All Working Mom- How do you do?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Chitravivek, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

I am just curious how all working mom are managing the work and personal life.. Especially Cooking. I am just tired.. I get at 5.00 AM cook and get to work. I go back at 6.00P.M and very tired. Above all I have a toddler who is in her terrible 2's... Its really exhausting.. Any tips of cooking or cooking easily? I have not mastered the art of cooking over the weekend for a week and freezing it.. That really bothers me as I try to give fresh cooked food to my toddler.. Your experiences please?

1 person likes this.

2. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

While I dont have a toddler, i have a 6 month old and started working when he was 2 months old. Ask your husband to share cooking responsibilities. even if doesn't know cooking , he can help you with cleaning and cutting vegetables etc..If he doesnt support you, then hire a maid to do it. It is DH's responsibility to run a family and take care of kids as much as your, isnt it?

3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.. My hubby helps a lot.. without his help I would be nothing.. Touch wood :)

4. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

That is great! Typically what my husband and i do is set an agenda for ourselves. Once i come back from work, if i take care of feeding my son, then he should take care of bathing him.if do cooking, then he cleans. One day in a week we give each other a full break so that they can rejuvenate. It still is hard, but atleast the realization that that both parents are trying their best helps and motivates.

5. Nimbu

Nimbu Silver IL'ite

Great Chitravivek that your DH helps!! If you are still unable to manage ..get a maid. Don't overburden yourself. Weekdays try to plan your work like simple cooking and regular minimal cleaning. Weekend try to relax as much as possible this might help you to balance the busy week ahead.

6. olivellam

olivellam Silver IL'ite

I work full time with 2 kids - 10 and 7, i actually prefer toddlers, you do not have drive them to classes. that has not begun for you yet. Instead of cooking for the entire week over the weekend, cook for two days. I used to cook on Sundays - 3 veggies, one sambar, one rasam to cover me till Wed. And then cook something on Wednesdays so I can cover till Friday.

Sundals are one more option, soak them in the weekend and freeze them, whenever you need them, take it out, pressure cook for 2 whistles, use MTR curry powder and season it.

If you feel guilty about providing fresh food to the toddler, atleast chop veggies and freeze them. that way you are not spending too much time in the ktichen. There are wonderful threads here about freezing, storing cut veggies etc.

You can grind batter, make chapathi dough balls so you don't have to start from scratch. Try to have atleast two evenings cooking free so you won't feel overwhelmed. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Plan your tasks, utilize the Sundays, prepare the raw material for weekday cooking beforehand