have a indian lady whose son is in my daughters class. she always hops along with me when i go out shopping or when i go for workouts. And everytime she will be bragging about how his only son is smart, confident and good at studies. Whenever they have any tests she will compare their scores and will start bragging how good her son is doing.

i have tried not telling her my daughters score, but she plays around and makes her son get the information from my daughter in class. i am extremely irritated and it gives me tremendous stress when she comes and tells me how much so and so kid scored and how good her son is at drawing,painting music . Her Son scores more than my daughter who is also good at studies , but she gets some satisfaction in comparing my child.
    The same is when she hops with me to shopping or workout, she will keep telling how fast she looses weight and how much she is shopping and gifting her friends and relatives.

I am in a big confusion ... how to get myself away from her since i dont want to be rude since both kids are in same class. she keeps calling me every other dayr and tries to stick to me like a leech .

2. YaminiC

YaminiC Silver IL'ite

Hi flysauc,

when she talks about her son u also start praising ur daughter like she is a quick learner and she is good at something blah blah ..... don't give chance to her to tell about her son just go on telling about ur daughter .... don't be rude just reduce answering her calls if at all she asks about the calls tell that u didn't see her call or i am busy with some work like that .... dont avoid completely just reduce talking to her .

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Nimbu

Nimbu Silver IL'ite

Hello Flysauc..At times we have to forget about what the other person might think. You don't have to be rude but use some polite words and try to convey the message clear that you won't entertain such talks.
    Example:

1. I want to join with you for the workouts..sorry your talks are making me stressed citing the incident---- I believe if you could rather not make a mention of it every time.
    2. Simply blame on your DH ..he doesn't like me going about out this way..:rant
    3. Avoid her sticking to you change your workout time/place..shop at different time. Say becos of XYZ reason had to change the time for workout / have some other plans and might shop later.

Try 1. .if you feel its bit harsh. Move on to 2 or 3.

Good Luck to stop the leech sticking & sucking your brains.:hide:

2 people like this.
  4. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

Yamini she is so self boasting .... i m stunned and not able to talk anything. she will also openly advise me how my daughter is impulsive and how i need to push him more in studies. Unluckily she herself is a teacher.
    Even i dont want to encourage her but she comes finding me.

She always tries to highlight how his son scores more than my daughter and how he is winner in everything he does. Literally i don't want to get into the Rat race and it doesnt come naturally to me.(i m not boasting here... i just go into silent mode when people do that).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  5. YaminiC

YaminiC Silver IL'ite

ohh i thought that if u do as i said then she will come to know what she is doing but now i think it will not work out. Then as nimbu said u can follow her 2nd point to avoid her.

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Why don't u take an example of an imaginary woman, and explain how stupid u feel of her.. Tell whatever you want by playing that you are talking about this imaginary woman.

You can't have the cake and eat it too. If you are Stressed do something, nothing will happen on it's on, Stand up and be a role model for your daughter, that u won't be a silent receiver of this and not do anything about it.

6 people like this.
  7. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

she sounds like one of those insecure, immature people who need to boast to boost an underlying lack of belief in their own self worth. total waste of mindspace to hang out with them. best thing is to stop all contact with her or keep it to a minimum. change gym and shopping time, tell her you are busy whenever she tries to include herself. get busy with a phone call when she starts on her monologues. make new friends!

4 people like this.
  8. Cathyg

Cathyg New IL'ite

life is too short to put up with such people. just be silent when she goes on her rant , avoid her at all costs..if she is affecting your mental state of mind you should have some respect for yourself and keep away from her..always give priority to yourself first

3 people like this.
  9. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

Well, that must be such an unpleasant experience; you could try to change your routine and act busy whenever she approaches you.

If she fails to take a hint, then I am afraid you'll have to blank her...and make new friends.

2 people like this.
  10. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

Coolwinds she is not only insecure but at the same time openly comments on my daughter, she collects all details on what goes in the class. i too observed that her son always keep tattling about my daughter ... he will tattle about her even if she sneezes.

I am trying my level best to be away but i dread the every morning call from her . But i need to take a firm stand since she is attacking me from all sides like boasting at the same time constantly putting down my daughter.
    Intially i was confused whether i am being insecure since her sons scores more maybe thats why i was feeling little odd.

1 person likes this.